Skip to content

Should bg favor new features and modifications (mods) ?

NouserNouser Member Posts: 53
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
The Baldurs gate series received a series of excellent mods through these years (example: npc character dialogues, more monster variety , etc) . Do you guys think that the game should facilitate or make possible the acess to these mods via in-game content or (alternatively) maybe through optional add-ons ?

Having the biggest changes being added alternatively through mod packs with corrected compability issues and easier installation in comparison with the non-enhanced bg trilogy/tutu series would be perfect.

NOTE: option 1 recognizes new changes in the vanilla enhanced ,but also the potential of having optional add-ons. for the greater modifications.

1. Should bg favor new features and modifications (mods) ?28 votes
    1. Yes,the more complete the game is,the better.
      71.43%
    2. Yes. But unfortunately it is only possible if its through optional add-ons.
      21.43%
    3. No,the game does not need new features.
        7.14%
Post edited by Nouser on

Comments

• NouserNouser Member Posts: 53
    edited September 2012
    Im gonna repost some of the best mods. And suggest again which could potentially be new great modifications.

I dont know if all these changes can be implemented (directly or through optional add-ons). But seriously,the game needs them desperatedly. Without them,the enhanced edition will be too much like the original the game. So,what will be the point of having something almost identical to vanilla? At least lets hope some of them can be in the new game.

Having the biggest changes being added alternatively through mod packs with corrected compability issues and easier installation in comparison with the non-enhanced bg trilogy/tutu series would be perfect.

1-alignment change (repost)

There is already a mod (virtue mod) that changes your alignment from good to bad in accordance with your actions. http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=107&Itemid=82/

It would also be great if a change from chaotic/lawful could be executed (like in planescape) .As unfortunately,the virtue mod does not allow it.

2-Main character dialogue change in accordance with intellectual habilities and charisma.

This was done in neverwinter. Do you guys think it could be done in bg?

3-Some creature variety would be nice. Nothing that would change the animations from bg.But some orcs and goblins along with the regular hobgoblins of swordcoast would make a differnce from the past versions.

I wonder if creatures from icewind and planescape could be added too using infinite animations (from erephine) ?
    Why not putting torment or icewind creatures ,maybe even some magic and sound? Since beamdog has the rights from them we could add whole new contents to the baldurs gate series.

I believe erephine has mods that enable even animations from neverwinter to be in the game right?

4-VERY IMPORTANT: The tutu/trilogy character banters (to all characters) should be urgentely added within the enhanced edition! that is fundamental. Alternatively the mods should be made very easy to install off-enhanced edition. These also include romances with characters like dynaheir,branwen and shar-tell. And character quests.

5-The best mods that were added in bg tutu/trilogy (example:mods that add extra quests and unfinished business) should be of easy installation.Or should be in the enhanced edition.

6-it is good that the erephine model customization mod is added. No complains there,but will the bg1 animations coexist with the ones from bg2 or you will have to choose between them?

7- extra creatures could also potentially lead to extra quests and itens (properly balanced) involving them.

8- shadowkeeper cheats need to be compatible with enhanced edition.
    Post edited by Nouser on
    edited September 2012
    Im also reposting the suggestion of miloch.

"Putting all those mods into BG:EE is probably not going to be done. Some (like 1PP) already are in though. Others might be good optional add-ons provided with the game and installed via a custom menu in the same way they do it with some games like the Civilization series etc."

My view is that some modifications can be applyed to the "vanilla" enhanced edition,but the major ones possibly may need to just be optional add-ons. With the installation being favored by mod packs or something like that.

Alignment change is one that can be added in the non-modded enhanced edition,new monster variety maybe will need to be a separate option.
  • ChrisYuiChrisYui Member Posts: 94
    Maybe I don't understand what you're asking for, but.. Isn't this one of the main advantages of BG EE? That it will be very easy to mod, and easy for users to use mods? Provided that the existing author of the mod will edit it for BG EE.
    edited September 2012
    Thats what i expect. Some new in-game features (like alignment change) plus much easier mod installation and creation in comparison to non-enhanced tutu/trilogy.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    The more the dev team tries to do, the more issues pop up. We are already in a 2 1/2 month delay because of trouble in implementing existing changes. If Overhaul were to integrate the mods you mentioned (most if not all of which they are forbidden to do because of the EE contract) it would take several months more at least.

This is not the Baldur's Gate 'Complete' Edition, nor was it ever advertised as such, despite what some here want desperately to believe. The best we can hope for is that it will have a less buggy base game to start from and then more easily add on mods from there.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I hope people know that mod=unnoficial content (i believe that's what the thread maker intented).
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    More new feature is always better for the game,

But if thoese features break the balance or even it's not really useful for gameplay , i would rather no have them

If Overhaul will add new features into the game , they must consider all of element is getting better or bad

Because offical path is different with 3rd mod , if it doesn't consider well , sometime it will ruin the total gameplay
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    I'm with @kilroy_was_here. The BG series was my favourite game ever. I loved it, I played BG2 at least 5 times, BG twice and since the announcement there's no day which goes by without me checking the forums here.
    It was a great game as it was. That's a fact. Sure, there were bugs, inconvenient things and stuff, but we still loved it the way Bioware made it. Enhanced edition will fix some of these annoying problems and give us just enough new content so that even if you have played the game over and over many times, you will still want to give it a couple more runs.
    BUT! What's going to happen if we load the game with lots of new features? Maybe they will be good. Maybe they will take away the hard work of organising your inventory. But maybe some of them just won't fit in the original games image. Maybe you won't like it. And most likely: it will change the game just so, that it won't be the same BG that we used to love. That's my biggest fear with all the new content for the game...

Plus, yeah, there's the immense amount of delay it would involve... And I want to play! :)