Skip to content

I'm happy they're holding it off, are you?

WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
I'm SO relieved they're waiting few months. I knew it wasn't ready, things just were rushed. They were very mature to admit they weren't done and let us down easy.

I'm not disappointed, I don't even care man. I'm happy to wait, because I get a better game.

So to all the people complaining, be happy because the more they work the more you have.

Comments

• Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    edited September 2012
    I don't believe anyone is happy about it being pushed back because 4 days from release, the majority of us made the reasonable assumption that the game was ready. Sure, we're happy that they're actually taking care of such an amazing game, ensuring it's ready but PR wise, it was a bit silly.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited September 2012
    I'd be happy to be invisible; I need to write a paper on the invisible man. Invisible - hidden in plain sight; kinda like Dexter Morgan; less blood. This post clearly doesn't do me good.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Ward said:

I'm SO relieved they're waiting few months. I knew it wasn't ready, things just were rushed. They were very mature to admit they weren't done and let us down easy.

I'm not disappointed, I don't even care man. I'm happy to wait, because I get a better game.

So to all the people complaining, be happy because the more they work the more you have.

Not sure "happy" is the right word. Like I said in another post about the delay, it's a ten year old game. I'm just glad that they're doing it at all.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Relieved?

I'm pretty upset, honestly. Don't get me wrong; I want the finished product to be good and not buggy. But 4 days from launch?

If you're having trouble getting things along with the development process, you really need to give your fans a bigger head's up. I pre-ordered just last Monday because I am not in the habit of pre-ordering at all but if I'm going to, it's never more than a week before it comes out.
  • jfliederjflieder Member Posts: 115
    Variety is the spice of life. Take the good with the bad; how fun would life be if everything went exactly as expected? An a little anticipation won't ruin the moment of arrival, if fact it may do the opposite.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    It doesn't really bother me. I was going to put off playing it seriously until it got some updates, anyway. I was maybe just going to mess around a bit with character creation and in Candlekeep, and then leave off to play other stuff until I have more time to savor the "new" experience.

I've got a lot going on in real life until around Christmas anyway, so a December release will suit me just fine, especially if it gets released with most "updates" already done. Even then, I probably won't start a serious run with intent to finish until at least December 18, after my annual Christmas musical performance rush is done.

It's giving me something to look forward to, rather than being a temptation to get distracted from real life concerns that I should be giving most of my attention to.

Christmas and late-spring/early-summer releases work out the best for me.
  • KukarachaKukaracha Member Posts: 256
    I'm glad they don't rush the release and put more importance on the quality side of things.

Aside from that, I'm not a whiny b*tch (many gamers seem to lack the self-control to take delays without throwing a tantrum).
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I don't think any of you should have assumed it was finished, why you would I don't know. The bug reports were flooding in and the beta testers were still handling the same problems while translating was not even near finished.

Based on the reports we recieved and the work which has been done plus all the screenshots which featured unfinished GUI, the game was not ready to release and it was just a matter of time before they called the delay.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @ward

i feel what you're trying to say, but understand my situation. i'm in usa, my wife is in philippines. been trying to get her and my sons here for a few years. I'm going for a visit the first week of oct for a few weeks. We visit as much as we can afford, but we have to save to get them here. One of the things i was going to do while i was there was show her the game and try to get her into it.

we play games to spend time when we can. My trip wasn't based off of showing her BG:EE, but it really sucks that it got delayed. I showed her the original game before but it hurts her eyes because of the way it's built, and i believe the zoom feature will make a difference. She's not great on this type of game but she learns fast. So yeah, some of us are annoyed with the delay, and the lateness of the delay for various reasons. I wanted to watch her play through the game for the first time (when we tried to play before, it was on multi). It makes me feel like i'm playing through it for the first time and it makes me happy to watch my wife embrace something i enjoy, something i've always done.

So no, i'm not happy about it. I understand it, i accept it, and i predicted it. Shit does happen. But no one is happy about the delay. They WILL be happy with a better final product, but not the delay.

This rant wasn't meant to be hateful or anything, just trying to explain why i'm not happy about it. :P
    @bjjorick Be thankful bro, if she saw the new GUI her eyes would not function anymore. You're better off they delayed it, hopefully soon you can show her it and it be an unpainful venture.
    @ward
    i know, and just wish the time was done and we could just be together in one place, heh, but i need to put my frustrations somewhere, and the delay is a good scape goat, even if that's not how i truely feel. :)
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Better delayed than cancelled or buggy, no? ;)

I'm fine with it. Baldur's Gate has to be perfect and shiny, the EE is *no* exception! :o
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I did kind of wonder whether some people actually planned vacation time or personal time from work based on the false release date. I had a feeling that a lot of people would have done so. I feel really sorry for them - if I had done the same, the disappointment would have been crushing.

So I think "happy that it's delayed" is too strong a choice of words for anybody. I do think it's better that they took the time they needed rather than to release an unfinished product. And, as I've said, Christmastime is much better timing for me personally, because I wasn't really going to have much time to get into it with a September release anyway.

But I do feel awful for those people who had their plans ruined, and who could have scheduled or rescheduled their work commitments more appropriately if they had had more notice.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Ward said:

Or could it be that everyone happy/relieved about the delay is experiencing cognitive dissonance?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The beta testers are relieved, I can tell you that for certain. We're not happy that the delay is necessary, but we're glad that Overhaul made the decision to go ahead with it.
    @Mortianna I like how whenever somebody says "I knew it" like I did, that somebody hilarious feels clever to jump in and say "Lolz no u didn't knew it you just know it now".

Yes I did know it. The game was not ready and I don't know why I was the only person who realized that.

Instead of linking people to biased wikipedia pages to furthur support your self proclaimed Ph.D in psychology, refrain from picking fights on the internet with strangers, it's unnecessary and obnoxious.
    @Ward Defensive much? I made a lighthearted comment that was not intended to rile up emotions. We engage in cognitive dissonance more often than we would care to admit. It doesn't mean you're weak or stupid.

The Wikipedia page provided an accurate and informed overview of cognitive dissonance, in my opinion. I don't normally advocate its use, but academic studies have shown that, for the most part, the information contained on its pages is quite reliable. And, for your information, I do not have a PhD in psychology. I am a PhD candidate in sociology, however.
    @Mortianna I don't condone the use of Wikipedia as an accurate overview of anything, mostly because for more important matters than philosophy, bureaucrats edit Wikipedia to spread biased and business motivated opinions to furthur their propaganda.

I won't go into it, but due to the corruption of business and politics on Wikipedia I don't rely on it, but this page seems fine.

It is difficult to tell lighthearted comments apart because people's intentions in this place are hidden behind computer screens. I apologize if I mistook.
    @Ward No big deal. Sorry if I sounded like an ass. The written word is easy to misconstrue, especially on message boards. Agreed on the unreliability of Wikipedia, although the references can be helpful if you're looking to pursue a topic or issue in further depth.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Ward said:

I don't think any of you should have assumed it was finished, why you would I don't know. The bug reports were flooding in and the beta testers were still handling the same problems while translating was not even near finished.

Based on the reports we recieved and the work which has been done plus all the screenshots which featured unfinished GUI, the game was not ready to release and it was just a matter of time before they called the delay.

People not in the beta probably don't pay attention to the beta forums. I know I don't.

I assumed it was finished because we were a week away from launch and new screenshots were getting released all the time. Anyone not paying attention to the bug/beta forums would have thought things were going swimmingly.

4 days before launch is not acceptable. If bugs were so rampant they had to delay it two months, they could have known a long time before that making the original deadline was a pipedream and could have warned us then. But 4 days before launch? Sorry, man. That is not acceptable. People will assume it's finished simply because the launch was so near and there was no press release to make us feel otherwise.
    @sandmanCCL I do support you that they waited far too long. Things weren't going well though because they hadn't set up any real promotion.

The screenshots were choppy and things weren't progressing. They made no great advert on bg.com about the 18th.
    edited September 2012
    Ward said:

@Mortianna I like how whenever somebody says "I knew it" like I did, that somebody hilarious feels clever to jump in and say "Lolz no u didn't knew it you just know it now".

Yes I did know it. The game was not ready and I don't know why I was the only person who realized that.

Instead of linking people to biased wikipedia pages to furthur support your self proclaimed Ph.D in psychology, refrain from picking fights on the internet with strangers, it's unnecessary and obnoxious.

lol, trust me @ward, i knew it too, i just didn't expect 2 and 1/2 months, i thought at worst, a Halloween release.

tell you what, so long as they fix the UI ALOT, i'll be happy with the delay. :)
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    @Ward - well maybe I'm not the HAPPIEST, but I agree that if it's rushed it won't be nearly as good as everyone thinks it will.