Skip to content

couple thoughts on the game

simplessimples Member Posts: 540
Been playing for about 10 hours.

So far I'm quite happy: the new UI is great, lots of options graphics-wise (health bars etc, although I switched most off, it's great to have a choice), the new AI is very good.

The storyline is good enough to hold my interest, although not spectacular. The side quests were refreshingly challenging and creative.

(also I met a transgender character and thought "oh, cool" but apparently 99 per cent of people on the Internet are more qualified to give their opinions on the matter than I am)

Now my problems:
- pathfinding in baldurs gate city. Getting around was slow. Invariably someone would end up getting stuck behind a horse. Not just in bg btw, it also happened in a wilderness area.

- a lot of the fights feel a bit samey after a while. Maybe this is a result of putting more encounters in the areas. It made it feel more like iwd and less like a proper Rpg to me.

- after I finished the caves, three merhin map markers were called "currens (?) grave" all of a sudden.

- after two friendly chats, I had the option of (sort of) asking corwin to start a relationship (paraphrasing). This felt weird as there were no signals leading up to it.

- voice overs mispronouncing words. Cata-combs? Also, I've heard (for example) korlasz being pronounced two or three different ways.

- I really need a fighter to put in my party.. and I reaaaally dislike Minsc. Tips?

- EDIT: while I think the writing is, by and large, well done.. some of it does break immersion sometimes due to it being a bit too modern, though I'd say this is mostly based on nostalgia.. I mean, BG came out almost 20 years ago and times (and popular language and slang) have changed and BG was hardly "historically" correct language-wise.

So all in all, good job Beamdog. Just some minor annoyances. Of course this is all subjective... I've really enjoyed it so far.

Comments

• Mikey205Mikey205 Member Posts: 307
    Sounds good to me. Looking forward to playing when I finish my BG:EE playthrough. Most important thing is story and on the whole that sounds well received.
  • WesleyWesley Member Posts: 55
    edited April 2016
    For a Minsc replacement: you can pick up Dorn in the Boareskyr Bridge/Bridgefort map.
  • EnvygamesEnvygames Member Posts: 57
    Wesley said:

For a Minsc replacement: you can pick up Dorn in the Boareskyr Bridge/Bridgefort map.

Realy? huh....i seem to have totaly missed him. And i am pretty sure i did go the map up and down at least twice. Where can you find him?
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    Wesley said:

thanks, but i'm running a good party on my first playthrough... decided to go with rasaad.
  • FiachFiach Member Posts: 231
    Can you revert the gfx to the previous EE version?

Thanks for any insight :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2016
    Envygames said:

Wesley said:

Realy? huh....i seem to have totaly missed him. And i am pretty sure i did go the map up and down at least twice. Where can you find him?
    He's in a cage just south of the bridge's gate.
    Fiach said:

in the options menu under graphics you can toggle health bars, sprite outlines etc.

• EnvygamesEnvygames Member Posts: 57
    elminster said:

Envygames said:

Wesley said:

He's in a cage just south of the bridge's gate.
    Thank you very much ! :)
  • FiachFiach Member Posts: 231
    simples said:

Fiach said:

in the options menu under graphics you can toggle health bars, sprite outlines etc.

Brilliant, thanks for that, I wasn't very fond of them in the video I saw, cheers!
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    simples said:

Been playing for about 10 hours.

So far I'm quite happy: the new UI is great, lots of options graphics-wise (health bars etc, although I switched most off, it's great to have a choice), the new AI is very good.

The storyline is good enough to hold my interest, although not spectacular. The side quests were refreshingly challenging and creative.

(also I met a transgender character and thought "oh, cool" but apparently 99 per cent of people on the Internet are more qualified to give their opinions on the matter than I am)

Now my problems:
    - pathfinding in baldurs gate city. Getting around was slow. Invariably someone would end up getting stuck behind a horse. Not just in bg btw, it also happened in a wilderness area.

- a lot of the fights feel a bit samey after a while. Maybe this is a result of putting more encounters in the areas. It made it feel more like iwd and less like a proper Rpg to me.

- after I finished the caves, three merhin map markers were called "currens (?) grave" all of a sudden.

- after two friendly chats, I had the option of (sort of) asking corwin to start a relationship (paraphrasing). This felt weird as there were no signals leading up to it.

- voice overs mispronouncing words. Cata-combs? Also, I've heard (for example) korlasz being pronounced two or three different ways.

- I really need a fighter to put in my party.. and I reaaaally dislike Minsc. Tips?

- EDIT: while I think the writing is, by and large, well done.. some of it does break immersion sometimes due to it being a bit too modern, though I'd say this is mostly based on nostalgia.. I mean, BG came out almost 20 years ago and times (and popular language and slang) have changed and BG was hardly "historically" correct language-wise.

So all in all, good job Beamdog. Just some minor annoyances. Of course this is all subjective... I've really enjoyed it so far.

Damn that's good constructive criticism. I share some of your critiques, especially re: Corwin's romance options feeling a bit inorganic/out of nowhere. As for fighters... you get Khalid and Dorn after a bit. I don't count Rasaad because he fights like a mage.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    simples said:

Wesley said:

thanks, but i'm running a good party on my first playthrough... decided to go with rasaad.
    Just keep him completely out of combat and he should be fine :wink:
    Rasaad's doing quite well actually!