Skip to content

Change reputation system

O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
The reputation system in Infinity Engine games is my pet peeve, because it has dual functions. It stands for how people see your party, but also for "morality level" of your party. This prevents:
- being "hidden" villain (very evil type of person, who's reputation is high).
- being hated hero (the reverse situation)

Also, currently reputation system limits the player. In order to evil party members to be happy, you have to have low reputation, for example. This punishes the player, as low reputation often makes prices in the shop insane (more about that later).

What I would suggest, is to divide reputation to: reputation and morality. Reputation should be how people around you see you and your party (affects prices in the shop etc.), while morality should be, well, morality level for your party (mainly needed to make your party happy and prevent them from leaving, it may also be used for some interactions).

I think that good/evil acts should affect your morality pretty much always, but reputation only if there were witnessed or people who, as result of your action, can speak of your deeds. If you kill someone innocent in the middle of nowhere, your morality drops, but not reputation. If you summon a Balor or transform into the Slayer in the middle of the city, then yes, both your reputation and morality drops.

And finally, prices. I think they should be based on reputation. That being said, not always good/bad reputation should result in higher/lower prices. It should depend on the person you're making deal with. Fence should react differently to your reputation than esquire. And priest of Talos should react differently than priest of Lathander.

I hope the idea makes sense. Cheers.

Comments

• SvarSvar Member Posts: 157
    In some cases, it doesn't even make sense for characters to object to your change in reputation. Like why would Viconia dislike you for improving what others think of you when she stands to gain quite a lot from it if you're looked upon favourably?
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @Svar
    Exactly. That's one of many problems of current reputation system.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    I'd like to direct your attention to the Virtue mod, which does precisely what you're looking for, with the caveat that I have no idea if it will work on EE or not.
    @CamDawg
    I am aware of virtue mod, but, one, I don't think it work with EEs, BG1:EE especially. Two, it doesn't offer different reactions to various character based on reputation.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Great idea! I have never tried the Virtue mod, but I am now sad that it doesn't work on EE
    Great idea! I have never tried the Virtue mod, but I am now sad that it doesn't work on EE

I have tried it and it was awesome. In BGT, it wasn't fully working with BG1 content, if my memory serves me well. Hence I think that mod would not work with BG:EE.

And I decided to suggest a change to the system.