Skip to content

Thief Skills?

TraycorTraycor Member Posts: 33
I've looked everywhere on the new Character screens and I can't find the thief skill percentages listed anywhere. The only time these are displayed is on level up.

What am I missing?

Comments

• SurvivorSurvivor Member Posts: 68
    You have to scroll down a little to find them, as you can see on my screenshot here:

dawpnysu0hcw.jpg
    XKalAbelJuliusBorisovIthual
  • TraycorTraycor Member Posts: 33
    Thanks! I used the new customize UI feature to make the menu long enough to see all options at once. Seems silly to need to scroll down, especially when the items are spaced so far apart. I wish the UI would let me space those menu items closer together, but this is a nice work around.im61l4xivkdx.jpg
    SurvivorGrammarsaladXKalJuliusBorisov
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited March 2016
    Traycor wrote: »
    Thanks! I used the new customize UI feature to make the menu long enough to see all options at once. Seems silly to need to scroll down, especially when the items are spaced so far apart. I wish the UI would let me space those menu items closer together, but this is a nice work around.
    im61l4xivkdx.jpg

You can do that, thanks to Iroumen teaching me. :) When you hit the F11 edit menu just hover over the list to see where it is coming from. Edit the ui.menu file in the override folder amd go that line. Around there you will want to look for "rowheight" and it is in pixels. It is probably set to 45, a lot of them were. I changed most of them down to between 25-30. It works great, especially for the spell books. Make sure to back up the ui.menu file first. :)

Doh, wrote too soon, rowheight adjustment won't work there since it is a text block. Sorry. You could try the other alternative I did, which was to replace the background with something larger to give you more area to work with.
    I like the idea of replacing UI backgrounds. How do I know the name of the image file to put in the override folder? In this case, I'd like to replace the default background image for the UI options menu (when you first hit escape) so the giant skull isn't staring at me all the time.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    If you are referring to the TOB skull in the middle of the BG2 startup screen, then it looks like there are multiple graphics there. It looks like the skull itself is named LOGOTOB or BIGLOGO depending on which one, so if you create some small graphic that is the same size you should name it LOGOTOB.png and drop it in to the override folder, probably something like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\override. That is what I did to replace the background on the character sheet, I knew from Dee that the filename was GUIRECBG.png so I searched the ui.menu file in the override folder for GUIRECBG and here it was.
    	label
    	{
    		area	-6 6 1067 748
    		mosaic	GUIRECBG
    	}

The last two values are the pixel sizes of your desired picture. I wanted a bigger area so my background picture is 1067 by 748 pixels.

I have been trying to replace the skull with another picture though and that graphic isn't being overridden somehow. Maybe I don't have the size matched. Not to worry, I am sure that some of these really smart guys like pecca and Iroumen will have some amazing UI mod packages pretty soon. And the devs have been amazingly responsive to questions so you could always throw it out there if it hasn't been answered.
    Playing BG1 actually. Found the file for the Esc options menu. It's STONEOPT.png
    The result came out pretty nice.
    f4vxwix7l3sj.jpg
    AbelJuliusBorisovbleusteelmf2112
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Traycor wrote: »
    Thanks! I used the new customize UI feature to make the menu long enough to see all options at once. Seems silly to need to scroll down, especially when the items are spaced so far apart. I wish the UI would let me space those menu items closer together, but this is a nice work around.im61l4xivkdx.jpg

You will still run into problems on a Mage/Thief combo, as you get both skills and spells.

But yeah, the scrollbar appearing on default for 2 pixels underneath Biography is funest here. You quickly get used that there's nothing to scroll down to, and then when you play a character that DOES have something to scroll down to, you end up not actually checking it, because you've already thought yourself there's nothing down there.

If the table was at least large enough not to show a scrollbar on default, the sudden appearance of the scrollbar when playing a Thief would be a hint.
    Ithual
    Removing "Biography" from the list would solve the Mage/Thief issue. Dee mentions how to do that in the UI tutorial thread.

After making new UI screens, I'm tempted to update all of them.
    mf2112