Skip to content

Troubles with Chapter 6 - SPOILERS

Hi guys,

I am stuck at the end of Chapter 6, at the part where I travel to the Graveyard to meet Bodhi and get ambushed by her vampires. No matter what time of day I travel there, the time is forwarded to midnight. Normally when about to fight vampires I cast Negative Plane Resistance on all of my party in order to stop level drain. But because the time gets forwarded all buffs where off before the ambush, and my characters are dead or level drained in seconds. Any ideas on how to get past this?

Many thanks,

Falthas

Comments

• FalthasFalthas Member Posts: 7
    *wear
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    if you can try casting mass invisibility as soon as you get into the area, and make sure party AI is turned off, if you do it fast enough you can at least put your team in a better position so you don't have all the vampires just chillin by your back line characters, also as long as you don't cast any offensive spells, you can buff up a bit ( although you wont be able to cast spells on other team mates because they will be invisibile - and watch out, haste counts as an offensive spell)

and then if you have someone like anomen or aerie, you can give them the amulet of power and beef them up with protection spells, and then attack with the character using the amulet of power and then just running in circles trying to avoid getting hit while you have other characters in the back summoning in summon monsters to help distract the vampires while everyone else can attack from long range

the level 7 mage spell mass invisibility is your friend, it is a brutally wicked spell

this similar tactic will also help later on in ToB when this scenario happens again
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2016
    You can have every party member gulp a potion of invisibility at the start of the combat, surely you have dozens now. This protects you from the first shock wave of the ambush, and you can buff/plan at your leisure.

For protection from level drain, Minsc and Korgan can berserk, casters can use the amulet of power, clerics can cast negative protection, and use weapons like Azuredge, Daystar, or mace of disruption. Improved mace of distruption even grants immunity to level drain, but improving it is a bit tricky quest. Use helmets of charm protection or chaotic commands spell or gulp potions of invulnerability to boost your saves against their dominating gaze.

Daystar's sunray ability also has a good chance to instantly turn vampires to dust. Or purchase a protection from undead scroll from one of the temples (Maybe Lathander had some? Or try Ilmater and Helm shrines scattered throughout the city) use it on one good fighter, buff also with giant strength potion and oil of speed, get one of the undead slaying weapons mentioned above, and he can even make Buffy the vampire slayer jealous. You can even pity the vampires.

Lastly, if you have a high enough lvl cleric, she can turn undead while invisible. Viconia was able to dominate many fledgling vampires in my game, though we were of high level. I pit them against each other and picked the left overs myself. Aerie's multiclass status makes her turn ability rather weak against powerful entities like vampires. Anomen is your next best candidate for that.

Really, there are so many ways to counter and decimate undead foes in the game.
  • FalthasFalthas Member Posts: 7
    Wow thanks for the in depth response guys, if I can't do it with those suggestions there will be point playing the game!
  • sansserifsansserif Member Posts: 125
    edited March 2016
    lunar wrote: »
    You can have every party member gulp a potion of invisibility at the start of the combat, surely you have dozens now. This protects you from the first shock wave of the ambush, and you can buff/plan at your leisure.

For protection from level drain, Minsc and Korgan can berserk, casters can use the amulet of power, clerics can cast negative protection, and use weapons like Azuredge, Daystar, or mace of disruption. Improved mace of distruption even grants immunity to level drain, but improving it is a bit tricky quest. Use helmets of charm protection or chaotic commands spell or gulp potions of invulnerability to boost your saves against their dominating gaze.

Daystar's sunray ability also has a good chance to instantly turn vampires to dust. Or purchase a protection from undead scroll from one of the temples (Maybe Lathander had some? Or try Ilmater and Helm shrines scattered throughout the city) use it on one good fighter, buff also with giant strength potion and oil of speed, get one of the undead slaying weapons mentioned above, and he can even make Buffy the vampire slayer jealous. You can even pity the vampires.

Lastly, if you have a high enough lvl cleric, she can turn undead while invisible. Viconia was able to dominate many fledgling vampires in my game, though we were of high level. I pit them against each other and picked the left overs myself. Aerie's multiclass status makes her turn ability rather weak against powerful entities like vampires. Anomen is your next best candidate for that.

Really, there are so many ways to counter and decimate undead foes in the game.

Dorn (with The Visage) and Hexxat are immune to level drain.

I couldn't equip the Azuredge on Korgan coz of his alignment, but he or Dorn can use the Daystar. A cleric could equip the Mace of Disruption, I had Viconia and her turn undead feat actually dominated the Fledging Vampires..

The Daystar's Sunray ability, in my experience, can do up to 1035 damage to vampires and undead.

The Mace of Disruption +2 instantly kills undead if they fail their save.

I don't recall having much trouble with this part, though, basically due to my party's levels at this point.

Storyline-based, it will always be *night* when you enter the area.