Skip to content

Dragon Age:Origins

124»

Comments

• sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    My biggest problem with Sten is he can only take 1 specialization class. For whatever reason, he just doesn't get one at level 7 and every other NPC starts out with one. He's a good enough NPC simply because it's super hard to make someone useless, but still.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    In the end it doesn't really matter as most of the specializations available aren't optimal for a two-handed warrior (as far as I am concerned, only Berserker is. Champion is more for Sword and shield, Templar as well, although for Oghren it fits well enough (immunity to magic), while Reaver... I don't know, never liked that specialization myself. Sure it can have its uses, but personally, I'm more of a Berserker-Templar lover XD

@Arveragus : I believe Oghren is one of @Kitteh_On_A_Cloud's favorites as well :P
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Cheesebelly: Well, he's one of those characters that grows on you, I'd say. I actually didn't have any companion I really disliked in Origins. Sten was a bit annoying at times, but his distant-ness (?) is just part of his personality and/or culture, I guess. You just gotta tell him who's boss and surprisingly it works well enough most of the times. :p
    Yeah, basically if you go on him like "Oh, you care about cookies, so sweeeeet!" he'll hate you, but if you go on telling him : "Shut up and listen. I am the leader here, and if you don't shut that stupid mouth of yours, I'll take away ALL of your sweets D: " he'll love you XD

I just love how Oghren passes from one that doesn't care about the Grey Warden into someone that could potentially call him/her family :)
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    It was fun to play - once. So long and thanks for the fish.

Fade was nice.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    Learning how to talk to Sten is a great way to help understand the Qunari culture, it's a shame DA2 didn't really have an equivalent method.
  • ArveragusArveragus Member Posts: 62
    @State_Lemming
    From recollection in relation to DA2, the fact that your most scantily dressed colleague had taken possession of one of thw Qunari's top relics without their consent ultimately proved to be a bit of a conversation killer :}
  • AdaramAdaram Member Posts: 146

Hi, is anybody else playing DA:O while waiting for BG:EE? I started playing with it again, and I'm having a really good time. It's got good tactical combat as long as you keep the difficulty slider turned up, an interesting character skills progression, and good npc relationships.

I can really see the "spiritual successor" thing now.

It's quite an epic game, even though I don't think it's got quite the replayability of BG. Too bad they ruined it after DA:O with the successor expansions and games.

If you're playing, what party configuration(s) are you using, and why? Do you use mods? Who is your favorite romance interest?

I started another campaign last week. Daelish Elf Rogue. I am not very far in, but like you said, it feels good to play with a tactical combat interface again :)

I think I was one of the few classic Baldur's Gate players of old which didn't appreciate the top-down camera of Dragon age *at all* - mostly because I couldn't go around looking freely throughout the map, which was a shame for me personally. I mostly played DA:O only on driving camera mode, felt more natural to me really. Call me crazy :P
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    @Cheesebelly: We all know you're crazy. :p *hugs*
    The top down camera is a nice feature, but the game was designed around the driving camera, so in most cases that is what I prefer.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I totally disagree with that. I found trying to do the drive camera ala console style made me nautious and I couldn't ever figure out what was going on. Top-down worked wonders. Reminded me more of NWN than anything else.

I'm glad they included it for PCs because if it wasn't allowed, I doubt I would have enjoyed the game as much as I did.
    The top-down camera was handy when I wanted to be exact with my AOE spells, but I found a lot of the time I couldn't get a good look at archers and mages outside of the general fray.

Have you ever played NWN2? That, for me anyway, is the only driving camera that made me woozy. :P

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I used both cameras. Top down for combat when I wanted overview, then down-low when meandering about. I personally think they weren't particularly problematic. Not like NwN2's camera, which makes the game more or less u.playable for me. Definitely the worst part of those games... Which is a shame, because I really want to replay MotB some day.

I have found, though, that playing with one character only (like in multiplayer) makes the NwN2 camera much easier to handle and much, much less grating. It's the party situation that kills it for me, which is a shame for a party based game.