Skip to content

Has Ranged Weapon Distance been Extended to Account for Resolution?

ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
I've bought everything, but am waiting for SOD before I play, but remember spending a few hours with BG:EE when it was released and noticing the limited range of a bow.

So based on memory: PnP states that a bow has a range of 100ft or so. Target a party member at maximum range, and then assume you round up the shoulder span of a character to 3feet, now walk another 2 character's between the bow user and the 'dummy' like a pair of dividers - and if I remember correctly the range is much less than 100ft.

Apologies if this has been updated, just mentally pickturing builds in anticipation of SOD release.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Interestingly, the ranged weapons in the game do use extended ranges. But because targeting is based on the attacker's range of vision, you never really get to benefit from a Longbow's 100-ft range.

Apparently the visibility radius was set to 30 because extending it beyond that caused demons to fly out of the Infinite Void and terrorize the Bioware offices. (That, and it might have caused bugs.)

So to answer the question, no, SoD doesn't extend the visibility radius. But a request to externalize it is definitely something worth bringing up.