Skip to content

Beamdog Installer vs. Free Installation

So I currently have installations of BG:EE and BG2:EE that were downloaded individually and are not registered on my Beamdog Launcher. Will that affect transitions to and from BG: SOD? If so, is there a way for me to get those installations recognized on the Beamdog Launcher?

Comments

• ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    I was interested to know the answer to this as well. I installed from the site and didn't use the client. Are we required to use the client for all installs now? I tested them and none of the games seem to be downloadable without the client at the moment.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    At some point just like the 1.3 update, I think the standalone will pop up with an update available option for 2.0.
  • JonnecyJonnecy Member Posts: 56
    where can I even download the game from the site ?
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Who did you purchase BG:EE from? You will need to purchase SoD from whoever you purchased BG:EE from to be able to install it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Well, there is a stand alone launcher which downloads the game. If you own the game, it is registered with the Beamdog client - this isn't something you need to do actively like with Steam.

Games will update to 2.0 today. You'll need to download a new launcher to get SoD. After you install SoD, you will no longer need to install BG:EE.

The save games and settings are saved in the Documents folder for all platforms, so the game will have no trouble finding your save games regardless of how and where you install the program.
  • FinniganFinnigan Member Posts: 10
    Yay, thanks for letting me know!
  • rojayrojay Member Posts: 20
    edited March 2016
    Cerevant said:

Well, there is a stand alone launcher which downloads the game. If you own the game, it is registered with the Beamdog client - this isn't something you need to do actively like with Steam.

Games will update to 2.0 today. You'll need to download a new launcher to get SoD. After you install SoD, you will no longer need to install BG:EE.

The save games and settings are saved in the Documents folder for all platforms, so the game will have no trouble finding your save games regardless of how and where you install the program.

How does one obtain the stand alone launcher for Mac OS? When I bought BG:EE from Beamdog, the confirmation email I received had a link to an installer. I pre-ordered SoD from Beamdog, but the confirmation email did not include a link.

Logging in to my account at Beamdog.com shows SoD in the "my games" section, but I cannot find a way to download it. I thought maybe the BG:EE launcher would auto-download it, and it did patch me to 2.0, but starting the game doesn't show SoD as an option.

I've been emailing back and forth with Beamdog support along the same lines outlined above. I asked whether I should expect to get a follow-up email with a link to an installer, and received this response this morning:
    I do not know specifically what they are going to do for the expansion yet, however, it will be available to download once you are logged into beamdog.com
    I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I'll be damned if I can figure out what it is.

Edit: Refreshing the SoD page at Beamdog.com gave me the option to download a disk image, which I believe has solved my problem.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    The BG2 standalone launcher is now offering to apply the update. :)
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    I am trying to use standalone installer for SoD and download is super slow, way below my maximum net speed. I have Use P2P on.
    This is sad, maybe I should have asked to switch my BG1EE to Steam and bought BGSoD from there afterall..
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    Cerevant said:

Ehmmm so you are saying that patching bgee was totally unuseful because i have to install everything again anyway with SoD launcher and that then i will not use bgee launcher anymore?
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited March 2016
    Yeah, the expansion is a completely separate installation which includes both BG:EE and the expansion.

So unless you have reason to play BG:EE sans SoD (maybe you prefer the blue UI or are in a multiplayer game with a friend who isn't going to buy the expansion just yet), you should probably uninstall it and make better use of that storage space.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    Kilivitz said:

Yeah, the expansion is a completely separate installation which includes both BG:EE and the expansion.

So unless you have reason to play BG:EE sans SoD (maybe you prefer the blue UI or are in a multiplayer game with a friend who isn't going to buy the expansion just yet), you should probably uninstall it and make better use of that storage space.

Thanks a lot, now i feel stupid because i waited half an hour for the patch to complete before installing SoD (not a big deal, the download of SoD is very slow)
  • JiveOneJiveOne Member Posts: 43
    Does the SoD download still include Black Pits, the extra portraits from BGEE, etc.?
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    JiveOne said:

Does the SoD download still include Black Pits, the extra portraits from BGEE, etc.?

While we'll only be 100% sure once the download finishes, I can't see why that wouldn't be the case.
    JiveOne said:

Yes