Skip to content

Fresh Neutral/Evil Game. Need advice.

I'm coming back after a long break to try out the new UI and to pretty much replay a game I've largely forgotten but loved as a kid.

I was trying to think of a protagonist class to play, I usually like my characters to be up front. I dont like single classes in this game because they always feel weaker toward the middle of the game. So I thought of 3 choices

1. Human Swashbuckler13??/Fighter - This Combo will allow me to take a harder hitting NPC than Hexxat or Yoshi/Imoen for the open locks/find traps. Plus with the fighter dual, I'll combine the Swash kit bonuses fighter abilities. Only drawback is leather armor, not sure if I'll get pummeled later on in the game.

2. Multi Fighter/Mage - I like the idea of the F/M but it seems like a lot of micro managing to keep buffs up to stay alive. Not sure I want that hassle over the long haul. (kind of like driving manual transmission in stop and go traffic...?) (I also dont like the UI in this game to cast defensive spells as I feel they use them too liberally. I dont need Charm Person cast on goblins.) If I run with this then I have to run a thief of some sort :neutral:

3. Multi Fighter/Cleric - This is a nice combo but its I'm going to have Viconia and Jaheira casting heals. Not sure I need a 3rd Cleric...?

Also separate question: If I multiclass which stronghold do I get?

Comments

• FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    Might consider Fighter/Mage/Thief. They're pretty cool. I use it to scout -> backstab -> fight. With robe of vecna, most spell casts you use are nearly instant, so you won't be interrupted for most buffs. With high dex, ac=-3 is pretty easy to get prebuff. @bengoshi, turned me on to them. He's a pretty big advocate.

Another chance is single class blade. They get UAI, and enhanced bard song, which with defensive spin makes them nearly untouchable for most enemies. You may not be mowing down all the enemies, but you'll be putting yourself in danger so your party can hack them up without danger, i think they'd appreciate that.

I'm pretty sure that with multiclass, you get whatever stronghold related to the first quest you take.
  • nomadmercnomadmerc Member Posts: 48
    Fighter/mage if you want to duel class.
  • WanderingScholarWanderingScholar Member Posts: 17
    From a power perspective dueling a swash into a fighter doesn't seem to make much sense. You can't backstab with a swash plus you still have the slower thief thac0 progression along with weapon/armor limitations. Unless you're going to put points into setting traps then your swash duel will mostly just give you a nerfed fighter that can open locks and find traps. Swashbucklers really shine if kept single class. I would suggest either a multi fighter/thief or a berserker/thief duel at 9 or 13 (I usually duel at 9). Fighter/mages don't require as much micromanagement as you might think (just having stoneskin alone makes them great tanks). They are also one of the most powerful if not the most powerful class option in the game.

As for strongholds you will get offered both from each class but can only take 1.
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    As above poster said swash/fighter doesn't offer anything, so you should go for something else.

And clerics are really good, 3+ clerics are not a bad choice
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I like the swash/fighter. A cool thing you can do with him is max out detect illusions. You can use this even while wearing plate armor. This means that you go to lvl 10. This nets you: +3 AC, +2 THACO, +2 Damage and 100% detect illusions. You get yourself the best possible fighter in the game with those bonuses and a neat trick for getting through mage protections.

With that said, you will be losing out on HP because you are getting all those thief levels first. And until you get through the catacombs of Candlekeep you will be stuck at a plain 18 strength. Still, the loss of a few HPs is more than made up for with the bonuses above.

Look at it as a specialty fighter kit. This isn't a thief, it's a fighter who can see through illusions and who has traded some of his toughness for being able to better dodge blows/land solid hits.

----

Another idea is a berserker (9) dualed to cleric. Why? Well, because you get to focus on buffing yourself into a combat monster. Using your fighter levels, get ***** in flails and *** in dual wielding. Have the Flail of Ages in your main hand (beastly weapon, procs slow and does elemental damage) and the Defender of Easthaven in your offhand (20% physical resist, +1 AC).

This goes along great with being a cleric, as Armor of Faith increases your physical resist from 20%-45%. Really not bad! Then you get to start stacking more bonuses. It could be alot of fun to go for a very offensive, in your face warrior cleric.

As you are going neutral evil, you can see this as your Bhaalspawn direclty tapping into his dead father's powers.