Skip to content

valuable gem in candlekeeo

IcallhimlecobraIcallhimlecobra Member Posts: 59
edited February 2013 in Not An Issue
I don't know if this can be classed as a bug, but here goes, in an unmodded game only a halfling with 19 dex and maxed lockping can unlock the chest that holds the valuable gem at the start of the game. however I noticed when playing with tutu installed my elf fighter/theif was able to open the chest after I dumped all my skill points into lockpicking.
I think it was a nice feature that only the halfling could steal the gem, a possible solution would be to increase the lockpicking requirement for that chest to keep it so that only halflings can pick it.
Post edited by Balquo on

Comments

• Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    This lock has a max difficulty of 65, any not intentionally gimped starter thief can open it. Memory failing.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    I think this is expected behaviour when converting from BG1 to the BG2 engine. As I recall, the OP is right in that only a maxed out halfling could open it in BG1. However, the thief skills are distributed differently in BG2 (also there are more thief skills) so it is possible that e.g. an elf thief could also open it. But I wouldn't consider that a bug... seems just a tad unfair that you'd have to make a halfling PC just to get that thing (in reality, a strong enough fighter should be able to bash it open as well, or even a mediocre one).
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I don't know that I would call putting all your starting points into Open Locks "not intentionally gimped". Sounds pretty min-maxed, to me.
    edited September 2012
    @Aosaw
    Ye you are probably right, the point being it doesnt take the absolute best possible thief to open the chest, only a good one which i believe is what the OP wants anyway.
  • IcallhimlecobraIcallhimlecobra Member Posts: 59
    I was wrong in original post. actually gnomes, halflings and dwarves can open the lock due to the racial lockpicking bonuses they receive. (+5, +5, +10 respectively). this means they can reach the 60 lockpicking required to open the chest in vanilla game. however the bg2 engine allows all races to reach that threshold. I just feel that it was an intended feature for only those 3 races to be able to unlock the chest and therefore it should be kept that way. these are just my thoughts on the matter and are by no means right.