Skip to content

Immortal Dread Wolves in Bloodbark Grove

I have encountred several Dread wolves here however they only ever stay "near death" - Like a Troll any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Hello friend. I also encountered some trouble with these fellows and even searched for a wiki in case there was some way to defeat dread wolves I was not aware of. I didn't discover anything but I tried fire, in the manner of defeating trolls and that seemed to work.
  • DreisDreis Member Posts: 34
    Thankyou so very much.
  • cloudkillbeatsallcloudkillbeatsall Member Posts: 98
    Only acid, fire, or total dismemberment will inflict permanent damage. From the monster manual. A nice touch from Beamdog, I feel, to add that bit of detail to a creature.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    It got me too when I first played SoD. So you aren't alone :)
  • DreisDreis Member Posts: 34
    Thank you once again had me stumped there for a bit
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    For me, fire didn't work, only acid. Nasty surprise rule change.

Did you use Fire Arrows and Acid Arrows? The former require a save to inflict the non-physical damage whereas the latter do not.
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    When it doesn't die, always cover it in acid and set on fire. Never failed me. ^_^
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    I was really happy to see Dread Wolves upgraded to their true 2nd edition version. They also cause a wasting disease and regenerate HPs, making them much more powerful than their earlier, nerfed version in BG.
  • IthualIthual Member Posts: 136
    Does this change also effect BG1? I'd like that.

Did you use Fire Arrows and Acid Arrows? The former require a save to inflict the non-physical damage whereas the latter do not.
    I used Burning Earth. Not sure why it wasn't working, unless I had switched to another sword without paying attention, but that's really unlikely.
  • TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    edited April 2016
    Terrible design decision, IMHO.

Enemies in video games should never has 100% immunity to a damage type. I'm of the persuasion that Baldur's Gate trolls should have been streamlined and given 80% resistance to all types of damage not acid or fire. Resilient and tough, yes, but not unkillable. The way it stands, one needs to metagame the content and pack fire/acid arrows and spells in order to clear it.

Terrible, terrible design, not just on Beamdog's, but Bioware's part as well.

Absolutes are never a good thing. Not in real life, nor in video games.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297

Enemies in video games should never has 100% immunity to a damage type. I'm of the persuasion that Baldur's Gate trolls should have been streamlined and given 80% resistance to all types of damage not acid or fire. Resilient and tough, yes, but not unkillable. The way it stands, one needs to metagame the content and pack fire/acid arrows and spells in order to clear it.

This isn't an MMO and I like absolute immunities on monsters - including for example, the golems, some of the jellies/slimes, trolls, mages with the correct short-term protections and so on.

As for metagaming, you can always run away. Why should the party win every encounter.

It is also true to D&D.
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637

You only need fire or acid to finish them off and you're warned pretty heavily about it, also you should always have some fire available, what kind of adventurer has no access to fire?

You only need fire or acid to finish them off and you're warned pretty heavily about it, also you should always have some fire available, what kind of adventurer has no access to fire?

Which makes their failure to apprise us of this rule change with the dread wolves all the more glaring, of course.

Which makes their failure to apprise us of this rule change with the dread wolves all the more glaring, of course.

Maybe they could bring back the tips that there used to be in the SoA loading screens but since there are no tips in the loading screen, put it in the dialogue box instead.