Skip to content

Happy Hobbit Day

AviiAvii Member Posts: 34
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Hello Everyone,

Since tomorrow is the birthday of the illustrious Bilbo Baggins and the Ringbearer Frodo Baggins, I think we all here should take a moment and to reflect on our love of our halfing brethren. I love the lil guys for their care free attitude and their never ending sense of adventure. Also they make great thieves cause Brandobaris help us if we tried to send Minsc to do the sneaky work...
Post edited by Avii on

Comments

• AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    I have hairy feet.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Happens to be the first day of fall, too. Happy Hobbit Day! Here's looking forward to an unexpected adventure. DesiSmileys.com
  • diggerbdiggerb Member Posts: 132
    Consider, if you will, the impact that J.R.R. Tolkien has had on the entire Fantasy genre - if he didn't create it single-handedly, he certainly was the premiere contributor. I really don't believe that D&D, and therefore Forgotten Realms, and therefore Baldur's Gate, would ever have come into existence without Tolkien's epic work.
  • diggerb said:

Consider, if you will, the impact that J.R.R. Tolkien has had on the entire Fantasy genre - if he didn't create it single-handedly, he certainly was the premiere contributor. I really don't believe that D&D, and therefore Forgotten Realms, and therefore Baldur's Gate, would ever have come into existence without Tolkien's epic work.

<.< Not trying to be a prat...but just wanted to point out your ordering, that the forgotten realms have existed long before D&D has.
    Ed Greenwood says that he first dreamt up the Forgotten Realms when he was 8, which was 1967. Gary Gygax first published D&D in 1974.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Here's to A Hobbit's Holiday, best travel memoir ever written.

<.< Not trying to be a prat...but just wanted to point out your ordering, that the forgotten realms have existed long before D&D has.</p>

I'd not heard that before, wikipedia agrees though, is this just a little known fact? or does everyone know.

Come to think of it, if it weren't for D&D I just don't know if forgotten realms would ever have become known to the public at large.
  • Come to think of it, if it weren't for D&D I just don't know if forgotten realms would ever have become known to the public at large.

This is true, it was first published after AD&D was released, Ed greenwood simply never had the oppertunity to have any of it published before then.

<.< Ok I lied, I was trying to be a prat.
    I'm grateful I love this kind of pointless information :D
    edited September 2012
    Ed Greenwood certainly was a precocious youngster to begin writing stories that envisioned even a seminal fantasy setting at the tender age of 8. Only 7 years later Gary Gygax published D&D at the age of 36.

Ed discovered D&D when he was 16 in 1975, but really didn't start getting heavily into it until 1978. He published a series of articles about the Realms in Dragon magazine in 1979. In 1987 he published the first FRCS with Jeff Grubb of TSR.
  • diggerbdiggerb Member Posts: 132

<.< Not trying to be a prat...but just wanted to point out your ordering, that the forgotten realms have existed long before D&D has.</p>

This has come as news to me. I like learning new things!

However, I highly suspect that Ed Greenwood had read (or at least seen the animated version of) The Hobbit, if not the entire LOTR cycle, prior to envisioning the Forgotten Realms.
    edited September 2012
    The Hobbit and LotR trilogy *books* were already out! The Hobbit was published in 1937. The first book of the LotR trilogy was published in 1954. Those books caused quite a sensation in the 60's during the cultural revolution, as they struck a deep chord with the so-called "hippy" generation. Believe you me, those books were all the rage when Ed was a child and teenager.

Ed minimizes Tolkien's influence on him. Which I think is silly. He even says he isn't fond of Tolkien.

But anyway, there's no denying that Ed Greenwood developed an amazing world in the Forgotten Realms. And that's all that matters, really.