Skip to content

Give the Imoen Variant on "A Book for Firebead" the original reward (Woo spoilers)

Ark_ToleiArk_Tolei Member Posts: 69
Observed behavior: "A Book for Firebead" rewards "History of the Unicorn Run" when Imoen turns in the quest

Expected behavior: "A Book for Firebead" rewards "History of the Dead Three" when Imoen turns in the quest

At first I thought this was a bug until, via troubleshooting, I figured out that Imoen was the only party member who can actually receive this quest, and through googling found that people had requested her added the list of people who can obtain it on the forums.

If the player uses Imoen to turn in "A Book for Firebead", the quest text alters slightly (claiming the book is more fantasy than history) and you receive "History of the Unicorn Run" instead of "History of the Dead Three". While I appreciate that Firebead is unlikely to give that book to Imoen to read herself (maybe?), it's important to remember that the entire reason he asks you to buy the book for him in the first place is to give you a heads up on your situation. First with the book he requests, and then with the book he gives you as reward.

He doesn't actually need a copy of "History of the Fateful Coin" he is asking for it so you look at it yourself, and his ominous reward is supplementary reading. It doesn't really make any sense for him to give Imoen a different book, since he's only asking her for the "favor" in the first place because she's traveling with the protagonist, or because he knows even more than we first thought.

This is even referenced in the title of the achievement you receive for completing the quest "Foreshadowing". I got that achievement with no actual foreshadowing happening, and I was really disappointed because I was streaming it and am always excited when new people get exposed to the foreshadowing and lore in the game.

Given that Imoen has 16 charisma she makes an obvious party leader/face of the party, and I'm afraid that quite a few new players might miss out on the joy of reading "History of the Dead Three" because they had their charming companion turn in quests. I would change the dialogue to something along the lines of "This is a bit dark for you, but charname might fight it interesting." Or...keep the exact same dialogue as charname gets, which I think would be awesome foreshadowing.

I like the idea behind why her variant was added, I just think in this case substituting a unique and plot relevant quest reward for a book you can buy in stores to be counter-intuitive.