Skip to content

Requesting a better Search for the forums.

AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
edited July 2012 in Site Resources
- Add option to choose search "by title" or search by "title & whole discussion"
- Add option to show results "as topics" (list of several topics where keywords are mentioned) or "as posts" (exact posts)
- Move Search button above "New Discussion" button. Coz currently a lot of duplicate discussions started to appear.

P.S. Sorry for lame English.
Post edited by Tanthalas on

Comments

• AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Hope @DanBoulos and @CameronTofer would take into account these suggestions :)
  • ZakerosZakeros Member Posts: 75
    I agree with your suggestions, the advanced search options are must-be I think. And moving Search Button up was also mentioned by me, so, double-agree ;)
  • AkerhonAkerhon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 614
    I like it :-)
  • DanBoulosDanBoulos Member Posts: 146
    @Anton: the request has been sent off for these changes
    Awesome! Hope this would help us to eliminate amount of dublicate threads.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited July 2012
    Since this forum got bigger and bigger and threads get buried fast, I thought it might be good Idea to Implement Advance Search option, since It is hard time right now to search for thread on the board...

An option to search by dates, by title and so on will make life much easier.

**Unless I miss-used the current setup, if so, please enlighten me :)

thanks!

Post edited by mch202 on
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    The number of posts on this forum is constantly growing, and a basic relevance word/phrase search may be a bit limited at this point. I think this is a good idea, an implementation of some sort of advanced search feature could certainly help out.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Growing really fast .. Im for it :O)
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I seaport.
    @Tanthalas Please merge with Search topic.

Gosh! This forum is filled with same requests due to absence of good search option.

@DanBoulos @Coriander
    Idea: when someone creating a new discussion forced search is made with its title and user should tic a check-box "There is no similar discussion on this forum."

edited July 2012
    Anton said:

@Tanthalas Please merge with Search topic.

Gosh! This forum is filled with same requests due to absence of good search option.

@DanBoulos @Coriander
    Idea: when someone creating a new discussion forced search is made with its title and user should tic a check-box "There is no similar discussion on this forum."

Ironically enough, if you try to search "search" you wont find any useful information. I dont care if this thread get merged or even deleted, as long as they will implement advance search :p

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Merging them

I can't do anything about improving the Search thing though. Maybe an administrator can do something about that.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    edited July 2012
    If someone knows of a good search system plugin for vanilla forums we can probably try it.
    edited July 2012
    http://vanillaforums.org/addon/vanillaseo-plugin

Donno if it works @Coriander

And when you ae there perhaps add : http://vanillaforums.org/addon/worldflags-plugin

Just a little add on to get flags on users on their profil :O)
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    What do you think @CameronTofer?
    edited August 2012
    @CameronTofer - any news regarding a better search function?? I find the Ctrl+F more useful than the current search..
    Post edited by mch202 on
    edited August 2012
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Bumping for @Fake_Sketch and others.

I agree with the suggestions in the OP and would also like the option to search an exact phrase in quotes. If you try it now, the results are weird.
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    Mmm yeah, we really need this, search system is pretty bad right now. I feel we need a lot of forum improvements, I hope there is time and money for this after 18/9.
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    Aye, Improved search is a must.
  • MorrandirrMorrandirr Member Posts: 60
    +1
  • AshlspiessAshlspiess Member Posts: 26
    When a phrase is entered into the search box, it will typically use an 'or' search, returning many undesired results. Is there no advanced search that will allow me to do an 'and' search, as well as limit the search to subject only?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Unfortunately, not yet. Your best bet for now is to use an external search engine and limit your queries to this site (add "site:forum.baldursgate.com"). This won't solve the title search problem, but will allow you to do AND searches, look for an exact phrase, and exclude words from your results.
    Couldnt it be , so when we write a word to search or a line, it will search on the topics titel, and not the contents of the thread. Think it will improve it a great deal :)
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    edited December 2012
    Like other fora that have *good* search functions, you should be able to:

- search either for a specific phrase, all of the words or some of the words
    - have the option to either search in topic title or topic body,
    - have the option to search in specific sub-fora,
    - sort the results by date (and possibly other sorting options?).

As we all know, the search function is a bit useless right now. Thanks to @Morrandir for bumping.