Skip to content

Weapon(s) of choice

odessa333odessa333 Member Posts: 59
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)

Hi all!

With a LOT more free time till BGEE comes out, I'm looking for new things to research, and decided I'd try weapons. It seems every time I play BG1, I always end up using bows and two handed swords for everyone who can use them, then defaulting to hammers and slings for those who can't. Maces, halberds, spears, axes, cross bows, daggers... they just don't seem to measure up (to me) for some reason. I'm going to be trying out different weapons for my eventual fighter, but thought it might be interesting to get people's thoughts on the types of weapons, and why you use them. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    For my favorite main, a dwarf fighter/cleric, I've always used warhammers and flails. Obviously for the bonuses that Crom Faeyr grants as an offhand weapon, and for the sheer damage output of the Flail of Ages, +5.

Besides, flails are awesome.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    My NPC will always use the weapons they have proficiency points assign to them. Minsc always uses a longbow, a 2 hand sword and a mace. Jaheira uses a club, a sling and a scimitar.

The fighter pc usually uses a longsword, a katana in 2 weapons style with the flail as the blunt weapon of choice. I wish to try out other weapons like the halberd and spear, but I couldnt find any good ones near the start of the game (I played bg2 and tob only).
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165

For my favorite main, a dwarf fighter/cleric, I've always used warhammers and flails. Obviously for the bonuses that Crom Faeyr grants as an offhand weapon, and for the sheer damage output of the Flail of Ages, +5.

Besides, flails are awesome.

Dwarf fighter/cleric is also my favorite class. When BGEE comes out I will spec warhammers in BG1 for the Warhammer +2 then dual wield the Flail of Ages and Defender of Easthaven in BG2. I don't use the Crom Faeyr because it's really easy to get 25 str with cleric buffs.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    edited September 2012
    The best weapon in bg1 is a scimitar, a large sword weapon type. Daggers i think next, but never used. That would be small sword weapon type.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I always loved the Flail of Ages. Even if I thought it was really stupid to have your ultimate weapon scattered all over in case you had to get to it. That'd be like keeping an M60 for protection but disassembled and spread all over your home.

Really I tried to spread the weapon proficiencies of the party out so I could use as wide a variety of weapons as possible. This was more of an issue in BG2 since they did away with weapon groups. But no type of weapon was really my favorite.
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    I always like greatswords. In just about every RPG I play, my first character uses a greatsword. It might be from my love of Carsomyr though.
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    The +2 Hammer +1 Electrical Damage in BG1 was by far the best weapon I've found while playing. If you made a Cleric / Ranger you could cast Holy Might to buff your strength and it's speed factor would interrupt spells, and it was also Blunt so it'd kill against most armors insofar as bonuses go...and it was deadly against Golems. By far my favorite weapon. Crom Faeyr and Flail of the Ages were my faves in BG2
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    In one of my earlier ToB playthroughs I instant killed many enemies with the Ravager +6. A halberd was basically axe (slashing) and spear (piercing) combined into one. The Ravager +6 was my favorite weapon back then, but not anymore. Now I find it much more satisfying to see an enemy's HP roll down, rather than dropping to zero in an instant.
  • AesgarethAesgareth Member Posts: 16
    Ravager kicks all kinds of ass for Sarevok though in ToB. In BG1 Short Sword of Backstabbing (i used it for my thief which became a swashbuckler in BG2) rocks. There are also a couple of decent two handed swords if i remember correctly
  • MrKrisSatanMrKrisSatan Member Posts: 75
    I like talking swords...
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    edited September 2012

For BG, take a look at the speed of all the weapons, esp ranged weapons. Darts do less base damage than other missile weapons, but they're faster and allow for more attacks per round. If thrown by someone with a decent thac0, that could mean higher overall damage in longer fights.

Another example: Give Coran or Shar-teel two+ pips in Missiles (BG1) or Crossbows (BGTutu) and equip them with the Light Crossbow of Speed and magic bolts. They'll practically machine-gun down groups of mages.

That gold warhammer is probably the best 1h weapon in the game, but keep in mind that plain warhammers do *less* damage than other crushing weapons. For the scope of the first game, this might mean needing to get that weapon as early as possible.

Spider's Bane is a great 2h sword that grants Free Action, but given that ranged weapons and AC are so important in BG1, I think it's slightly less attractive than it otherwise would be.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Gold warhammer does 5-8 damage weapon (1d4 +3, +1el), of which the electrical part can be resisted.

certain 1h swords are 4-11 damage weapons and additionally grant various bonuses, like +2 to AC or +50% fire resistance.

certain daggers do 9-12 damage
  • WonKoWonKo Member Posts: 72
    On my original playthroughs always enjoyed the Great Swords. Just seemed to make the most sense to my adolescent mind. It's in the name really.
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    If the Kensai class was altered to be more like PnP (with a weapon of choice eventually being a +5 weapon) it would add alot to the roleplaying of that class and the game for me.
  • GriegGrieg Member Posts: 507
    Maybe crossbow of speed? Pretty nice instead of bow, one more bolt shot in a round is always helpful. There are some one handed swords that could be used instead 2-handed. For clerics I always used a maces (especially this mace that destroys undead).

Offtopic: Weapon of choice that was the first thing that come to my mind when I saw this thread.
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    I like my CHARNAME's fists with a sling by my side...maybe a magic katana in my bag..
    ye my favourite main is a monk!! :P
    I would bring a magic bo stick, but sadly no bo sticks in BG and monk can only wield one-hand weapon
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    In ToB Korgan is the first to gain godlike powers, when he gets the Axe of Unyielding +5 and the biggest shield. He could basically kill a dragon from Shadows of Amn with that. Alone. And anyone who isn't immune to decapitating, if he gets lucky or gets to fight them long enough.

Carsomyr +6 is very awesome too. I still have to try a fighter/paladin or a paladin/fighter dualclass that has GM in dual handed swords and wears the Seldarine amulet together with both rings of Kangaxx. That must get the magic resistance up to around 80% if I remember correctly. Also, there are the bonuses to magic resistance from the last fight in BG2 and from Lums machine in Watchers Keep, so the resistance can be potentially even higher.
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86
    I like the dagger of venom in BG1. The poison damage is great versus everything but especially against spellcasters, and it is available early and easily. I once made a berserker who used it and a large shield, it was pretty awesome.

For BG2 the Celestial Fury is definite favorite, I'm currently playing a fighter/mage who uses Celestial Fury/Mace of Disruption (for the undead and golems) in main hand and Dak'kon's Zerth Blade in the offhand.
  • odessa333odessa333 Member Posts: 59
    Hm, I hadn't even considered the BG2 weapons, and I'm sure there are a lot of nice ones out there. I wonder what the 'top' weapons are? I might need to do more research lol.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited September 2012
    I'll take a scimitar or a stave any day. Not even Malchor Harpell himself shall hold me back from using Drizzt's best scimitar.
    If the ranger class works like it did in BG2 (IE: dual wielding weapons is now available), I would say that the Gold +2 Warhammer +1 Electrical Dmg and the Staff Mace +2 would be a great dual wield combo. Also there's a +1 Warhammer / +4 vs Giants and the like. I really hope we can dual wield in EE when it's done.
    Technically the Scimitars that Drizzt has are the best weapons...and the Staff of Backstabbing for pure damage, but you can get that Hammer early on if you know what you're doing.
  • Honestly, I gotta go with the Purifier sword in Throne of Baal from Watcher's Keep. I beat the game with that one. And I absolutely loved the sword that made the wielder immune to psionics. Cause Mindflayers can suck it!
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    Any dagger which causes poison, sleep or paralysis + a mage who can cast malison. F'in brilliant. Have your thief hasted and hidden. backstab for enemy mage, the rest get the royal poison/sleep/paralysis treatment.
  • giosantigiosanti Member Posts: 20
    Not counting Drizzt's scimitars, the three best weapons in BG1, considering everything, including at what point you get them, and whether you can use shields with them, are:

the Long Sword +2 from Greywolf at the Nashkel Mines
    the War Hammer +2 from Bassilus near Beregost
    the Dagger of Venom +2 purchased from the Beregost Smithy

Also, two good two-handed weapons that can be obtained relatively early are:

the Quarter Staff +3 purchased from Ulgoth's Beard
    the Spider's Bane +2 from Cloakwood Forest

Other weapons worth mentioning are the Short Sword +2 and the Dagger +2, which are both obtained early. The Staff Mace that you get from Werewolf Island is an improvement on the War Hammer +2, in damage, and also the fact that any class can use it, and it allows a shield. The Battle Axe +2 is good but Kagain is realistically the only character who'd be making use of it. The Throwing Axe +2 is good because it's both for melee and ranged attacks, but it unfortunately doesn't apply a strength damage bonus, and is a late addition from Candlekeep. Halberd +2 is a good weapon, but like the Axe +2, not many NPC's need it, and it's a bad proficiency choice for charname. Kivan is the only one who'd need it, but he could have ** in another weapon by then. Weapons that are acquired so late that they aren't so great include the Scimitar +2, the Staff Spear +2, even the Two Handed Sword +3, and finally the Short Sword +3 and the Longtooth Dagger +2.
  • nptitimnptitim Member Posts: 111
    I have always been drawn toward battle axes and tend to use them whenever possible.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    Crossbow of speed with lightning bolts on a fighter is amazing.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

Crossbow of speed with lightning bolts on a fighter is amazing.

Even better: use the light crossbow w/ POISON bolts - you can pump any spellcaster full of poison before he even has a chance to get a spell off, and the poison will keep him from getting off any spells for the next several rounds.

You could basically own BG1 with the light crossbow of speed & long bow of marksmanship.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    Yes I remember that being fantastic for spell interrupt.

The same applied to the dagger of venom, backstab a mage and laugh as he is interrupted over and over. Solo assassin runs with DoT effect weapons were a lot of fun.
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Suiboon said:

I like the dagger of venom in BG1. The poison damage is great versus everything but especially against spellcasters, and it is available early and easily. I once made a berserker who used it and a large shield, it was pretty awesome.

Agreed. I love that thing. Very useful against flesh golems as well. You can hide, stab (no backstab damage multiple), and then run away while the golem is slowed by the poison for a pretty safe kill while soloing with a thief.