Skip to content

L's Minor Drain and Vamp' Touch are being over nerfed?

HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
"Larloch's Minor Drain and Vampiric Touch now only heal if the target is damaged, neither can be self-cast, VT can't be cast twice on the same target, and the Bhaalspawn LMD does the right dam."

I can only see this as an unreasonable nerf, compared to other classes who has Mirror Image and can withstand huge punishment.

Comments

• Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    LMD change makes perfect sense imo but I don't really understand the VT one unless I'm missing something.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    When this spell is cast, the target loses 1-6 hit points for every two caster levels, to a maximum drain of 6-36 for a 12th-level caster. These hit points are added to the caster's current hit points, with any hit points over the caster's normal maximum treated as temporary, additional hit points. The temporary hit points last for 5 turns.

Note: This spell may not be cast multiple times to radically increase the caster's hit-points. The caster must wait for the first vampiric touch spell to run its course before casting another.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    They're not being nerfed, they're being fixed.

And what are you quoting anyway?
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    Tanthalas said:

And what are you quoting anyway?

Seems I've bee too quick to judge, I was quoting the fix list. I see now that it actually scales which it didn't do in previous games IIRC like BG I II, IWD I II.

Forgive me for this untimely outburst.

• agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    VT scales in IWD 1.42
    agris said:

VT scales in IWD 1.42

Stopped playing long before that.

• bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    makes sense according to the spell description. I do agree that they are very underwhelming spells (at least post bg1).
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    Just cast Melf's Minute DropAPianoOnThem. Works every time.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Colonel_burger

I thought that spell was Acme DropAPianoOnThem

Shame it requires epic levels and the wild magic table though to cast it
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    @Dragonspear if you're too low level you can always cast breach, lower MR, greater malison then finger of death :) I reckon that combo killed JFK.
    edited October 2012
    nvm

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    On the old game, if you cast vampiric touch and lachor minor drain after that, while you're under the effect of Vampiric touch temporary max HP up, any lachor minor drain that you cast will not only damage the enemy, but heal yourself AND RAISE YOUR MAX HP TEMPORARY also (with no limit to lachor minor drain).

Ok, it's just something like 4 or 5 temporary max HP but it's a bug, if they fixed that, the better. In BG II ToB high level you could just cast stop time and improved alcharity, cast a vampiric touch + 12 lachor minor drain and you get +60 or 70 temporary HP up, suffice enough to be immune to symbols of stuns and fears (and of course to symbols of death).
    If I may ask an unrelating question, it seems Larloch's Minor Drain was removed in 3.5 DnD?
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467

@Dragonspear if you're too low level you can always cast breach, lower MR, greater malison then finger of death :) I reckon that combo killed JFK.

Why would you cast breach in that spell chain? Breach does away with combat protections IE stoneskin. If anything, hit pierce magic first, or a ruby ray / warding whip!
  • FigrutFigrut Member Posts: 109
    @HexHammer You just got Enervation and Energy Drain along those lines in core set.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited October 2012
    Tanthalas said:

They're not being nerfed, they're being fixed.

...Err. Technically that's still a nerf. I agree completely that it is a fix, and it needed fixing, but a nerf is anything that negatively impacts a weapon/spell/ability. I know I'm being a turd, being so specific and all when no one really cares, but when you make such bold claims you are practically asking me to be this way.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I agree with @Quartz. A fix is not necessarily considered a fix by everyone. Maybe there are people who think the spells don't need fixing at all.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Can't you cast vampiric touch on chests and doors? is that being fixed too?
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    If it's a fix then it's a righteous nerf, we need a more positive sounding word, like spoing.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    HexHammer said:

If I may ask an unrelating question, it seems Larloch's Minor Drain was removed in 3.5 DnD?

Larloch's Minor Drain was never a PnP spell. It was created specifically for BG.

Mortianna said:

HexHammer said:

Larloch's Minor Drain was never a PnP spell. It was created specifically for BG.
    WHAT??!!?!?
    ..it's such an AWESOME spell, it MUST be implemented in PnP! QQ