Skip to content

Why I Dislike the Agendas with Dragonspear

AureolAureol Member Posts: 53
I felt that, though this would add another thread, this is warranted as many people are assuming that it is only because of transphobia, etc., that many do not like the agenda associated with Dragonspear. I felt I needed to present from another angle and mention that why I will not be buying Dragonspear is not because of Mizhena or anything else in Dragonspear but because of the Beamdog staff.

I will write this post in a civil manner, and I will reply to civil comments for the first while, but if this becomes some sort of attack thread, I reserve my right to leave the conversation.

I bought both Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition games. I bought them with full knowledge of LGBT characters; though not my thing, the introduction of characters like Dorn made sense and fit for the most part in the Forgotten Realms. All BGEE characters have a fan-fiction feel to them, so I personally don't like having them in my party, but this applies to all BGEE characters (I've had each in my party, but none really clicked; I've never really enjoyed mod NPCs either).

I hope I have sufficiently demonstrated that the introduction of a transsexual character alone would not deter me from buying Dragonspear. If not, I'm not sure what more I can say.

I get Beamdog's desire for different diversity (I won't say more diversity; I'll get to that in a bit). Times are changing, and values are changing with them. I was initially disappointed to hear about the agendas introduced in this game, especially Mizhena, and I admit I got caught up in the wave of criticism over it.

Then I read Mizhena's dialogue, and I realized that Mizhena was little more than a bratty Tumblr teenager, so I could forgive it. It was offensive that Beamdog was breaking immersion to teach me world politics, but the writing was so poor I could laugh it off. It ended up being more funny than anything. However, Beamdog killed my support in their treatment of the community.

I don't know much about this GamerGate group, but from what I understand, they are a despicable lot. But Amber Scott has proven herself to be nearly their level (I won't speak for the rest of the staff, as I have not seen as many comments from them, so I won't comment on anyone but Scott). I have seen disturbing comments from her that show she has little regard for the spirit of Baldur's Gate and what Dungeons and Dragons is about.

In what universe is saying, "If people don't like that, that's too bad," appropriate? If Baldur's Gate was her creation, sure, she should be able to defend her property. But what Scott seems to have forgotten is that Baldur's Gate I and II are NOT her works, and she has an obligation to keep to the original spirit. By writing what is essentially SJW fan-fiction and forcing it into an otherwise-timeless classic is an affront to the very nature of Dungeons and Dragons, that being she is telling other people that they have to roleplay how she wants. She is also essentially telling anyone who dislikes her agenda to get out, sending them away with a middle finger.

She has openly declared that she is taking the parts of Baldur's Gate she disagrees with to make it in line with her beliefs; if this was a mod or fan-fiction, this would be appropriate, but for a product claiming to be an official bridge, this is offensive. If you don't like the original spirit of the games for being "sexist" or non-inclusive, then go make your own game. How dare you take it on yourself to warp the BG series to your beliefs. You are an affront to roleplaying everywhere, Scott.

Dragonspear has utterly annihilated the spirit of Baldur's Gate, the spirit of roleplaying how one wants in any way, shape or form. I appreciate what they brought to the table in the Enhanced Editions, but I feel my time with Beamdog ends here. I am deeply sorry for this, but Scott probably doesn't care; she probably doesn't need my straight cis white money anyways. I wouldn't be surprised if she personally responded with something to the effect of I can shove my $20 up my rear. Ironically, in trying to be inclusive of certain types, Scott has basically stated she wants to exclude others from this franchise. It is also ironic that Scott stated she didn't like things in the original, so she changed it, but she's telling everyone else to suck it if they don't like what she wrote.

So, there you have it. Maybe most people hating this game are transphobes, but I want each of you to know that it is because Amber is a hateful person that I won't be buying the game.

TL;DR I am boycotting the game because Amber Scott is hateful and bastardizing the Baldur's Gate series to be her SJW flagship; I don't give a damn about Dorn, Mizhena, or anyone else.

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    We don't need another thread about this.

Also, please take up yoga.
  • TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265
    Yeah, no, a dozen threads or so are enough.
  • craymond727craymond727 Member Posts: 208
    edited April 2016
    First off, have you played the game?

And I can't say I know Amber personally, but in all instances where I've seen her on either the forums, the Beamblog, or in the SoD livestreams, she has been nothing but positive, pleasant, and a genuine fan of the Baldur's Gate series. Your vitriol is unwarranted and out of place.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Tenrecc said:

Yeah, no, a dozen threads or so are enough.

More than enough, really.

Thread closed.
This discussion has been closed.