Skip to content

Fochlucan Lyrist NWN2 advice.

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
edited March 2016 in Off-Topic
I discovered this gem of a class from the Complete Adventurer.

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050107a&page=2

It references back to the cool druidic bards and stuff. I'd build it something like Rogue 2/Druid 2/Bard 6/Fochlucan Lyrist 10.

So in Kaedrin's Prc mod for NWN2 there's the Canaith Lyrist that is based on the Fochlucan Lyrist. Only difference is it does not advance druid and bard spellcasting but rather one or the other.

I'm thinking of doing Bard 6/Rogue 2/Druid 2/Canaith Lyrist 10 with a focus on druidic spellcasting.

So by 20 I'll have 16th level Bardsongs, up to 3rd level Bard spells, and up to 6th level Druid spells.

Is there anything wrong with this class choice? I was going to run some player made modules with this character while I wait for SoD to come out.
Post edited by Vallmyr on

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Um, wasn't there a limit of max. three classes per build in NWN2?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Kamigoroshi I think it was 3 in NWN1 and 4 in NWN2
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Yeah, in NWN2 I believe it's 4. I'll check to make sure in a little bit.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Canaith Lyrist requires 2nd level arcane spells, right? You SHOULD only need 4 Bard levels then, not 6.
    Might be missing something. Perform can be taken with all classes.

Also unless you want the Rogue skills, you could enter it with Cleric and the Water Domain. It gives you Evasion.

So Cleric 1 (Water Domain)/4 Bard/Druid 5/Canaith Lyrist 10.

If you want the handy Rogue skills (Disable Device, Open Lock, Search) start with Rogue, not Bard.
    Be sure to get Able Learner so you can advance those skills like normal, even if they are cross-class later.

So it would look like this: Rogue 2/Bard 4/Druid 1/Canaith Lyrist/Druid rest.
    Able Learner at level 1. Make sure to get Practiced Spellcaster (Druid) and maybe (Bard) if you have room for it.

Also, don't forget that with Canaith Lyrist, you can advance ANY Arcane or Divine spellcasting class you want.

You could make a Rogue/Bard/Wizard/CL or Cleric/Bard/Canaith Lyrist with Water Domain and great Cleric Casting or Sorcerer or whatever.

The Druid is best pure. You lose Wild Shape, Animal Companion and only get the spells, delayed as well.
    Though, you could go buffing your spontaneous summons with Bard and Druid stuff, as well as Augment Summoning.
    FinneousPJ
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    If the only thing you want from the druid is spellcasting, you can pick SS instead and use the Alertness bug to progress in both SS and Bard spellcasting (unless Kaedrin fixed that, but I'm almost certain that's not the case).
    FinneousPJ
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    iKrivetko wrote: »
    If the only thing you want from the druid is spellcasting, you can pick SS instead and use the Alertness bug to progress in both SS and Bard spellcasting (unless Kaedrin fixed that, but I'm almost certain that's not the case).

I considered mentioning the Spirit Shaman, but it needs both WIS and CHA. One for DCs, the other for casting.

I'd go with Cleric, Favored Soul or Sorcerer, personally. Maybe Wizard too.
    edited March 2016
    Goal is for a nature-themed Bard.

Also

Alertness bug? Where can I read more on this? If I can re-create the actual Fochlucan Lyrist and dual progress Bard and Druid (or Druid-like) spellcasting I'd love that, even if it is a bug.
    edited March 2016
    It's quite simple, really. If you have the Alertness feat, prestige classes that provide progression in arcane spellcasting (EK, ASoCK etc.) will advance your FS/SS spellcasting as well. You will need to pick a level of FS/SS after the said prestige class levels to get the benefits though.

n.b. Spirit Shamans get Alertness for free at level 1.
    Vallmyr
    So should I sprinkle Spirit Shaman levels in the Canaith Lyrist levels?
    edited March 2016
    That would depend on how you build the character. You might just not have enough levels to fit everything you want and have a streamlined progression.

I believe you need Evasion to qualify for CL, so that means you will need a splash of a class that provides it. Cleric with Water domain is the easiest way, but that will incur an EXP penalty (unless you use a gray orc or keep it in step with either Bard or SS), Rogue 2 will work with Tieflings/Halflings, SD2 is awesome but requires two feats and investment into Dex, and you already need to heavily invest into two ability scores that are generally used as dump ones (Wis and Cha). I'm not that familiar with KPack though, so there might be easier ways of getting Evasion.
    Post edited by iKrivetko on
    Vallmyr
    OR you might actually want to have a look at Stormsinger. They have some nice spell-like songs at their disposal (Call Lightning, Greater Call Lightning etc.)
    Vallmyr
    edited March 2016
    Tried a Bard/Spirit Shaman/Shadowdancer/Canaith Lyrist build but it seemed that the alertness bug was not functioning :(

Going to look into the Stormsinger.