Skip to content

Kickstarting BG3

oseasweroseaswer Member Posts: 7
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Well I'm sure you all know the success of Project Eternity on KS. They just recently hit their 1.6 million stretchgoal.

So, what about an actual KS for BG3? I'd Pay at least $100 just to be able to play a new Forgotten Realms game provided it retained its classic roots with the isometric view.

Some questions for you

1. Who owns the trademark and copyright for Baldur's Gate? Can Beamdog actually make BG3 or do they need a license from the trademark holder?

2. If there was a KS for BG3, how much would you pledge?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited September 2012
    1. I think with the Baldur's Gate series some of it is held by Atari (being wizards of the coast), and some of the trademarks/legal stuff are probably held by Bioware.

2. $0, because frankly looking at the limited options available in Project Eternity unless I saw the inclusion of at least as many classes as the BG/IWD/NWN series of games I would not provide any money for a BG3 game.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    1. Wizards of the Coast owns the rights to the Forgotten Realms setting, so any new game in that setting would have to go through them. The Infinity Engine belongs to Atari.

For both of these reasons, it's highly doubtful that a BG3 project would be able to use Kickstarter. There are legal issues with fundraising a corporate-sponsored project, which while possible to work around aren't necessarily worth it.

And for that matter, I'd really like to see a game in a new IP. Faerun is nice once in a while, but I would really love to see the team work on a new world so that they can be more or less autonomous.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Both WotC and Atari are subsidiaries of Hasbro, aren't they?

If there's going to be a BG3 I would think it will not use the Infinity engine, as the loss of the source artwork and beastly way it was originally coded make it easier fordevs to build a new engine from the ground up.

If I'm not mistaken a BG3 may indeed be made by Beamdog, if BG:EE and BG2:EE are both successful. No need for a kickstarter. They'll already be bankrolled.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    I'm not fond of kickstarters. It seems like everyone's trying to get in on the act these days.
    I like Kickstarter because of what it allows some small companies to do, and it lets ordinary people play the role of investor that is normally reserved for the companies and brokers with deep pockets.

There are a lot of really bad projects out there, and a lot of people who think they can get in on the action just because they've read the success stories. But that doesn't mean that the model doesn't work for some really great ideas.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    hey, BG1 EE is not yet ready, BG2 will be for end 2013.... give them the time to do good things with BG1 and 2 instead of starting a BG3
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    I'm pretty sure Atari doesn't hold any rights any more, I think thats why we've seen a resurgence in Baldur's Gate stuff as of late. Though, I keep be wrong. All this information is a Google search away, but I'm just sooooooo lazy..
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    A kickstarter is essentially an independent project, right? Which basically is not going to happen here if the name "Baldur's Gate" is going to be used--because that's owned by Wizards of the Coast. WotC is apparently already a partner in the development of the BG1 and BG2 Enhanced Editions. But I do think we'll see BG3 from Beamdog, under the aegis of WotC/Atari/Hasbro.
  • TreyolenTreyolen Member Posts: 235
    I would kick in for a project by this team named BG3. I doubt anyone owns the rights to "BG3" and all of the fans would know exactly what the title means. They could roll their own engine with mechanics similar enough for fans to easily pick up and start a new story about another child of a dead god. Sounds like a winner to me. BG3 2 would be funny!
    @Treyolen I think you're entering into MDK territory, there. ;)
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    It was said that if the BG:EE where sucesful they would do BG3... and seriously if they are sucesful, a Kickstarter would not be useful
  • GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2016

Post edited by GodKaiserHell on