Skip to content

Need Help - Can't connect to game session. (fixed)

StygianSonneStygianSonne Member Posts: 5
edited April 2016 in Multiplayer
Hi guys. I'm wondering if anyone on the forums can help me with my connection issues. Apologies in advance if i am posting this in the wrong place(wasn't sure whether to use Multiplayer or Support>Troubleshooting).

I am getting this error when i try to join a game: Can't connect to game session.

This is the story so far.

My brother and i both love this game and we've decided to try and play together over a local network for the first time while still using the Beamdog.net servers. We think, that this is the correct way to play since there seems to be an issue with the local network setting option in multiplayer(games not showing up?), however this could just stem from the overall issue we're having.

Our process so far has been this:

1. Download and Install a fresh and un-modded Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition & Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear(BGEE2 may come later). Our installations are identical and our files and folders are in the same places.

Note: This copy of BGEE and BGEE:SoD was bought through Steam. Because we have only bought one of each we have had to enable and play via Offline Mode in Steam so that our games will not be closed as per the stupid steam authentication.

2. Opened the following ports on the host computer(have not tried opening them on both yet). The following ports have been opened and from what i can gather these are the correct ones.
Ports: TCP/UDP - 2300 to 2400
TCP/UDP - 6073
TCP/UDP - 74630
TCP/UDP - 74624
TCP/UDP - 15000

3. We checked both firewalls on each of our PC's and Baldur's Gate has been added as an exception.

This is what we've tried and so far failed to join any games properly.

Additionally we:
Use a Telstra Router on our Network.
Can see the games being hosted but when we try to join the hosted game the joinee always fails with the message: Failed to connect to game session.
Tried using a Hamatchi server to connect as I've heard that some people use this although I'm not sure if this is just for the original game(not Enhanced Edition), nevertheless this did not help us out at all.

Thanks, and all help is appreciated.
Regards.
Post edited by StygianSonne on

Comments

• MyrdiNNMyrdiNN Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2016
    This might not be much help to you, but when using hamachi and ping each other (right mouse button on your brother-> ping), do you time-out? My guess is that it will, keep fidgeting with firewall settings (don't forget windows firewall) until you get a ping response. Once this works, let him host the game as a LAN game and manually enter his (hamachi) IP using the 'direct connection' function the game. I haven't had much luck with the server browser thingy myself.

hope this helps
  • StygianSonneStygianSonne Member Posts: 5
    Thanks a bunch MyrdiNN! It turns out that the firewall was indeed causing the connection issues. I tried pinging our PC's via the Himatchi network and it showed no response.
    I then disabled both firewalls temporarily to see if this was the problem and it was.
    One of the firewalls was being managed by an external anti-virus and so the changes i had been making were not being saved. I fixed the issue by uninstalling the AV software and again applying the changes.
    It all works now, tyvm for the advice!