By accident I found an interesting feature in V188.8.131.52, that may have been there earlier. I was using BGEE but, since the file allowing it is only present in BG2EE, it shoud work too.
By mistake I moved "engine.lua" file away from the game directory. When I ran BGEE, I couldn't find any of my save games. So I created a new game, saved it, and started looking where it had been saved. It was in a new directory in Documents named "Infinity Engine - Enhanced Edition\save".
I checked Redmine for a potential issue but couldn't find any report. Then I checked my configuration a bit further and noticed the absence of "engine.lua".
After moving it back to where it was supposed to be, I could load my older save games.
Then I experimented with the content of "engine.lua".
engine_name = "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition"
engine_mode = 0 -- 0 = BGEE, 1 = BG2EE, 2 = IWDEE
Obviously "Infinity Engine - Enhanced Edition" is a default name if nothing is provided.
The interesting thing is that you can customize engine_name. Experiment shows this is used to name the directory created in Documents.
This is great as you can now create different environments for each configuration of the game you may keep in parallel: bare installation, with X and Y mods, etc. This brings back the equivalent capabilities of multiple installations in the original games, where each installation had its own set of saves.
Or, with a single installation, you can keep you save games for different characters separated from each other. Switching between characters would only require to change the directory name in engine.lua.