Skip to content

My favorite thing so far

So, I was thinking about what I liked the most so far, and while the expansion is a bit better than what I thought it'd be so far, I think the thing that grips me most...

...is the option to be a jester in most dialogue. Particularly since my first playthrough is with a 'serious not allowed' elf girl with a penchant for running her mouth faster than her Paws of the Cheetah can take her.

Comments

• rjmacreadyrjmacready Member Posts: 91
    I agree some of the less serious dialogue options have been great. Obviously a lot of psuedo-rpgs these days are all about the "sarcastic" options with Dragon Age and Fallout 4 being examples.

However since this is a proper RPG, aside from the dialogue itself being written really well because you arent saddled with voices dialogue it doesnt snap conversations around erratically. I make the occasional comic remark yet can shift back to a more serious tone in a way thats really fluid.

I will say though regardless of comedic lines, when Im engrossed in SoDs conversations it really feels like BG2 to me. Its becoming a bit of a cliche but I think SoD really feels like BG2 style.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Heh, I love it, too. Corwin gets hillariously irritated when you pick the jokey answers. She is an all serious and no-nonsense woman, I like that.

Glint on the other hand is the polar opposite, he dismisses you if you talk too serious and dour, and encouragesyou to joke and be less-serious. I like that too. Dynaheir and Glint also have playfully conflicting banters. That makes sense, as both Dyna and Corwin are lawful-good, serious and responsible women. Glint is the neutral good jester.

I love how bg games reflect good alignments.
    Lawful good-always serious, a bit stuck up, but has great compassion and cares for everything greatly- a mission man/woman. Corwin, Dynaheir, to a less extent Aerie in BG2.
    Neutral good-actually cares for people and is a nice person but has a playful and mischevious side too. Imoen and Glint.
    Chaotic good-edgy and not neccesarily 'very' nice. More into punishing evil and slaying monsters. Kivan and Coran. Minsc becomes one too in bg2 due to what happens to him at the start of bg2.
  • jameskerjamesker Member Posts: 99
    As great as the original games were didn't really feel there was as much scope to play evil characters and conversation options while being evil . Amber Scott has taken a lot of critism for the writing, but she has expanded the choices and evil conversations so give her some credit for that and the evil choices aren't evil or evil sake in a lot of cases they make perfect sense for someone looking out for themselves as a evil character.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    edited April 2016
    If you've finished the game as an "evil" character you're in for a bit of a surprise also...

One of MY favorite things about this particular game?

It's not "good" centrist. The "good" ending isn't just reserved for those who play lawful good through the whole game. The game makes it "ok" to be bad.

I have a really hard time coming up with more than a handful of other RPGs out there that don't give you the option to play evil and then punish you for it.
  • StonekingStoneking Member Posts: 39
    edited April 2016
    I like to play through as the unwavering, uncompromising lawful good paladin. People give it a bad wrap and say its stupid, but I think its probably the least played and unique character type out of all the alignments. Everyone wants to be the sarcastic Deadpool type character, or the evil smirking guy who wears dark clothing.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    I took the liberty of removing my comment and replacing it with lawful good. I was in NO WAY intending to insult anyone who played a LG class through the game as I myself tend to be a pretty straight laced player.

Apologies if I happened to offend anyone on that.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    To be fair friend, alignment is an illusion that we pretend is real and any character could be shoved into any alignment.
  • kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    @Illydth I was really looking forward to my first "real evil-sh" playthrough, and what you say is motivating me to try.

I usually first play as a LG paladin, then a bit more nuanced NG mage, and miserably fail any CN or Mystra-forbid Evil playthrough. I just can see the NPC suffering XD

BUT when the game actually differentiates things for an evil behaviour (and doesn't just punish you and make the game more difficult, like the original BG) then it motivates me to try it out. Evil just for evil's sake I can't stand, even in a game.

Hopefully there's enough content in that direction :)
  • InsultionInsultion Member Posts: 179

To be fair friend, alignment is an illusion that we pretend is real and any character could be shoved into any alignment.

I heartily disagree. I find that most people in life do fall under one of the six categories, they're fairly all-encompassing. It's a less a tell of morality and more a tell of motivation.

• cdxcdx Member Posts: 90
    The PC writing has been one of my favourite things so far, too. It's just as good as the best pieces from BG1 and BG2 but happens more often!