Skip to content

On True Colors

So I spent the weekend enjoying (and completing) SoD, then I come to the forums to do some reading and find the place a mess. What’s all this commotion about? A trans character in the game? Poor writing of such a character? A hamfisted representation of such? Immersion breaking? Social justice politics? (what?) I didn’t recall meeting this character, so I went back and loaded up and old save, and lo and behold, there she is. Mizhena. Oh yeah, the Tempus cleric. I go and talk to her to see what the fuss is about. THIS? ONE PARAGRAPH? THIS IS WHAT PEOPLE ARE FREAKING OUT OVER? I see why I missed it; I didn’t care about her name so I never asked her about it. Though if I had, I would have shrugged and moved on. I say to myself, this couldn’t be what the forum have blown up over, so I go read some more. YUP. THIS IS WHAT THE FORUM HAS BLOWN UP OVER.

HAHAHAHAHA w.t.f?….

OK, so:

If you think the problem with Mizhena is the “hamfisted” nature, go ahead and rant about all the other hamfisted things in the BG saga. We can all list them together! It’ll be fun. We can roll around in our spite.

If you think the problem with Mizhena is the “poor writing”, go ahead and rant about all the other instances of poor writing found in the BG saga. We can be curators of negativity!

If you think the problem is that Mizhena breaks immersion by bringing real life issues into a video game, go ahead and rant about all the other immersion breaking moments in the BG saga. We can start in Candlekeep and make our way past the noobers and pantaloon units all the way to hell!

If you think the problem is that Mizhena injects “politics” into the game, I fear that the term would be too broad, to the point that, unfortunately, we’d have to slash most of the game :/ Any character that makes mention of a home life? AGENDA! I don’t want to hear about your lover, Coran, it makes me think about sex, and I’m a puritan. I don’t like to think about sex. Don’t politicize my spider bashing.

..or you can just wake up and realize all this is about one tiny character and old-news narrative issues. And that with all of these protests, your true colored pantaloons are shining right through.

Comments

• Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    What did you like about the new game friend? Personally I very much enjoyed the larger scale battles, I always like an excuse to toss a few fireballs.
  • TimebombTimebomb Member Posts: 20
    I liked the larger battles too, but to be honest, I ran in story mode because I wanted to absorb it without worrying about combat. I'll play on harder difficulties on my next playthrough.

Back on topic though, here's a good article on this stupid mess:

http://venturebeat.com/2016/04/04/baldurs-gates-expansion-adds-diversity-and-of-course-some-people-hate-it/

This author puts it much nicer than I do though. I just think people here/steam are absolutely crazy. almost to the point where I feel I'm living in a different world than others.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    There are a dozen or more other threads about this topic. There's no need for another one. Glad you're enjoying the game, though!

Thread closed.
This discussion has been closed.