Skip to content

Refunding the Collector's Edition.. Is it possible?

I tried not to make this public, but has anyone else requested for a refund for Collector's Edition? The buyer's remorse Iam having here is overwhelming. It would be too late if the CE was already shipped, but it's not and we have no idea when it's coming. I just contacted Beamdog's customer service and asked for refund for Collector's Edition. I already bought the Expansion on Steam..

Comments

• WillyML4WillyML4 Member Posts: 9
    I've put in a request for a refund as well. Haven't heard back of anything yet, but I gave them my confirmation number for that order. I did get a system reply that it was going through a review process.
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    edited April 2016
    I sent an email to

support@beamdog.zendesk.com

Will see how it goes.

And the CE was planned to be shipped somewhere in June. They probably did not even start producing it.
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    Be my guest. But don't forget the money. ;)
  • sb81848889sb81848889 Member Posts: 51
    Sadly, I am also thinking of getting a refund, the collectors edition was very expensive, but I thought it was going to be one of those things you regret if you dont get it.

However with the cavalier attitude of Beamdog and careless writing from someone who clearly has no love for this game I do not think this would be a wise purchase.

Watching this drama unfold is too much to take for such a valuable game franchise. To see it degenerate any further is unacceptable.

Back to playing civil war generals 2 for me. I will check back here in a year or two.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    I'm buying CE half price if you don't want it.
  • HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2016
    I would be probably okay to pay half price for CE. But I paid $174.99 for it. The shipping cost gave it an extreme extra price...

Apparently there is a "Return Policy" in Beamdog which is clear. I hope it's also for cancelling a pre-order. As consumer, we should be entitled to cancel our pre-order for Collector's Edition. Since no shippings are done yet. They can keep the $20 for a base game I got from Collector's Edition. But I don't want the fancy map, dice bag, books, soundtracks anymore. I want my $150 back. Iam not a rich person. The reason I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition because I was blinded by hype and fanboyism.

Hopefully we get a response soon.
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    I'm pretty sure youd be able to cancel a pre-order that hasn't even been dispatched yet
  • ThaudalThaudal Member Posts: 37
    I also put in a request to cancel mine. I did it yesterday. Hope to get a reply soon.

The funny thing is, I ordered it less than an hour after Trent announced it on Twitter, just like Heavline, out of blind fanboyism. I LOVE Baldur's Gate, it's my favorite game of all time. Which is why seeing how Beamdog (even Trent himself) has handled this whole situation so extremely arrogantly, and my all-time favorite game being about nothing but controversial shit now, saddens me so much. I don't WANT that CE box standing anywhere near me, reminding me of all this negative shit.
  • Xerxes1811Xerxes1811 Member Posts: 65
    I also order the Collectors Edition out of pure BG fanboyism, but this whole mess has completely deflated my BG balloon. I don't care if you support Beamdogs decision or hate it, but the damage has been done. And GrimLefourbe, no reason to insult anyone, we as consumers have the right to request a refund on a product that hasn't even shipped yet, doesn't matter what the reasons are, lay off the insults ok?
    edited April 2016
    He can't, Xerxes, because if there is ANY REASON AT ALL why you don't like this whole ordeal, it MUST be because you are a hateful biggot living in 1954. That is the ONLY sane explanation. Everyone else is right, you are wrong. Admit it. You are a hateful, small-minded misogynistic little evil man. Admit it.

If you even try to tell me that you don't like the arrogant attitude from the company, or you don't like the main writer insulting a highly loved game and its fans, or you don't like the fact that they don't care, if you don't like the fact that they call critics small-minded, if you don't like that the try do delete slandering tweets (and then go on to whine when people archive said tweets to hold them accountable), if you don't like them asking directly for positive reviews, or a million other little things that could be perceived as shady, arrogant or simply bad business practice... THEN YOU ARE A LIAR! It is ONLY because YOUR little fragile man-ego can't handle how progressive the writing is!!! ADMIT IT!!!

Oh you won't? Doesn't matter. They are right anyways. They always are.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    Same as @GrimLefourbe but on a serious note ;), should they deny your request, can we buy it from you for half the price?

You can't seriously say that Siege of Dragonspear is about nothing but controversial shit.

That's not only what this is about (although frankly, just looking at the box would remind me of all this shit). It's simply that I will not support a company that behaves in the ways in which they have during the last couple of days. Simple as that.
  • TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265

And GrimLefourbe, no reason to insult anyone, we as consumers have the right to request a refund on a product that hasn't even shipped yet, doesn't matter what the reasons are, lay off the insults ok?

You have the right to request a refund, but you don't have the right to tell us what we can and can't find ridiculous. I'm completely with GrimLefourbe here, cancelling a pre-order due to two lines of SJW propaganda in an 25 hour expansion is beyond ridiculous. It's like having a five course meal at an expansive restaurant but refusing to pay because there was a smudge on a napkin.

Sure, the smudge shouldn't be there. It could be noted and fixed for the next meal. But refusing to pay is just overreacting like there's no tomorrow.
    That's a pretty bad analogy; in your analogy, you actually eat the entire meal.

In my actual case, I have not yet received anything, physical nor virtual.
    Also, it has moved beyond JUST the smudge on the napkin; it's become about much more; finding out that the restaurant managers have business practices I do not, out of pure principle, wish to support.

So it would be more akin to driving to a the restaurant (really hungry and excited), but then you hear about their bad business practices on the radio, and you turn the car around and head back home instead.
    Tenrecc said:

And GrimLefourbe, no reason to insult anyone, we as consumers have the right to request a refund on a product that hasn't even shipped yet, doesn't matter what the reasons are, lay off the insults ok?

You have the right to request a refund, but you don't have the right to tell us what we can and can't find ridiculous. I'm completely with GrimLefourbe here, cancelling a pre-order due to two lines of SJW propaganda in an 25 hour expansion is beyond ridiculous. It's like having a five course meal at an expansive restaurant but refusing to pay because there was a smudge on a napkin.

Sure, the smudge shouldn't be there. It could be noted and fixed for the next meal. But refusing to pay is just overreacting like there's no tomorrow.
    It doesn't matter what you think, consumers have the right to request a refund on a product they are unhappy with. They also have the right to not be insulted and belittled on here. You don't know the reason why people are requesting refunds, so stop painting everyone with a broad brush.

edited April 2016
    That's still a bad analogy because if you pre-paid your meal and then don't show up, that's hurtful to the restaurant so you're probably not getting your money back. It's a bad analogy so this reasoning shouldn't apply here.

If you should or should not have a refund depends on the way they process things.

In my opinion, a pre-order shouldn't be refunded because you changed your view on the company you pre-ordered for, that's your bad for pre ordering and that's why many people advise against pre ordering(I do, but I trusted Beamdog and I still do). As most games today, you should get a refund if the CE isn't what was advertised.

I assume you're going to get your refund anyway (Beamdog are actually cool guys), but you were willing to put over $150 for a pre order and changed your mind after reading 2 to 3 lines and witnessing the devs reacting (arguably badly) to a reddit brigade. That sounds ridiculous to me, it sounds so ridiculous to me that sarcasm seemed the best option.
  • feersum_endjinnfeersum_endjinn Member Posts: 65
    I'd recommend everyone tries the game before getting refunds etc.

You don't have to like certain bits of the content, but ignoring those (which is very easy to do), it's a really good game, made by people who clearly care very deeply about the series and have tried to make something fun for people to enjoy. Play the game and try to put your bias aside, and you're in for a treat.
    It would be more akin to cancelling a reservation; No food was actually made or served yet. Worst case scenario, there'd be a cancellation fee.

It might seem ridicilous to you. To me, there were to primary reasons to make the purchase (other than the obvious one being that the CE was labelled as "highly limited" and could only be purchased as a preorder):

1: I expected content true to Baldur's Gate
    2: I wanted to support a company I thought was doing cool things

I then found out that:

1: The content was NOT true to Baldur's Gate (bad writing and SJW political shoehorning was not originally present)
    2: The company was NOT doing cool things

Typically, you can cancel a preorder when new information about the product comes out that wasn't as advertised. This is both the case for the product and the company.

That's still a bad analogy because if you pre-paid your meal and then don't show up, that's hurtful to the restaurant so you're probably not getting your money back. It's a bad analogy so this reasoning shouldn't apply here.

If you should or should not have a refund depends on the way they process things.

In my opinion, a pre-order shouldn't be refunded because you changed your view on the company you pre-ordered for, that's your bad for pre ordering and that's why many people advise against pre ordering(I do, but I trusted Beamdog and I still do). As most games today, you should get a refund if the CE isn't what was advertised.

I assume you're going to get your refund anyway (Beamdog are actually cool guys), but you were willing to put over $150 for a pre order and changed your mind after reading 2 to 3 lines and witnessing the devs reacting (arguably badly) to a reddit brigade. That sounds ridiculous to me, it sounds so ridiculous to me that sarcasm seemed the best option.

The restaurant analogy doesn't work. I've pre-ordered a box containing non-perishable items that could it on a shelf for 20 years and be fine. If Beamdog grants a refund for someone, they simply have the option of re-selling the box of non-perishable items. A restaurant doesn't have that option, once they make food, they can't sit on it for an hour and then just sell it to someone else, that cancelled order definitely hurts the restaurant. So that analogy doesn't work. Beamdog could sell this CE 20 years from now if they wanted to, though it wouldn't run on future computers obviously, but the consumer would still get the maps, books, dice, etc. in the end it doesn't matter, consumers have a right to request a refund on an item that has not even shipped, it then just goes back into Beamdog's inventory. Where it would hurt Beamdog is if the CE was returned opened or damaged in some way where they couldn't resell it.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Ladies and gentlemen, let's not go into reasons behind the OP's decision, nor his motives.

@Heavyline, write to support@beamdog.com and your plea will have an answer.
  • feersum_endjinnfeersum_endjinn Member Posts: 65
    Thaudal said:

1: The content was NOT true to Baldur's Gate (bad writing and SJW political shoehorning was not originally present)

You're doing the game a disservice. The overall quality of writing was as good as Baldur's Gate 2 - I'd say BG2 clinches it simply because the main villain is so good, but SoD is more consistently good.
  • HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2016
    Thank you, @bengoshi

This is the reason I tried to avoid to ask this publicly. It's been two days and there still hasn't been response from the Costumer Service. However, I got the steam key for "Siege of Dragonspear" in less than 12 hours. The buyer's remorse is bothering me more and more every hour it's making me desperate.

...and trust me. It has nothing to do with the current controversy. I just find that the content in this expansion is not satisfying enough Iam ready to pay...

$175

...from it! I went against my "Never pre-order" principle and now Iam deeply regretting it.
    @Xerxes1811 The restaurant analogy is a bad analogy but not for the reason you say. Even if the restaurant didn't cook anything, they reserved a table and nobody is going to eat so they could have made money and they're not going to because nobody showed up. It's not about it being perishable or no.

However, I doubt Beamdog will have issues finding people to buy the Collector Edition, they could sell the goodies separately though that could lead to other people considering the "exclusive" labelling of the pre order as misleading.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    The customer's service is very busy, I waited for 3 days for the Steam key, and this new request of yours is not a standard one, so I guess you have to wait and see, @Heavyline
    @Heavyline Isn't that the principle, and the risk, of preordering though? I understand it's annoying to put $175 into something and then be disappointed, but maybe you shouldn't have put $175 into it in the first place?

I pre-ordered too, the $20 one not the $175 one because I don't have that kind of disposable income but I knew what I was getting into, and if the game turned out to be bad, I'd just lose $20, that's pre ordering.
  • WillyML4WillyML4 Member Posts: 9
    @GrimLefourbe This is crazy. What is it to you if we are canceling our pre-orders? I don't approve of how Beamdog has conducted itself in the last few days, and I've been supporting them since the release of BG:EE. I have played SoD, and I can say that the writing is nowhere as good as the original games. All this political correctness being shoehorned and railroaded into the game for the sake of someone's ego is enough to make me not want anything more to do with this product, company, or community. I played Baldur's Gate to be a hero, not to have and be told mansplaining, listen to characters' vanity rewrites, or aid some overpowered Mary Sue. It was once an escape from reality that has now lost all enjoyment over the bickering of these forums. You can go and enjoy it for all you like, but I'm done with this toxic relationship.
This discussion has been closed.