Skip to content

The Real Problem With SoD

Hello friends. I hope you are all having a good time playing Baldur's Gate. I have created this thread to talk about a certain topic so I hope you can all be friendly fellows and keep on target.

Here is the skinny: I think the idea of the Shaman class is interesting and a new class is a great excuse for a new playthrough, which is something I think we all like to do. However I find the Shaman class a bit underwhelming and I was wondering if any of my forum pals had any suggestions to make the Shaman class more fun to play. This can either be within the framework of the game itself or with ideas for kits and such.

Personally I would like the option to play as a goblin, that would be pretty great.

Comments

• InsultionInsultion Member Posts: 179
    I've not played a Shaman, but are there kits for it?
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    There are not.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    I actually found the new shaman spells to be completely op. The writhing fog and the ball of doom seem super strong to me and the tanking capabilities of the spirits in corridors are very good.

I however think the class can be a bit underwhelming to play and the spirits suck pre 6 to me.

It would be more interesting imo if the class could do something while performing the shamanic dance (which could do with an animation). Being able to move and maybe perform special moves during the dance would be very interesting. (I'm thinking like, toggling the shamanic dance add a few special abilities that are like "move of the X" which could have some effects like bless or alike)

At least, being able to use items would be nice.

I haven't got to their HLA, does anyone know what they are?
  • ManBearPigManBearPig Member Posts: 34
    I have to disagree, at least in the context of SoD. I like the Shaman class. Maybe I just like having some new spells to try out. The spirit summons are so-so but used correctly they aren't bad as fodder. I do think that come BG2 and ToB that the Shaman will become much more underpowered.

I think the real underlying problem is that the druid spells in general are lacking. Especially at lower levels. I don't think anyone would contest that. And yes, I know that mods can change that. Adding in icewind dale druid spells changes things drastically.
    Here is a simple idea I have had friends: what if the Shaman had a special version of Find Familiar that let them get a spirit animal or something? That could be pretty cool.
  • cmk24cmk24 Member Posts: 605
    I found the shaman a bit slow to start off with, but around level 7 or 8 the summons become very useful since they span >50% of the time. I enjoy setting up ambushes with my summons, and using someone else (usually Minsc) to kite the enemies to my position.

Also the combo of entangle and withering fog make for good crowd control AoEs (they happen to be the same size, coincidence, I think not). Add in a few fireballs from a mage (also the same size) and not much can survive.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    edited April 2016
    Like most things in SoD (items, for example), I like the idea of the Shaman class, its concept. However, as you said, I find it weak (I'm a powergamer and old player though). I believe it's mainly because it uses Druid spells which are overall quite crappy. The dance itself has too high a failing rate and well, summons cannot be controlled.

So, this class, like the other kits Beamdog added to the various games, most of the new SoD items however cool they look, are not going to be part of my future games.
    I mean Bioware also had junk classes (Wizard Slayer comes to mind). It's just sad that for the sake of having a 'balanced' game you end up making useless content (I'm not talking, again, from a roleplaying point of view).

Now, I guess everything should be moddable. I don't know if the Shaman class is a 'true' class or a kit that looks like it. If not, we certainly can add kits to it, like we do for other classes.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    @Abel there is already an on going mod that would add kits to the Shaman class just an fyi.

Really, it's all about eth..just kidding, I won't bring it up here. Aaah fresh air :o inhale
  • woowoovoodoowoowoovoodoo Member Posts: 150
    I too think that Shaman is basically buff bot, but I don't think that it should be changed to being a Juggernaut of Doom. Buff bots are fine.
    This is really surprising to me.

Not sure if i'm playing it wrong or i'm just 1 step ahead.

I found Shaman very strong though not the strongest (nothing really beats archer and sorcerer at single target and aoe).
  • bradbrad Member Posts: 32
    No, the real issues are the awesome new UI layout and graphic scheme not being present in BG2:EE, and Tongue of Acid +3 not transferring to BG2:EE.
    brad said:

No, the real issues are the awesome new UI layout and graphic scheme not being present in BG2:EE, and Tongue of Acid +3 not transferring to BG2:EE.

A good point friend. I've been debating whether I should wait to do my BG2 run after finishing Dragonspear because I want that nice new UI.
    I've decided to wait for the BG2EE run, the new UI should be included in the next patch. I hope the voicepacks will be carried over as well, I don't want to give up on that David Warner voice pack.

Any information about that @Dee?
    David Warner voice pack will certainly make a BG2 playthrough interesting.

This is really surprising to me.

Not sure if i'm playing it wrong or i'm just 1 step ahead.

I found Shaman very strong though not the strongest (nothing really beats archer and sorcerer at single target and aoe).

Let's compare it with other divine casters. Clerics, druids and shamans all are capable of casting divine spells. Good. Check. Clerics can be decent fighters for some amount of time (while buffs like Righteous Magic and DUHM and stacked Boon of Lathander are on). Their multiclasses can be even more capable in melee. Druids can absorb damage in Greater Werewolf form, also, druids are quite strong summoners (Greater Summoning HLA). Druid kits provide a few unique possibilities (animals of Totemic Druid do come in mind).
    Shamans are not very capable in melee, they do not provide specific means to accelerate THAC0 and APR though they can provide some assistance from the range. Can't say anything about high-level Shamanic Dance, maybe they're becoming brilliant summoners later. For now they're just good enough, very reliable and diverse divine casters.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Well first, they have sorcerer style of casting which is very powerful in itself imo. They have access to exclusive spells that are very strong. The shaman exclusive spell has been one of the most used for me at every level but 1.
    Writhing fog is very good at low levels, though overtaken by the ball of doom(don't know the name sorry) at later levels.
    The mind clearing is very useful given the amount of mind affecting spells, it's only a level 3 spell after all.
    The ball of doom is well, druid version of fireball, a bit less damage, a save reduction as well.
    The lvl 5 spell is a raise dead, but you do not need to reserve spell slots for it in case you need it, so you can safely combine its use with Insect Plague and Ironskins, two druid specific spells that are very strong in my book. Level 5 is a bit overloaded as there also is chaotic commands but it's very convenient because shamans are the only divine class with a sorcerer like casting so they can dish out situational spells adapted to every situation.

I didn't reach the level 6 spells.

Besides, the summons were great at tanking imo though it made shaman not very interesting in the later fights where hitting allies isn't an option.(it makes usmmoning the best option for shaman imo)

Now as I said, early summons, before level 6, aren't worth using in my opinion, they die way faster than they spawn.

My shaman used a shortbow so it had good apr and an alright thaco for bg1 and like other non-fighter classes, it transitionned well into a backline supporting style from an secondary damage/supporting style in the early levels.
    For me the question is "how do they make tactical possibilities wider?" and the only satisfying answer that I see now is "via their sorcerer-like style of casting". It's good, and maybe it's even enough.
  • InsultionInsultion Member Posts: 179

There are not.

If I were a dog with laser beams on my friggin' head, I'd make kits designed around certain summon types. But I'm not a dog with friggin' laser beams on my friggin' head.
    Is there a skull mask that Shamans (Shaman?) can wear? If so why not?
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    The thing is though, with the summoning ability they work well in longer fights, where they can constantly be getting jiggy wit it, so in BG1 and 2 where fights don't generally last as long, they won't be as useful. I can totally see them working well in iwd though (also flavour-wise)
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540

Shamans (Shaman?)

Shamen.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Holy cow, real feedback! I found the Shaman a little underwhelming as well mainly because the player can literally do nothing with them while they are in summoning mode. I get the reasons for that, but it would be nice if we could maybe have some control over the spirits or something. The special ability summon felt adequately powerful, though.
    Purudaya said:

Holy cow, real feedback! I found the Shaman a little underwhelming as well mainly because the player can literally do nothing with them while they are in summoning mode. I get the reasons for that, but it would be nice if we could maybe have some control over the spirits or something. The special ability summon felt adequately powerful, though.

The bright side is - you can combine solo Shaman run with other activities (like work or speaking in forums). Just switch to game from time to time, pick up loot and move your artillery to a new position.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    I didn't mention that I play with LoB (and custom party). So I'm not saying Shaman isn't good. I think it's good enough, even better than some other classes. But for my needs, it's just subpar. Any combination of Fighter and Cleric or Mage will fare better and actually decrease fighting time without too much of a micro-management headache. But it'd be harder for any class to do better than those or Archers.

In any case, not being able to do anything while you dance is a huge drawback. I mean, with a simple, yet effective Sorcerer you can do everything: summon, attack, cast other spells.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    I think the focus of the discussion is too much on the summons, which are nice, while a lot of the real power lies in the spontaneous spellcasting.
  • TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265
    I actually thought the Shaman was really smart. They have added 4 new fighter classes, all interesting and viable and different from their standard counterpart, but their 2 caster classes really aren't neither of those things.

And that's the problem with casters, the spell system is very rigid, and tossing up a whole new spell casting system outside of divine and arcane is sure to upset a lot of players one way or another.

This time around however, the class is really interesting and really different, taking an old caster system and really switching it around, while adding a whole new interesting core ability.
  • nomadmercnomadmerc Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2016
    I would like to see shaman kits added that buff and correct certain aspects of the class. Secondly the dance has to go. It should be done as a stationary totem at the least instead of locking the character.

One kit for summon(s) spirit animals that can do damage, crowd control enemies, and buff allies.

One kit to expand spell selection that arcane spells.

One kit to expand upon possession, turning foes berserk, and a more varied curse selection.
  • DemonocratDemonocrat Member Posts: 9
    I'm going through BGEE right now with a Shaman, and I don't find it underpowered for the early levels - because I powergamed my character as a 19 Strength Half-Orc. Druid spells are okay, I'd say even better used with spontaneous casting, and their exclusive spells add much needed diversity to the druidic arsenal, making the class a decent battle supporter. When not casting, throwing 2 daggers a round for 8-11 damage puts the character on par with most fighters in damage dealing, and way above thieves and clerics - of course, that's on the race's inherent brokenness in the early parts of the game, not on the class. Even a low strength Shaman, though, wouldn't play much differently than a single-class Druid or Cleric.

The disappointing part of the class, right now, is the spirit summons. I understand reading this thread that they start becoming useful a little later (I'm only level 5), but so far they haven't proven very effective. The fact that they lock you out of your other combat roles is a big strike against them - if you were rooted, but could still cast or shoot (or either), it could prove useful (well, maybe too powerful), but right now, it's not great, other than reducing the micromanaging you have to do. I just hope it gets better.

I'm also really sad that they don't benefit from Wisdom nor Charisma, much like the Sorcerer. I get why, but it still feels weird that maxing all three physical stats is a better investment than putting points in intellectual ones for what is, after all, a single-class caster...

All in all, I think it's a great class, not powergamey (it seems far from Ranger/Cleric, Kensai-Mage, or Inquisitors), but providing interesting choices. Its weapon selection allows it to always be relevant - it can leverage high strength through thrown weapons, and has access to shortbows, keeping low strength shamans useful outside of casting. I get the feeling, playing it, that it wants to be weapon-based in the early levels (1-6), then spirit summoning based in the mid levels (7-12?) and then turn to almost full time casting, spamming insect plagues and the like. I haven't even seen their exclusive HLA, so maybe the epic levels turn things around.