Skip to content

Anyone else disappointed about the classic characters in SoD? *SPOILERS*

There's huge controversy surrounding transgender character with poor writing etc. But is it just me or is anyone else disappointed with the classic characters (Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc, Dynaheir, Edwin, Viconia, Safana) in Siege of Dragonspear?

What I mean is that these lovable characters from Baldur's Gate series... don't really feel like the same characters I've known and loved for years. Even if they do have the same voice actors. Something just feels off.

For example, the first encounter with Edwin. When you first time see Edwin and there's option; "Edwin? Is that you?!" Edwin also responds almost with joy; "CHARNAME? What are you doing here?" That is not Edwin I know! Edwin wouldn't give a damn what was I name. I remember in Baldur's Gate II when you face Edwin during "Find proof of Mae'var's Treachery", if you try to 'recognize' Edwin, he simply didn't give a damn who you were. Edwin is a narcissistic scumbag and that's why I loved him. Also, Edwin having no reaction for having Dynaheir in your party the first time you see him in SoD? Also I was sad that it's not even possible to have Dynaheir, Minsc and Edwin in your party at the same time.

Minsc's voicelines were also massive letdown. Instead of classic; "Swords, not words!", "You point! I punch!" "Full plate and packin' steel!" or getting anything new ... we get these generic; "Huh?" "Aye?" "Yes?" "Trouble?" (Don't get me even started with that "ethics"-talk).

Don't get me wrong. New stuff is always welcome, but I was hoping to see more memorable NPCs from Baldur's Gate. Even make them recruitable. I may have missed alot. Iam not even near the end. But where's Kivan? AJantis? Brawen? Yeslick? Kagain? What happened to Eldoth since Skie is around? Iam surprised Shar-Teel was completely left behind since the main writer wanted to have more power for female characters and Sharty was quite something!