Skip to content

Will reputation be reset in SoD?

Will the party's reputation be reset to the one associated with the PC's alignment (e.g. 12 for lawful good) when moving into SoD (as is the case for BG:EE to BG2:EE), or will it stay the same (as when going from SoA to ToB)?

Comments

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    your in the same general area as bg 1 so i say no. only reason it was reset in 2 was because your in a whole different region.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    @megamike15: That was the only Story reason. However, there was also a Gameplay reason to it, as starting with 20 reputation would be a large advantage over starting fresh, and would also mean any reputation increases would be rather uninspiring.

While the Story element is no longer around, the Gameplay element still is. That said, BG2 was really sort of a hard reset, considering how it also reset gear and NPCs. SoD doesn't do that, so it's more likely that reputation doesn't reset.

It's probably more like SoA -> ToB than BG1 -> SoA.

• Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    You would also have a big problem if you had played a truly evil character in BG and you were brought over into SoA with a reputation of 0 or 1 - both Imoen, Jaheira and Minsc would desert you on the spot! :wink:
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    You would also have a big problem if you had played a truly evil character in BG and you were brought over into SoA with a reputation of 0 or 1 - both Imoen, Jaheira and Minsc would desert you on the spot! :wink:

I would actually be really entertained by that. It's like, you free Jaheira and she's like "oh, it's you. No thanks, I'm gonna just do this on my own. Probably safer that way."
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    It would've made sense if you could then find Edwin and Viconia in the Dungeon, but that would probably be too complex, as you get two slightly different versions of the same world.

In the end, BG seems tailored after good aligned parties, after all...
  • pwaringpwaring Member Posts: 81
    Thels wrote: »
    While the Story element is no longer around, the Gameplay element still is. That said, BG2 was really sort of a hard reset, considering how it also reset gear and NPCs. SoD doesn't do that, so it's more likely that reputation doesn't reset.

Arguably the story reason was never properly around in BG2, even without SoD. You meet several people with links to Amn in BG1 so it's entirely possible that your reputation would follow you. I can see how a reset was required for gameplay reasons though, otherwise the 50% shop discount would alter the balance of the game.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    edited March 2016
    Well, my guess is that you will keep your reputation.

I just HOPE we wont get ANY reputation point for killing Sarevok, because that would ruin my party. I have 18 reputation now (and that taking into account I stole things just for the sake of lowering my reputation) and Dorn in the party. A single point more and he goes away. The game railroads you into getting reputation, whether you want/like it or not. For getting the kobold mines cleared you get one point. For getting the dwarf mines cleared you get two. And lots of quests along the game have no way of doing them (and getting the XP) in a "bad guy" way, so you are half forced to take the reputation gain (if you want to earn XP).

I will have my save before entering Bhaals Temple at hand just in case I get some reputation and Dorn goes away.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    helmo1977 wrote: »

I just HOPE we wont get ANY reputation point for killing Sarevok, because that would ruin my party. I have 18 reputation now (and that taking into account I stole things just for the sake of lowering my reputation) and Dorn in the party. A single point more and he goes away. The game railroads you into getting reputation, whether you want/like it or not. For getting the kobold mines cleared you get one point. For getting the dwarf mines cleared you get two. And lots of quests along the game have no way of doing them (and getting the XP) in a "bad guy" way, so you are half forced to take the reputation gain (if you want to earn XP).

I will have my save before entering Bhaals Temple at hand just in case I get some reputation and Dorn goes away.

Once your reputation reaches an uncomfortable high number (18 sounds about right) then you go kill Drizz't!
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    helmo1977 wrote: »

I agree with your general point, but I do want to note a couple things.

Regarding the Cloakwood Mines, you get 2 points of reputation for flooding the mines after paying to free the slaves. You get no reputation change if you kill Daevorn but don't flood the mines, and you lose 2 points of reputation for flooding the mines while the slaves are still in there. So there is actually an evil way to handle that quest.

Regarding Dorn leaving, that should actually take care of itself. If you kick him out of the party before he leaves on his own, you'll gain two reputation points, but your reputation will still be capped at 20. If you then immediately accept him back in, you'll lose 2 reputation points and be back to 18.