Skip to content

Issues with Planar Sphere / Stronghold

To start I'll just say potential spoilers.

I have played a BG game on an emulator before but I barely remember it and I think that was #1, otherwise I'm completely new to BG in general and why I figured to start on #2, so please excuse my ignorance on a lot of things.

Okay, my issue sprang up recently where I completed the Planar Sphere quest. My PC is a multi-class Fighter / Mage and to my understanding Lavok is supposed to offer me the Planar Sphere as a stronghold at the end of this quest. He did no such thing. I took him outside, he muttered stuff about the sky and dropped to the floor, quest complete and looted the ring, etc. It is worth noting that just before this (but upon exiting the Planar Sphere), Edwin interrupted everything to rant on about the Nether Scroll (the bit where he gains 50,000 XP). I didn't think anything of it at the time and continued so a reload isn't an option. The Knights just want to talk about cannibal children or other irrelevant things, two of which for some reason will give me a journal update (despite I had already got them before I completed this quest).

I've tried to find a solution on Google but I get the usual "hey guys I found the fix" without telling how they did it or the solution simply not working for me. One in particular I figured would help the most was somebody suggesting I input CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("PCSphere","GLOBAL",1) into the console. I had to then dig around to get the console working (I can successfully bring that up now) but whenever I input that line it doesn't give me what I want.

To be exact, I get:
[string: "CLUAConsole:SetGlobal("PCSphere","GLOBAL",1)"]:1: error in function argument #1 is 'class CLUAConsole'; 'CLUAConsole' as expected.

In summary I want the Planar Sphere as my stronghold and would appreciate any help on getting a fix. I'm quite frankly rather PC illiterate and as I mentioned, new to BG(2) so please bear that in mind.

If you require any further information, I can provide. Many thanks for any help provided.

Comments

• AewyrvenAewyrven Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2016
    I was going to suggest that your mage level be higher than your fighter level but then I looked at my cleric mage old save before I had to restart and see its a 10 mage 11 cleric and I aquired the sphere and got the quest for the temple....didn't complete but on my current run I have the sphere again...)

I've only 2 thoughts, you can only have one stronghold (so in maybe your case you accepted Nala as yours from darnise) or..... it's hard coded in where you are forced into one... I know the game keeps treating me more as a mage than a cleric/mage. Maybe the game is treating you more as a fighter than a mage?

Side note, make sure valygar is alive at the end of the quest and in group so he does the dialog with lavok. That's all I can think of for now...

Edit: not 100% but if you took nalia as your stronghold you might not be able to get the sphere.... it would let you do the quest just not let you keep it.... dunno if u did that already tho.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    @Yawa The error you are getting is simply because the console initialization command has now changed. It is no longer CLUAConsole:... but simply C:

So, in your case, try C:SetGlobal("PCSphere","GLOBAL",1) instead.
  • YawaYawa Member Posts: 7
    @Aewyrven, your comment prompted me to check and it would appear I did accept De'Arnise, I guess I didn't realise it was a stronghold. Silly in retrospect, but no matter, gives me something to not take the next time I play.
    @Lord_Tansheron Good to know, I appreciate it.

Thank you both. :)
  • sansserifsansserif Member Posts: 125
    @Yawa
    Yeah, that's true.

I think the game limits you to just one stronghold.. I've always had the Planar Sphere as a sorcerer/Dragon disciple, hence I think being a Fighter/Mage gives you the option of the DeArnise Keep as a stronghold as well, which I've played in "Icewind Gate II" (a mod allowing you to play BG2 on IWD2 game engine) as I started one level in Paladin. I also think the de'Arnise keep actually gives you some nice quests.

I saw a post online sometime ago of a trick to get two strongholds as a F/M: Basically not to accept Nalia first (probably don't complete the troll quest), then do the mage stronghold quest and accept the Sphere, then finally use the clua command that you mentioned above. then lastly go to nalia and accept the keep. Not sure how this works, as I've not tried it.
  • YawaYawa Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2016
    So I've ran into another issue, again probably me being silly but still, I didn't want to create another thread. I'm at Watcher's Keep, the elemental level to be precise. I have the air/slime/ice sceptres and I'm completely aware of how to get the fire sceptre except for one problem: nothing is spawning in the fire lab. No elementals, no giants. I've had a fiddle with the doors and the fan, left and came back and still nothing, so I'm at a loss.

Edit: decided to just manually add the sceptre via the console.
    Post edited by Yawa on
  • AewyrvenAewyrven Member Posts: 228
    @yawa I also completed the cult of eyeless which would have given me my cleric stronghold but it auto declines it. Maybe if I hadn't taken the sphere to start with I could have gotten both but I'm unsure. I don't think you can go back if you decline and I definitely wasn't going to decline the sphere. (Cleric mage halfelf)

Glad you got it sorted.