Skip to content

BGEE is BG1 or 1 and 2? Also couple of general questions from a BG noob

Peteed1985Peteed1985 Member Posts: 63
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I'm pretty new to BG, first time I bought BG2 I installed it on my dual core and 10 minutes of a buggy tutorial later it was in the bin as the most crap game i'd ever tried. It told you to do something and that what you needed to use would light up but it didn't and you couldn't click on anything.

I think the issue was that my hardware was too new and the game wasn't made for it as well as the game was way way way too old and so video card companies weren't making updates to support it anymore. I mean when Skyrim or Crysis runs at max settings with no lag and yet BG2 has lag you know theres an issue.

So yeah basically I don't know the game much other than that alot of people consider it the best game ever which I only found out a year after I threw out the buggy thing.

So now i'm gunna get this one since it will be made to work with new hardware and high resolutions but i'm kinda wondering is this BG 1 or 1 and 2? I mean the way they word it it implys it has features from 2 but says nothing about the story so i'm assuming its just the features.

Baldur's Gate 2 Features
All of the additions and improvements from Baldur's Gate 2: The Shadows of Amn have been brought to Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Now you can use class kits, new subraces and classes that were previously unavailable.

Also is 1 very good or does it pale in comparison to 2? People only seem to comment on how good 2 is and 1 never even gets a mention.

Comments

• RadhamanthysRadhamanthys Member Posts: 106
    BGEE is just the BG1. Next year they will release BG2EE.
    BG1 is a very good game, but if you compare it to BG2 you will hear different opinions. I prefer BG2, but a lot of people find BG1 to be better or equal to BG2.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    They're both good in their own different ways, which is kind of odd but cool.

I preferred Baldur's Gate II for 9 years. Now I prefer Baldur's Gate 1. Lol.

BG1 leaves some stuff open-ended and up to the imagination. It has a lot of free-roaming. It has a lot of outdoor areas and a few, usually small dungeons. It has a ton of NPC choices. A solid plot, not amazing but solid. It feels "gritty" because you start a level 1, it's definitely a challenge to get onto your feet.

BGII is very thorough. It is pretty linear. It has a lot of dungeons, and very few outdoor areas. Its NPC choices are rather limited, but each NPC is very well developed. A fairly intriguing plot. By the end of the game you will feel quite powerful and competent and have a LOT of fun with your plethora of abilities. Also, it had much better gameplay when it came to fighting monsters as they had better AI. Now, of course, BG:EE will have that AI as well, which will be interesting.

I dunno, I'm probably missing some things. Anyway, I think you will enjoy it much. I can definitely relate to your frustrations about game compatability. Fixing that for BG:EE was near the top of their list.
  • Peteed1985Peteed1985 Member Posts: 63
    How would BG compare to NWN? I played the original NWN. Only real issue I had with NWN was that I don't understand the gear system as i'm used to ones where you stack strength and it directly ups your damage on a warrior or agility on a rogue like WoW so I end up putting on alot of gear that the stats didn't stack or equipping stuff that made me miss 90% of the time. Sadly it seems that to understand the gear system i'd need to learn the whole damn D&D tabletop game or read a whole wikipedia of hundreds of pages i'm told.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @peteed1985 If you are used to WoW, please believe me the whole gear optimisation system in WoW is far more complicated than in NWN and BG. Also it is totally different, with the added bonus that in BG nobody is looking over your shoulder calling you a noob because you aren't wearing what they think you should be wearing.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    Vanilla NWN is a steaming dog nugget compared to BG 1 and 2.

Fan-run servers were great though.

In terms of plot, feel, artwork and combat, BG wins hands down. The original campaign for NWN put me to sleep. There was no difficulty!

BG had me gripped, I lost countless nights of sleep. BG2 repeated this.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    @Peteed1985 BG and NWN are apples and oranges. I can only comment on the single-player.

NWN: 3d rotatable view
    1 PC and one 'henchman'
    3e D&D ruleset

BG: Fixed isometric view
    1 PC and up to 5 party members
    2e AD&D ruleset
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284

In terms of plot, feel, artwork and combat, BG wins hands down. The original campaign for NWN put me to sleep. There was no difficulty!

BG had me gripped, I lost countless nights of sleep. BG2 repeated this.

True on both accounts, but I found NWN SoU quite fun and far better than vanilla NWN campaign. And Deekin wins hands down as best henchman / joinable NPC from a plethora of games.
  • Peteed1985Peteed1985 Member Posts: 63

@Peteed1985 BG and NWN are apples and oranges. I can only comment on the single-player.

1 PC and one 'henchman'
    3e D&D ruleset

2e AD&D ruleset

Ouch 1 PC and 5 party members? Depending on how much micromanaging you need to do to stop them doing something stupid I could see that being bad.

My major issue with NWN was having to pause the game every 2 seconds to set up stuff or end up not using 99% of the abilities because combat went too fast.

Also with a caster with only 2 abilities and no way to rest cause enemies were nearby as well as only having a pathetic 7 or 8 max HP which the first enemies did in one hit I was quite literally forced as a new player into playing a fighter to be able to live.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012

1 PC and one 'henchman'
    3e D&D ruleset

2e AD&D ruleset

Ouch 1 PC and 5 party members? Depending on how much micromanaging you need to do to stop them doing something stupid I could see that being bad.
    Ummm, nooooo 1 PC and 5 party members is awesome. You are crazy, trust me. O_o; It doesn't feel awkward at all. And if you wanted you could totally play with less without being underpowered or anything. A 4 person party can be quite devastating very easily. That's the way I first managed to beat the game, personally.

The AI for party members is not nearly as stupid in BG as it is in NWN to be honest ... lots less assumptions made by the AI. Still a few, but nowhere near as squirrelly. Also, you can change any NPC's script to act how you want. Including making zero assumptions if you wish.