Skip to content

NHL lockout

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
Thoughts? I will survive. Mostly because my local NHL hockey team (Toronto Maple Leafs) sucks, and has one, if not the highest prices in the league. But I'm curious to see what others think of this situation.

Comments

• EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    Bruins fan here. Pretty miffed. Have not liked Bettman or Fehr, ever, so I'll flame them incessantly if they don't get a deal done soon.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I will watch hockey occasionally in bars, but for the leafs you generally need speciality stations that I don't have to watch many of their non-playoff games on TV.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    Didn't this happen not long ago as well?
    Back in 2004-05
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    Penguins. And yeah, it all just seems dumb.
  • francfort40francfort40 Member Posts: 20
    As an Quebec Nordiques fan, it doesnt matter until they come back :)
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Just when the Blues start doing really well... I live right down the street from where they play. Hopefully they play this year and we do as well, or better, then last year.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited September 2012
    Hockey died for me when the Oilers left.

EDIT: Actually, the Edmonton Oilers still exist. Not sure why I thought that. o.O
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    edited September 2012
    I'm crying and cursing and gary bettman has already ruined our game so much just to plaease the us viewing audience that he needs to die!!!....lol. Now that that's off my chest yes, i'm sad with no hockey atm but hope something can still be worked out before the season starts(fat chance but gotta hope). In 2004-2005 i blamed the players wholeheartedly specically since they ended up getting blackmailed into accepting an even worse deal than the league initially proposed anyways. But i liked some of them(i do like a soft cap).

But this time, the owners have shown their true colors. Despite near record revenues and profits, they want even MORE from the players? And here i thought all the dictators of the world were either dead or living in the top1% of the richest in the world. I felt the last player proposal was more than fair and balanced for both sides...but noooooo, owners and betty want more. Greedy sob's. I hope they lose their shirts and that this time the players get the better deal.

Go HABS!!
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    Dude you're a Leafs fan? I'm actually in Toronto.

I will be fine with the lockout. The reason is that the NHL needs some kind of overhaul before it collapses.

The league is just too defensive right now and it's killing me. Kings were a low seed with no scoring...a team that was ashamed of itself...and then all of a sudden because of an unpredictable playoff run they are a 'model for success.'

I mean good for them for overcoming a huge challenge! They are a good team. My point is simply that any team can win these days as long as the goalie is hot.
    Leafs fan, not really. If I could afford to go to their games I would, and I do enjoy watching hockey with friends on occasion I'm not committed enough to be a leafs fan. Particularly since its been what, 45 years since they won the cup? That is almost but not quite twice my age.
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    At least the NFL referee thing is over so the football fans stopped complaining about how hard that was for them.

I can't bring myself to be mad about the lockout because I'm still mad at the league for only showing games on Versus, what compelled them to do something that stupid?

Also Red Wings fan, so hate me or whatever.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389

At least the NFL referee thing is over so the football fans stopped complaining about how hard that was for them.

I can't bring myself to be mad about the lockout because I'm still mad at the league for only showing games on Versus, what compelled them to do something that stupid?

Also Red Wings fan, so hate me or whatever.

No other network ponied up the cash for the rights to broadcast games. The big networks aren't going to pay for a product that gets less views than reruns of The Big Bang Theory and The Office.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    @State_Lemming They did sign a new broadcast agreement with NBC so this year would have seen a lot more games shown on a bigger and better network than Versus....and that will be jeopardized by this strike. All that extra revenue is all the more reason to side with the players. The owners know they're going to make even bigger profits now and yet they won't relent on the player's revenue sharing change proposal. IE: as i said before, greedy bastards.

As for you @sandmanCCL ;-/....no harm no foul lol. If i wasn't born with my Habbies bleu, blanc et rouge tattooed to my forehead , Detroit would be my team of choice. Such a class organization.
    I was just saying, that's why they were on a tertiary network like Versus. Not saying I liked it.

Hockey is not my thing, but it's more appealing than Baseball. I've tuned in to more Hockey games in my life than I have baseball, for sure. Don't really follow it, though.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    lol, there is a lot of hate for baseball. I love both hockey and baseball (and The Big Bang Theory and The Office before Season 7).

I'm actually a Wings fan. Though just barely, I'm pretty much in it for hockey in general. I gotta ask though - what's your team, if you have one?
    Don't have a horse in the race, Silence. Kind of like Basketball that way. I'm born and raised in Las Vegas and we really don't have many allegiences to any major sporting teams. It's curious I'm as much of a Steelers fan as I am, honestly.

I'm a fan of sport in general and rarely miss any post-season games in any major sport. It's a lot more fun for me when I don't have a team I'm always going to root for, honestly. I get pretty anxiety ridden during any playoffs game involving my team.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    @sandmanCCL...the Steelers are the only pro-sports team i end up liking (loving) as well...
    i've watched, even if just out of the corner of my eye, a lot of sports throughout my life...what i have seen happening is most of the leagues have gone for flash (scoring) & gutted what made the sports great (defence)...gone are the days where you had a 13-10 football game that was low scoring because of great defences, not sloppy offences, you almost never see a 1-0 pitcher's duel, NHL scores were mentioned earlier...many would say these are boring games to watch, but they were what made the game for me, when i was younger (& had a TV!!)
    News is reporting that due to missing the pre-season games the league has already lost $100 million.