Skip to content

Rasaad yn Bashir voice and accent

DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
What do you think of his voice and accent?
  1. Rasaad yn Bashir voice and accent81 votes
    1. Both voice and accent are perfect
      74.07%
    2. His voice is nice but his accent is NOT nice
      11.11%
    3. His accent is nice but his voice is NOT nice
        0.00%
    4. Both voice and accent are awful
        0.00%
    5. Who cares? It's just a voice(and accent)
      14.81%

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    ::Shrug.:: I like it. What can I say? It sets his character apart from the others.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    I really liked the voice, from what I heard of it. It's distinctive, but not in such a way that it will sound out of place, or at least I hope not.
  • EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    I personally really like the voice, and the accent is fitting to be honest.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    This forum is good at picking apart just about everything these guys do for us.
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    I quite like the voice and accent. It will truly be perfect if he says "I'm Radaad yn Bashir and this is my favorite store on the Sword Coast" every time you enter a shop.
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    I can't decide before hearing more of him.
  • XavaineXavaine Member Posts: 12
    Accent sounds just a little bit off to me but I really like it otherwise. I think it fits the character nicely.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    Other: it seems fine based on what I have heard thus far. I'll restate what I said in the developer announcement thread on him:
    Lemernis said:

The accent sounds vaguely Indian (as in India) to my ear as well. Sort of a meld of middle eastern and Indian... He drones a bit, i.e., voice isn't very animated, but that's undoubtedly in-character (do we really want a bubbly monk?). There's certainly a professional richness to the voice-acting. And there's a kind of intense determination and focus to the personality that comes through (expressed even more vividly in the portraits) in the tone even if the delivery is somewhat monotone.

I think I'm going to enjoy using this character. He'll take a lot of damage, probably. But just as long as he can dole it out as well, I expect he'll to be fun to have along. In my first game with him Viconia's going to be healing him, and it should be interesting to see how that develops.

• PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    Well it sounds good, but I don't care... wonder how's it gonna be in polish version, though.
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    Here is my opinion. I think his accent doesn't fit in the game at all. His voice is acceptable but is not appropriate for his appearance. This is just a first impression. Hope hearing more will prove me wrong.
    Djimmy said:

Here is my opinion. I think his accent doesn't fit in the game at all. His voice is acceptable but is not appropriate for his appearance. This is just a first impression. Hope hearing more will prove me wrong.

Rasaad's from Calimshan, which is derived from ancient (or medieval, whatever) Persia.
    edited September 2012
    @Lemernis It doesn't seem ancient to me. It is like an indian guy presenting some lesson online. Like that

@Djimmy

lol, you have a point there!
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    Sounds entirely appropriate to me.
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Just to clarify, I'm fine with what the accent is trying to be, but it just sounds a little bit irish/canadian in execution.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think my only problem with his voice is that the bass levels in the sound file seem to be too high.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    To me it sounds fine. Yes the accent is strong and sounds somewhat middle-eastern but since Rashad comes from Calimport (which has an Arabic feel) this is appropriate.
  • DaveDave Member Posts: 200
    As a fan of Mark's stage work, and as one who attended much of the voice recording, I can assure you that you haven't even begun to hear his range as Rasaad. This sample is just too small to show it off.
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    salieri said:

Just to clarify, I'm fine with what the accent is trying to be, but it just sounds a little bit irish/canadian in execution.

I agree. I get what it is supposed to be, I just think it's a bit poorly executed. Might not even be his own fault, it could be the people on the other side of the microphone who wanted it that way.

Anyways, I'm just happy there is a new npc with accompanying voice-set.
    I agree that we need to hear more.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited September 2012
    I like it, but I can't say it's perfect. It sounds like a very dignified Indian person. Sounds like Anil Kapoor actually. Though I personally think his voice should be a little deeper, that would fit his appearance better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ABVLUMR7o
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited September 2012
    His pronunciation of "spiritual" seems to be a little off compared to the rest of the accent. But since there is no option in the poll for finding the accent to be decent rather than perfect, this is the only option I had in terms of voting. Other than not voting that is. Otherwise I need to hear more to make a more thorough analysis of how good or how consistent I find his attempt at an accent to be.

But his voice is fine.