Skip to content

Running BGII EE On Mac OS X 10.7.5

ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64
edited April 2016 in Feature Requests
Hello there.

Maybe this is a kind of feature asked, fell free to tell so I can move the post to the features requests.

Here is the thing.

I own all IWD EE,BG EE and BGII EE.

I have an old trusty MacBook 2007 (the white one) with 3GB RAM, Core2Duo and Intel Integrated GPU with 100% support of OpenGL 2.0 and Mac OS X 10.7.5 (latest there is for my mac).
OpenGL 2.0 has been tested with OpenGL extensions viewer with success.

While I have no problems running BG EE and IWD EE, BGII EE needs 10.8, thus, it won't run on the laptop.

If IWD is using BGII EE engine (??), and my Mac OS X and GPU fully supports OpenGL 2.0 I see no reason why I should not be able to run BGII EE.

Yes I know support needs to worry only for the latest , and not for the EOL operating systems ,
BUT:

1) The installer does not check for the OS version, letting you waste the 2GB download (yes I know is stated on the web, the min req.). I would add this check so it tells prior to the download, you OS version is too low.

2) I WOULDN'T MIND JUST AN ADVICE OR POPUP SAYING THAT IT WILL RUN AT MY OWN RISK, WITH NO SUPPORT ON 10.7.5 :smiley:.

I like a lot switching bet. all the 3 games at toy around, test stuff, etc.

I know you must compile a new release to target 10.7, but is there any reason (besides support) not to allow it ?

Right know, I cannot run BGII EE on the same laptop.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Post edited by ibitato on

Comments

• ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64
    edited April 2016
    If someone is in the same situation, wanting to play BGII on an old mac on 10.7.5, there is a way to install 10.8.4 on the old macs, if you purchase 10.8 on the App Store.

I just did.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ibitatoibitato Member Posts: 64

* For funsies, spend an hour trying to find a way to do anything like that on Windows. :wink:

I did use the method you described , but the final result was a slower system, and BGII EE crashed to no avail.......

At the end of the day, I installed a WIN 7 lisence I have sitting around on Boot Camp, updated the Intel GMA x3100 drivers, and downloaded all 3 games to the bootcamp partition.

I also installed 10.7.5 again.