Skip to content

Grats on Beamdog for creating the 2nd best BG title

I just wanted to make a thread congratulating Beamdog on SoD being generally excellent. To my eyes, it's easily the second best piece of Baldur's Gate content (only behind BG2) released. The writing and gameplay is far and away better than BG1, TotSC, and ToB and I think that deserves a lot of props. They've actually added a meaningful entry to the series that I will look forward to every time I start another BG1 -> ToB playthrough.
[Deleted User]ArdulIllustairKrotosJuliusBorisovEldrythbrusAedanillathidelminsterBGLoverAutocratproccosparkleavMythagoEnialusMeliamne4verseCameronToferDeisGenderNihilismGirdle

Comments

• Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Thank you for your thoughts friend.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ArdulGenderNihilismGirdle
  • minsc4prezminsc4prez Member Posts: 105
    I woulfnt say it's better than bg1, but it is certainly a welcome addition to the series after all these years
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    High-praise. Look forward to playing the rest.
    I've not gone back yet since encountering a bugged quest. Desperately needs a patch unfortunately.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • DamianusDamianus Member Posts: 5

The writing and gameplay is far and away better than BG1, TotSC, and ToB and I think that deserves a lot of props. They've actually added a meaningful entry to the series that I will look forward to every time I start another BG1 -> ToB playthrough.

What the... are you serious? I mean... really? I would understand if this was written on April 1st.
    How blind one has to be to write such bollocks?
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    ToTSc > SoD > ToB
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    He is entitled to his opinion. You have a different opinion. That's fine also. But it does not make him "blind" just as much your opinion does not make you "blind." What you can do, however, is elaborate why. Constructive criticism is appreciated, believe it or not
    JuliusBorisovKrotosCameronToferDeis
  • cloudkillbeatsallcloudkillbeatsall Member Posts: 98
    edited April 2016
    I'm not even going to compare it to the original game but I will say that they're at least on par with IWD. A fair few good encounters and a fair few nice quests. I think I would have to play it again to really evaluate it properly though. Or give myself some time to think about it.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    If at least OP's post wasn't shoe horned in my face. I just had to go on the game forum, open a topic about the second best BG title and there it was, absolutely disgusting.
    Illustaircraymond727Alatan
  • 4verse4verse Member Posts: 26
    agree to the OP. but i liked the open fields and many woods in BG :-)
    [Deleted User]kanisatha
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    I actually like the title very much because I like both BG1 and BG2 a lot, and to me they are just different type of games that are just as great in their own regards.

BG2 lacks the open world aspect that I really enjoy about BG1. BG2 is "guided" and there seems to be a plan as to how quests work. (strong hold related, start in the city, takes you to new areas that you can't access beforehand) I'm not a fan of that part of BG2. BG1 also has a great self discovering aspect imo, there's a lot to learn by going out of the path.

Meanwhile BG1 entirely lacks the living party aspect that is great in BG2. I'm not a fan of early level D&D, it makes the game very cheesy and luck based while the number of tools available to solve a sticky situation is much bigger in BG2.

To me, SoD strikes a middleground as there is much exploring to be done inside each area but the party still feels alive so from my point of view, wether you're more of a BG1 guy or a BG2 guy, SoD can take the second place.
    [Deleted User]GenderNihilismGirdle