Skip to content

It is explained in SOD how Charname ends up with Khalid, Jaheria, Minsc, Dynahier, and Imoen???

roachtbproachtbp Member Posts: 42
Is it explained in SOD how Charname ends up with Khalid, Jaheria, Minsc, Dynahier, and Imoen (the cannon party)???

Ever since BG2 was released, I've felt compelled to use the cannon party in BG1 (for continuity reasons - so the story makes sense).

One of the very exciting things about SOD is that it may completely eliminate the idea of a "cannon party". The idea of a cannon party has bothered my for about 17 years now. Haha I feel like it should make sense story-wise to use whomever you please through BG1, SOD, and BG2.

So I would love to know if SOD explains how the Charname ended up with the cannon party in the beginning of BG2.

I don't care about spoilers, but other readers beware!!! Likely spoilers below!!!

Comments

• rjmacreadyrjmacready Member Posts: 91
    Im pretty sure Minsc and Dynaheir arent part of a canon party already. Theyre part of a canon rescue party that came looking for you at the start of BG2 so it already implied youd gone seperate ways before they tried to track you down.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    edited April 2016
    Pretty minimal explanation, but you do end up with them at the end regardless of who you had with you through most of SOD.

Full spoilery explanation:
    Basically at the end of SOD when you are having the victory celebration Jon Irenicus shows up and murders Skie, while framing you for it. You are arrested and taken to Baldur's Gate and put on trial. You are either found innocent and forced to leave the city, or you escape. Imoen and the others meet you outside, then you get ambushed by Jon Irenicus' servants. It doesn't really explain why they're there though. They just kind of show up.
  • roachtbproachtbp Member Posts: 42
    Sceptenar said:

Pretty minimal explanation, but you do end up with them at the end regardless of who you had with you through most of SOD.

Full spoilery explanation:

Basically at the end of SOD when you are having the victory celebration Jon Irenicus shows up and murders Skie, while framing you for it. You are arrested and taken to Baldur's Gate and put on trial. You are either found innocent and forced to leave the city, or you escape. Imoen and the others meet you outside, then you get ambushed by Jon Irenicus' servants. It doesn't really explain why they're there though. They just kind of show up.
    Oh, I see!!! That's exactly what I was looking for - a reason Charname was with the cannon party at the start of BG2. That satisfies my curiosity! Thanks for the answer!

I guess it isn't explained why those 5 characters in particular came to rescue you, but I don't care. It does address my main concern - how Charname ended up with the cannon party at the start of BG2.

So we can kiss the cannon party goodbye in BG1!!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • roachtbproachtbp Member Posts: 42
    A follow-up question I just thought of:

I know you can import your entire party into SOD from BG1, but very early on in SOD that party disbands and you get to create a new party.

My question is, after your initial party disbands, is Imoen ever a playable character??? I know she is unavailable for most of SOD for plot reasons, but is she available as a playable character at all after your imported party disbands (even if it is only briefly) or is she never available as a playable character after your imported party disbands??
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited April 2016
    sso they basically took a head canon. " you met up with them before the kidnapping.' and made it canon.
  • EldrythEldryth Member Posts: 56
    roachtbp said:

A follow-up question I just thought of:

I know you can import your entire party into SOD from BG1, but very early on in SOD that party disbands and you get to create a new party.

My question is, after your initial party disbands, is Imoen ever a playable character??? I know she is unavailable for most of SOD for plot reasons, but is she available as a playable character at all after your imported party disbands (even if it is only briefly) or is she never available as a playable character after your imported party disbands??

Sort of. She joins you very briefly at the end, but there's no fighting left at that point. She's there just long enough for you to meet with the canon party and trigger the ending cutscene.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Regarding Imoen
    Imoen begins SOD having become the apprentice of one of the dukes of Baldur's Gate, the female mage whose name I can't recall. She doesn't join you until the very end of the game. It's basically an explanation for how she becomes a mage.