Skip to content

Baldur's Gate: Immersion and Choices

Cynic2701Cynic2701 Member Posts: 1
The experiences that really drew me into the original Baldur's Gate materials were the really involving story and the immersive atmosphere and game play. I'll always remember the sound track and the nature sounds, and how hearing an enemy spellcaster start chanting something would always make my heart jump into my throat. It's these kind of experiences that make me fondly remember how immersive the original game was.

I have not played this DLC yet; I intend to once a patch is released to address the numerous bugs reported by players.

The first time I found the girdle of Masculinity/Femininity on the Ogre south of the Friendly Arm Inn was a really interesting moment--and I wish that (at least according to reports and not my first hand knowledge) a quest could be generated to get this item for this character. Yet, I also agree with many of the complaints - who, while not offended by the inclusion of transgendered characters, are offended by the apparently poor quality of the script writing or how this was presented in the game - that see this as an affront to the Baldur's Gate series.

Baldur's Gate has always been about the player's choices. You, as the player, can have your choice of Race, Class, Alignment, Ability Scores, Strategy, Sex, etc. The modding community is perhaps one of the best of any game, and there are a slew of incredible mods that add so much original content and additional functionality - including "non-standard" gender choices - that any inclusion of forced dialogue or decision making feels insulting to the community of people who love Baldur's Gate. I want to make a choice because I feel a vested interest in a particular outcome, because I want to make that choice in support of another character, or in support of a particular goal.

My favorite part of Baldur's Gate II was Edwina Odesseiron and I sort of wished that he/she could have a storyline wherein he stays as a she permanently. I think that Amber Scott and Beamdog really missed a great opportunity to create a transgendered character that I would really care about as a player. There are so many avenues that could have been explored that could give so much more depth to a character: why not make a new recruitable NPC with an engrossing storyline wherein you quest for a spell or item to change their physical sex characteristics? I'd love to play a game where I can help a character I care about--regardless of what that character's sex or gender is. That is the Baldur's Gate I remember from almost 20 years ago.

I hope that the community can gather together as a party before venturing forth.

Comments

• WesleyWesley Member Posts: 55
    These sorts of choices so far seem much more prevalent in the new expansion than they were in BG1, which is great. I'm in the middle of the main quest but it is clear that the replay value will be high, as there are many options to side with one faction over another, both in the main quest and in several of the side quests. In fact, some of these decisions are clearly setting up the resolution of plot holes that were left unfilled between BG1 and BG2, and anticipating the various factions of BG2.

I would add that you should begin playing the game now. You might not get this impression from these forums, but the game is stable and almost entirely bug-free! It's just that the presence of a bug is more newsworthy than its absence. Obviously there are more bugs now than there will be in one month's time, but one thing you will not want to miss is the experience of playing the game unspoiled. By the time a patch comes out, these forums will be full of details about traps, battles, encounters, and the game's ending. I for one am really enjoying being able to play the game without any metagame knowledge.

Good luck!
  • minsc4prezminsc4prez Member Posts: 105
    Wesley said:

I would add that you should begin playing the game now. You might not get this impression from these forums, but the game is stable and almost entirely bug-free

Good luck!

ehh, i'm not so sure on that. I've ran into quite a few odd bugs, item description not being what they should be, I even had a set of eleven chain mail description be "Hey wake up, it's me Imoen!"
    I agree i havent ran into anything game breaking yet, but there are quit a few bugs to be worked out and i've been told multiplayer does not work??
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the only bug i ran into was every single time i load a save story mode turns on. got that achievement by accident.
  • jimw884jimw884 Member Posts: 24

Wesley said:

I would add that you should begin playing the game now. You might not get this impression from these forums, but the game is stable and almost entirely bug-free

Good luck!

ehh, i'm not so sure on that. I've ran into quite a few odd bugs, item description not being what they should be, I even had a set of eleven chain mail description be "Hey wake up, it's me Imoen!"
    I agree i havent ran into anything game breaking yet, but there are quit a few bugs to be worked out and i've been told multiplayer does not work??
    Did you uninstall mods before playing? I still had NPC project installed the first time and whenever I clicked my character dialogue from a scene I presume occurs later on popped up in the chat box while my character remained silent. I uninstalled the mod and everything went back to normal. It's somewhat unfortunate to not have NPC project while playing, but then again that mod only covers vanilla BG anyway so it's not like the content in it would be in a newly released game anyway. Until it gets updated I plan on playing with it on till SoD then uninstalling it.
  • kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    You're missing out by not playing now, I tell you. I started playing BEFORE anything happened - there have been very few glitches, and have been playing for hours and hours without much trouble.

Nothing at all was "broken". Pillars of Eternity, when it came out, was 10-fold more buggy.

Anyways, I would suggest you put this polemic out of your mind and just try the game. It is really, really good.