Skip to content

BG:EE and BG2:EE system requirements changed for v2.0?

GarmGarm Member Posts: 67
edited April 2016 in The Road to v2.0
Ideally I would have liked to test this further before creating the topic, but between needing to work today and the very low download speed the Beamdog client currently has I wasn't able to do it.

I have been playing BG1 on a modest laptop. Probably it is not the best choice but I have done it so far without any issues apart from the rare slowdown (when several spell effects are in place at the same time) and the fact that the Black Pits video stuttered a lot (which ironically now works fine...).

I was able to download the 2.0 patch for BG:EE after several hours even though the client froze a couple of time and I had to force-close it.
The first time I ran the game it froze/crashed in the character creator after selecting the gender. I tried a couple of times and it always froze at the same point. Then I tried a different approach by loading a save game (an autosave I had from the prologue). There I noticed the character portrait was bugged - the portrait which is one of the originals that came in the vanilla BG1 was a confusion of colours like a TV with interference. Additionally the item description and journal text are black blocks and there are couple of other graphical issues with the options menu.
I tried to change the settings in the options menu but the game never remembers the settings whenever I restarted it.

I'm hoping this is due to the constant issues I had with the Beamdog client which might have left some files corrupted. I will try to reinstall the game, but meanwhile I would like to know if someone is having similar problems or if the system requirements have changed (and then the laptop simply can't handle the improvements).

PS: If reinstalling the game doesn't solve this issue I will post the PC details as well as screenshots later today.

EDIT: I don't have Mods installed.
Post edited by Garm on

Comments

• GarmGarm Member Posts: 67
    I guess I'm alone in this. BG:EE is re-downloading as I write this so I can't test my "corrupted files" theory yet.

Meanwhile I remembered I took a screenshot of the issue yesterday.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2016
    Garm are you running the game using an Intel integrated graphics card by any chance?

Also go into graphics and make sure Alternative Renderer is not checked. Then restart the game.
  • GarmGarm Member Posts: 67
    edited April 2016
    Yes, the laptop has an Intel integrated graphics card.

I was able to reinstall BG:EE, however the issue I describe in the 1st post remains - the game freezes everytime I select the gender in character creation.

The Alternative Render option is not checked. It is unchecked by default - actually none of the changes I make in the options menu (auto-pause options, sound volumes and so on) are not remembered when I restart the game.