Skip to content

SoD Client Freezes While Downloading

md00150028md00150028 Member Posts: 10
I have been trying since the release to download the game, but the client freezes after a certain amount of time. Eventually, I just need to ctrl, alt, delete it shut, and when I return, I need to start from scratch. I have done this maybe five times at this point (it would be far more if I noticed it sooner). Any suggestions before contacting Beamdog support?

Comments

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Wait a few days until the traffic and downloads have dropped. Lots of other folks having downloading issues as well.
  • fearlessfearless Member Posts: 40

Having the same issue, left my sod.exe over night hoping it would download it all, only to find it had frozen, and when i killed it and restarted it was still only at 400mb - after previous other tries resulted in the same - the info would show the downloads accumulating past 400mb and the rate etc, but once frozen and restarted it would be at 400mb of 3.7GB.
  • TheMetaphysicianTheMetaphysician Member Posts: 76
    Same problem. The client freezing and my needing to restart it is the problem, not the slow download rate. It would be strange if that were caused by server overload, wouldn't it?
  • XKalXKal Member Posts: 58
    edited April 2016
    fearless said:

Having the same issue, left my sod.exe over night hoping it would download it all, only to find it had frozen, and when i killed it and restarted it was still only at 400mb - after previous other tries resulted in the same - the info would show the downloads accumulating past 400mb and the rate etc, but once frozen and restarted it would be at 400mb of 3.7GB.

Same issue. Even odder, I had finished downloading the patches for BG:EE and BG2:EE already before trying SOD, and when I restarted my frozen launcher this morning, I was back to needing 2.8GB for BG:EE, and the full SOD download. All told, I've probably downloaded 12-15 GB worth of content from the beamdog launcher over the last day, despite that far exceeding the total GB for all three games.

Edit: Looks like installing BG:EE (again) is user error... I got the expansion popup and clicked install before seeing that it meant a fresh and separate BG:EE install in addition to SOD.
    Post edited by XKal on
  • killykilly Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2016
    Hi guys, I'm having the same issue, and super slow download speed from both the Beamdog and the standalone clients. The Beamdog client doesn't freeze however which would be good if the ETA wasn't 20 days.
  • JonnecyJonnecy Member Posts: 56
    same here. and whenever it works, there isnt even an icon image for SoD, just the standard controller placeholder picture. lame.
  • galahad1313galahad1313 Member Posts: 34
    Welcome to release day. As Sylvus_Moonbow said, if it persists, I'd wait a few days and try again once the strain on the download servers eases. The game isn't going anywhere :-)
  • TheMetaphysicianTheMetaphysician Member Posts: 76
    It is working much better now for me.
  • coolgame308coolgame308 Member Posts: 3
    Still having the same issue here, have any of you made any progress? Both the independent downloader and Beamdog Client are freezing up on me early in the download.
  • coolgame308coolgame308 Member Posts: 3
    Still no dice :(
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I tried uninstalling BGEE to reinstall it and my client is stalling too.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    My client freezes after a certain amount of time seems to be about 5 seconds.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    edited April 2016
    Yep, the beamdog client hard locks, but there seems to be downloading going on in the background. My internet connection showed a lot of activity then it petered off. So it seems to me an issue with the UI locking up, not with the actual download. Unfortunately, the UI locking up also seems to prevent finalization of the install.

edit: try running as an administrator.
    Post edited by Durenas on