Skip to content

No difficulty-based damage increase

What does this mean? I only ask because on the difficulty sliders the only change stated is at higher difficulty enemies deal more damage. It doesn't say anything else changes. So if I select this option, how would difficulty still affect the game? Thanks!

Comments

• VfleetVfleet Member Posts: 15
    edited April 2016
    I mean it does say that the AI improves with each higher difficulty if thats what u mean?
    edit: also more monster variety!!! :)
  • Kaisc006Kaisc006 Member Posts: 25
    No it doesn't. On the difficulty slider it literally just says monsters do more damage. Nothing about A.I improvements, hp buffs, more enemies, ect.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    On hard or insane difficulty there are additional monster spawns in SoD. If you tick the option, and set your game difficulty to insane, you will only get those extra difficult spawns, but not suffer the extra damage. It makes for additional challenge without feeling unfair or immersion breaking.
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited April 2016
    If you don't have SoD installed and you're looking at Baldur's Gate 1 than there is only a damage increase, no additional monsters so enabling the option for Hard or Insane would be pointless (It should be possible to use the option with Legacy of Bhaal Mode though which buffs monster health and some other stuff).

I proposed on Redmine that the option should be changed to "No difficulty-based damage change", so that it eliminates the damage penalty applied to enemies on the easier difficulties in addition to having it eliminate the damage increases on harder difficulties. So you can play Normal or Easy difficulty with 100% enemy damage!
  • AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
    lunar said:

On hard or insane difficulty there are additional monster spawns in SoD. If you tick the option, and set your game difficulty to insane, you will only get those extra difficult spawns, but not suffer the extra damage. It makes for additional challenge without feeling unfair or immersion breaking.

This is correct. For veteran players who want an extra challenge while still keeping things fair, I would recommend starting Siege of Dragonspear on Insane difficulty and then turning off the difficulty-based damage increase from Options -> Gameplay. That way, you get the hardest combat encounters and the best possible AI, but enemies still play by the rules and don't cheat.

However, if you want the toughest possible experience, go for the Legacy of Bhaal difficulty setting. That works similarly to the Heart of Fury mode from Icewind Dale in the sense that it boosts enemy stats in addition to all the benefits that they already receive from Insane difficulty.
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    It's an old topic but I'm curious. Is this setting - "No difficulty-based damage" applies to LoB? So we can play LoB with boosted creatures but without +100% damage from Insane difficulty?
  • fs_mercuryfs_mercury Member Posts: 2
    Sikorsky wrote: »
    It's an old topic but I'm curious. Is this setting - "No difficulty-based damage" applies to LoB? So we can play LoB with boosted creatures but without +100% damage from Insane difficulty?

I can verify it does apply - at least in my game.