Skip to content

Can't load original BG2 saves after patch 2.0

AgarwaenAgarwaen Member Posts: 9
As the title says, after patch 2.0 I can no longer load any of my old save games that were created before BG2:EE. I was able to load them just fine before the patch hit.

What gives? Anyone else have the same problem?
Would appreciate some help here...

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    So to clarify when you say " I can no longer load any of my old save games that were created before BG2:EE" you mean they are original BG2 saves?
  • AgarwaenAgarwaen Member Posts: 9
    edited April 2016
    Yes, original BG2 saves. Was able to load them before patch...
    [Updated the thread title]

Another clarification: This happens in the Steam version of the game.
  • YooberYoober Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2016
    I'm having similar problems. Multiplayer save files I made prior to the update now crash the game. New save files appear to work. After successfully loading a new multiplayer file, I returned to the Shadows of Amn menu, clicked on "options", and crashed again. I'm on a laptop with an Intel Core i5 540m and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 and 4G of DDR3 RAM. I downloaded the game through Beamdog, rather than Steam.
  • AyrellAyrell Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2016
    We are also having similar problems with MP saves. They will no longer load and crash the game after the 2.0 update.
    If moved to the "save" file the saves load fine as single player though.
    We hope this issue will be fixed, as we were almost at the end of the game with almost 100 hours of gameplay...
    In our case we have the game on Steam.
  • reborn537reborn537 Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I also have this problem - unable to load my pre v2.0 saves with my brother. Any ideas when this will be fixed? Unplayable at the moment.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Any forum regulars able to corroborate this? Not saying you are lying. But with only a handful of negative posts makes it sound like more people trying to sink beamdog. Again...not saying you are lying but I'm curious if anyone who has been here posting for awhile before this (and hence likely to have saved games and the expansion) can show this to be an issue.

Sucks that the constant trolling makes one so jaded...
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    There are so few complaints because relatively few people attempt to load savegames from pre-EE games.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Grum said:

Any forum regulars able to corroborate this? Not saying you are lying. But with only a handful of negative posts makes it sound like more people trying to sink beamdog. Again...not saying you are lying but I'm curious if anyone who has been here posting for awhile before this (and hence likely to have saved games and the expansion) can show this to be an issue.

I suppose I could be considered a regular, though I'm not regular so much these days. I have the same issue.
    Amberion said:

There are so few complaints because relatively few people attempt to load savegames from pre-EE games.

Not only pre-EE saves have problems. My EE saves from pre-1.2 won't load either.
  • DrHassDrHass Member Posts: 2
    That sucks. Im on a new original BG1 playthrough at the time (Chapter 6 now) and planned on playing SoD right after finishing TotSC. But if I can't import my savegames into the EE I guess SoD will have to wait since I'm not going to play through the game all over again with the EE.
  • AgarwaenAgarwaen Member Posts: 9
    Grum said:

I'm not trying to sink Beamdog. I love them and want to play the games they've made.
    They've breathed new live into the Baldur's Gate saga and I am grateful for that.

That being said, I would expect my older save games to still work. I have quite a few unfinished games both BG:EE and BG2:EE, and I want to finish them. Patch 2.0 ruined that option, at least for me.

I hope Beamdog fixes this, so that we can enjoy the games once more.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited April 2016
    @Grum Pretty sure most of these are legitimate issues. Let me see if I can throw some clarity around here.

Loading vBG2 (or vBG1) saves: This was never an intended feature and it likely never will be. There is just too much difference between the vanilla games and the enhanced editions for this to be expected to work properly. If you could do it before you likely had a crap ton of bugs in your game that couldn't be fixed anyway. Probably better off this way.

Loading pre 2.0 MP saves: This is a known issue. http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/22184

Loading very old EE saves: I cannot find a redmine ticket for this issue, but I do have a few very old save files of my own that refuse to load in the current version. I promise I will give the devs a kick if I need to in order to get this fixed.

Loading saves after reverting from 2.0 to 1.3: This is a known issue. http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/22467
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Looks like your last bug-report has a 'confirmed fixed' status so that's good!