Skip to content

REQUEST: Behold the Power of Baldness, Red Leather Boots and Colour Corrected Jaheiras

LSWSjrLSWSjr Member Posts: 9
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Just a quick request to have Minsc and Sarevok's hair use the same colour code as their skin colour so their paper dolls look bald, also could the two Jaheira's be fixed to use the right hair color in BG1 and a pale (or at least less bright red) skin colour in BG2?

Additionally, in regards to the PC's paper doll, I wouldn't mind having tabs to change the three other colour elements (leather and two metal colours from memory) that make up the paper doll. It would help to differentiate and personalize PCs just that little bit more.

Lastly, if we could have more of the colours avaiable to choose from for the 4-7 different elements of the paper doll. From memory the game has a couple 100 of them, but including all of those would probably be too excessive.

Cheers
Rowan/LSWSjr
Post edited by LSWSjr on

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    About Jaheira, I was about to request this when BG2:EE would be worked on.
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    LSWSjr said:

Lastly, if we could have more of the colours avaiable to choose from for the 4-7 different elements of the paper doll.

This.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Also, would it be possible to have custom paperdolls in the inventory screen that are bald?
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    The paperdoll should look bald enough if the "hair" colour matches the skin colour. I did this in a mod but haven't finished it yet.

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/34869-clerics-get-their-deity-colours/

Also, Minsc should have hair and Edwin should be the bald one if we are paying attention to canon. A Rashemi would be loath to shave his head since it would make him look like a Thayvian.
    Most Rashemi average about five and a half feet in height, with stout and muscular builds. Most are dusky of skin and dark of eye, with thick black hair. Rashemi males are unusually hirsute [hairy] and often sport bushy black beards. Although handsome, many seem almost ursine [bearlike] in nature. Baldness is almost unknown among Rashemi males, although inhabitants of Thay are known to shave all body hair in imitation of the ruling Mulan. (from Races of Faerun)
    There is also a 1PP component that enables more character colours. It is probably already in the game if they incorporated the rest of 1PP.
  • LSWSjrLSWSjr Member Posts: 9
    Miloch said:

Also, Minsc should have hair and Edwin should be the bald one if we are paying attention to canon. A Rashemi would be loath to shave his head since it would make him look like a Thayvian.

Most Rashemi average about five and a half feet in height, with stout and muscular builds. Most are dusky of skin and dark of eye, with thick black hair. Rashemi males are unusually hirsute [hairy] and often sport bushy black beards. Although handsome, many seem almost ursine [bearlike] in nature. Baldness is almost unknown among Rashemi males, although inhabitants of Thay are known to shave all body hair in imitation of the ruling Mulan. (from Races of Faerun)

Technically that doesn't apply here, because that book was a 3rd Edition title and published after Baldur's Gate 1 was made, whether the same held true for the 2nd Edition lore however is unknown to me. Regardless, the clean shaven Minsc has the face the ladies love.

Cheers
    Rowan/LSWSjr
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited September 2012
    The Realms canon remains whatever edition you're in, doesn't it? It doesn't matter if a book was written while 2nd or 3rd edition was in vogue, it's history all the same. That's why they have to insert some calamity to allow them to change everything every time they change a game mechanic...
    Yes and no, it's less simply about what's canon and more what is relevant to the multiverse as it is now.

The major calamities generally occur when they move from one edition to another and they often result in much of the canon being forever changed, Sigil the setting for Planescape Torment isn't the centre of the multiverse anymore because 4th Edition changed the cosmology to being akin to an ocean.

Similar to DC's Crisis events, what's still canon or relevant is what we need to look at here, for example the change from 2nd to 3rd with Vecna's ascension potentially changed any number of things, in some cases it's may have erased or rewritten elements of the past, in other cases it's simply become the point from where things began to move in a different direction.

From a world building point of view, it gives you the opportunity to get things in order and fix what you dislike or think needs a change. So in relation to this discussion, doing a new edition which gives the members of an organisation or culture unified traits serves to help differentiate them clearer from other groups.

That's still not to say that people can't be individuals despite this, 3rd Edition reimaginings or not Edwin spends a great deal of time away from his homeland and is very 'wilful' so what's to stop him growing his hair out? Minsc for his part could be one of the rare bald Rashemi, as even 3rd Edition states baldness is 'almost unknown', that is to suggest that his appearance is rare, but not impossible.

Damn that's a long post just to not even give a clear yes or no answer...

Cheers
    Rowan/LSWSjr
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    Minsc has always been bald. As @LSWSjr pointed out, just because it's almost unknown doesn't mean that it's completely impossible. Dude probably went bald to show off his rad purple tattoo, and I don't blame him.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I'd be in favor of giving Minsc, Sarevok, and any other bald NPCs *cough*Rasaad*cough* a bald portrait and avatar.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I hope they allow truly bald characters. I am using the default bald guy for one of my characters at the moment and he looks ridiculous given he has noticeable hair. Thankfully he can use a helmet to disguise himself.
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    @elminster Don't think that's gonna happen, because that would require editing art assets. Your best bet is picking a Caucasian skintone and using the pink hair.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    @Kithrixx or just be like screw it, bright blue hair for everyone.
    I don't remember if the Gate Keeper editor does it, but the Shadow Keeper editor allows you to change all 7 paper doll colours.

Cheers
    Rowan/LSWSjr