Skip to content

Couple questions about IWD

ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
Hey guys so I got IWD during this GOG.com sale and am having a blast. Got a couple questions though:
1. Does HoW & TotL start at the end of IWD or do I get to complete those components and then return to IWD later? I already found the Barbarian Shaman and he told me to return when I'm a higher level but I don't want to miss any content and am wondering what is the best order to play through it all.
2. Can thieves set traps? Got a halfling pure thief but special abilities icon is greyed out?!
3. Does charisma actually impact Cleric's turn undead? I've read that it does and doesn't so just want some conformation.

Thanks heaps guys

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2012
    @Elzarath

1. HoW and TotL can be started in Kuldahar when you reach a higher level, in a hut to the east. This will take you out of the original campaign and you won't be able to come back until you finish the expansion.

Alternatively you can do the original campaign first, then play HoW off the main menu. It will ask to import the original campaign party into the new game.

2. Never had a thief in IWD, but I should of, since there's a thousand powerful traps.

3. Charisma may affect turn undead, but I'm not able to confirm. It does influence conversations DRAMATICALLY so keep your CHA high on the speaker.
  • ElzarathElzarath Member Posts: 173
    Awesome, thanks man.

Yeah having the little guy around has been immensely helpful. Some of these traps are brutal!

Really wanted to try Druid so my main char is Druid with 15 CHA, looking over it now, he has the highest CHA of the group so that was pretty lucky!
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Charisma does not affect your Turn Undead value in BG1, BG2 or IWD1. It does in IWD2 but that game functions on a different ruleset.
    Thanks sandman. Yeah I knew about the difference in 2ed & 3ed - played both NWN games. Gotta say, I think I prefer 2ed
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    What I usually do when I play IWD/HoW/TotLM is this:

Play IWD up to Lower Dorn's Deep and stop at the Gnome Hideaway. Buy whatever you need at the Gnome Hideaway and then go back to Kuldaher. Don't go any further into the story past the Gnome Hideaway.

When in Kuldaher, go through the locked door and start HoW. Play up to the second part of Lonelywood but stop before going to the Sea of Moving Ice. Don't start the Sea of Moving Ice quest just yet. Instead start Trials of the Luremaster with Hobart Stubbletoes in the Lonelywood Inn.

When you finish Trials of the Lure Master, you will be transported back to Lonelywood. After you go to the Sea of Moving Ice and finish HoW, you will be transported back to Kuldaher. Then go to the Gnome Hideaway and finish IWD.
  • alannahsmithalannahsmith Member Posts: 143
    @Metal_Hurlant THANK YOU for that! I am playing through the Gnome Hideaway now and I'm stuck at a battle and it's not holding my interest. Now I can get back into the game. Thank you! :)<3
    Yes! Legend! Exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks heaps mate