Skip to content

Buy/Create own stronghold!

HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Hoping that we could in BG III buy a festering piece of land, have some bunch of rednecks drain it and make it buildable and good farm land, while the party defends them from all kinds of enemies.
Then go about the land expanding my coming empire.

- get regulars guards (cannon fodder)
- get high lvl merc to help in high threat crisis.
- attract special heroes like wizards that can have some tower/libary/lab to pass their time in.

Comments

• MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    Sounds like a plan.

Er wait, I think that game has already been made...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stronghold_3
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It's also #everytowerdefensegameever. :)

Isn't this kind of like the de'Arnise Keep in...oh, I miscounted the I's. You want this for BG3, not BG1 or 2.

I don't know how I feel about this level of micromanagement for a stronghold. It sounds like an entire game unto itself. A fun game, admittedly, but an entirely different one.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    @Aosaw: Taking on additional responsiblities can be quite entertaining and refreshing, I'm all for the idea. As long as you don't have to place the walls yourself, or negotiate the salary for individual guards I don't think it's inconvenient and adds an interesting new dimension.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I would be against it if it had to be constantly maintained throughout the game. If it's the sort of thing where you can return there periodically to "help out", then it becomes a kind of side-quest, which I like. I wouldn't want it to be something that I'm always worrying, "Do I need more soldiers in my castle?" while I'm battling my way through a dungeon.
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    Miloch said:

Sounds like a plan.

Er wait, I think that game has already been made...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stronghold_3

No? Where's all the mage classes and excessive spells? Where is all the disarm traps? ..etc ..etc!

Aosaw said:

I would be against it if it had to be constantly maintained throughout the game. If it's the sort of thing where you can return there periodically to "help out", then it becomes a kind of side-quest, which I like. I wouldn't want it to be something that I'm always worrying, "Do I need more soldiers in my castle?" while I'm battling my way through a dungeon.

I don't intend it to be high maintaince feature, like every minute make a new decition, but mere every 3h of gameplay, where you just make a few clicks here and there, and nothing to really burden ones head with big morals choises.

It's a background feature allowing you to focus on going on adventure.

• MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    HexHammer said:

No? Where's all the mage classes and excessive spells? Where is all the disarm traps? ..etc ..etc!

Oh sorry, maybe it was this one I was thinking of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_Empires

Great game btw.

The problem with using the Infinity Engine for this concept is that it can't really dynamically build areas or respond to player input to do so. So they'd all have to be pre-built strongholds that you can't change much structurally. I do like the idea though.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    NwN2 had something like this. One of my favorite parts of that game.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    I dont like the sound of this, it would feel strange in this game in my opinion, the game isnt about settling down, or being a land owner, its about adventuring and being a bhaal spawn.
  • KhamillKhamill Member Posts: 226
    @HexHammer Heh..Dont forget that you would have to breed ankhegs and feed them regularly in order to collect their valuable goo which you can trade later for more rednecks who have to look after ankhegs...
    Majoca said:

I dont like the sound of this, it would feel strange in this game in my opinion, the game isnt about settling down, or being a land owner, its about adventuring and being a bhaal spawn.

That's why we can have strongholds in BG II? Besides the idea isn't mainly on strongholds, but a mere minor feature where the main focus is on adventuring, then one can insult other lords and one can egange in sieges etc, I miss a bit of large scale fights.

Besides it would be a nice place to have all my throphies hanging of them thingies I've been busy slaying.

Khamill said:

@HexHammer Heh..Dont forget that you would have to breed ankhegs and feed them regularly in order to collect their valuable goo which you can trade later for more rednecks who have to look after ankhegs...

Heard that gnoes are the best fodder, dwarfs are too tough to chew. Would imagine that evil alignment would be nessesary for such kind of farm, maybe true neutral players can breed unicorns and good alignment griffins? ..heck I'm not wise in the DnD ways.