Skip to content

Things it'd be decent of Overhaul to tell us before we start Character Creation

PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
1) Does the choice of our race affect Neera's romance? Will it still affect the original romances?

2) What rule fixes or changes have been made? There are many rules in the Baldur's Gate manual which are not in the game -- whether these are bugs or deliberate omissions is hard to say, and perhaps immaterial. Examples:

• Wisdom giving a penalty or bonus to your Magic Defense Adjustment (vs. mind-affecting spells)
• Racial natural resistances. Elves to charm and sleep, dwarves and halflings to magic and poison, gnomes to magic, etc.
• Racial weapon bonuses. Elves with long swords and bows, halflings with slings, etc.
• Racial level caps for non-humans (OK, so we know implementing this one would be silly)
• Perhaps others I'm unaware of or am forgetting.

And of course, changes were made to THAC0 (caps at 0) and spell progression. Not to mention multiclass characters getting High Level Abilities (HLAs) at much lower levels than their single class counterparts, though that won't come into play until Throne of Bhaal.

Comments

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited September 2012
    PugPug said:

• Wisdom giving a penalty or bonus to your Magic Defense Adjustment (vs. mind-affecting spells)

The BG1 readme file explains that the magical defense adjustment was simply never incorporated into the game, despite having already been put into the manual (I assumed this applied to BG2 as well).

The biggest issue that is weighing on my mind is what weapon(s) to choose proficiencies in. In the vanilla BG1, you could choose from a much broader description of weapons (ie: "missile weapons" rather than distinguishing between slings, crossbows, and darts) which suited the fact that there were a lot less magic weapons to use in BG1 than in BG2.

Now, with BG2's engine being used, I'm forced to choose between, say, scimitar (to use Drizzt's scimitar) or 2-handed sword (to use Spider's Bane), rather than simply choosing "large sword" and being able to use both. (This is the reason I never got into BG1 Tutu.) I know we've been told that more weapons are supposed to be added, but I suppose I wish there was a bit more details on that.

Also, can I still count on being able to use the island to arrow Drizzt to death?
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    Guys, just wing it through and find out for yourselves :) I can't wait to stumble over content!
  • kiroskiros Member Posts: 119
    edited September 2012
    Regarding the race conflicting with Neera's romance, I doubt it.
    I think a lot of people would rage if they found out there character was unable to commence a romance with her simply because they chose a different race then specified.

Racial immunities will most likely be displayed somewhere in the side panel info bar when choosing a kit.
    Racial level caps I'm unaware of, I don't think obtaining fewer levels then another said race should be much of an issue.

And like others who have been so accustomed to dropping Wisdom to 3, It would be critical to know if we are to incur a resistance penalty from this.

• that70sgirl7887that70sgirl7887 Member Posts: 18
    I don't know why everyone is so concerned about romancing their character, especially, as it appears, a lot of the guys on the boards. Idk, maybe I don't really care cause I didn't know it was even possible until I got to the boards. I only ever had lead females and I wasn't going to let Anomen be in my party cause he bugged me, so maybe I don't know what I'm missing, but damn just go through the game and if it happens, it does and if it doesn't, oh well.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    This is why I hope we can have the manual early...
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    edited September 2012

Guys, just wing it through and find out for yourselves :) I can't wait to stumble over content!

First of all, in the case of rule changes, there is nothing to stumble over. You'll just never know if something is working or not unless you test it (provided it is testable) or someone gets a look at the source code.

Secondly, I would like to know ahead of time things that will influence the decisions I will make at character creation.

I'm not asking for minutia, like whether I should specialize in Morning Stars because there's a new really great one -- that sort of thing I do not expect to know ahead of time. I'm asking about basic things like what my statistics do.
    Jalily said:

There may well be more inconsistencies. They may even just include the original manual put together by Bioware.
    kiros said:

Racial immunities will most likely be displayed somewhere in the side panel info bar when choosing a kit.

I feel the need to point out that the racial perks are all included Baldur's Gate's in-game descriptions, they just lie. We have no way of knowing whether what the game or its manual say is true. A post on the forums from the people making the game, however, we can rely on.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    PugPug said:

First of all, in the case of rule changes, there is nothing to stumble over. You'll just never know if something is working or not unless you test it (provided it is testable) or someone gets a look at the source code.

Secondly, I would like to know ahead of time things that will influence the decisions I will make at character creation.

I'm not asking for minutia, like whether I should specialize in Morning Stars because there's a new really great one -- that sort of thing I do not expect to know ahead of time. I'm asking about basic things like what my statistics do.
    Jalily said:

There may well be more inconsistencies. They may even just include the original manual put together by Bioware.
    kiros said:

I feel the need to point out that the racial perks are all included Baldur's Gate's in-game descriptions, they just lie. We have no way of knowing whether what the game or its manual say is true. A post on the forums from the people making the game, however, we can rely on.
    They've got someone rewriting the manual in three parts, which will be available with the game. It should be much more accurate than the one that came with the original game.