Skip to content

Stats of the new Characters

MikaalMikaal Member Posts: 15
edited September 2012 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
Does anybody got an idea for the stats of the new characters Neera, Rasaad and Dorn?

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    All of Rasaad's abilities are prime numbers.
    Dorn has a Strength of 17/99.
    Neera has no Charisma score.

:)
    Sadly, nothing has been revealed regarding their stats.
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Aosaw said:

All of Rasaad's abilities are prime numbers.
    Dorn has a Strength of 17/99.
    Neera has no Charisma score.

:)
    Sadly, nothing has been revealed regarding their stats.

Do you mean 18/99? Wow, they gave the only half orc NPC in the game less than 19 strength? That sucks.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    He's joking. :) Their stats haven't been released.
    Lemernis said:

He's joking. :) Their stats haven't been released.

Incidentally, I think people will be pleased.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Alright. We've had some insightful discussions about the alignments for the new NPCs, so it only seems appropriate to move on to stats.

My predictions:
    Rasaad - Str 17, Dex 17, Con 16, Int 11, Wis 17, Cha 10 (a nod to 1st ed. AD&D monk stats)
    Neera - Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 18, Wis 7, Cha 16 (low Wisdom seems to fit her)
    Dorn - Str 19, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 9, Wis 14, Cha 6 (his mother did say he was ugly and not too bright; 14 Wis because he seems to have cunning; being the only half-orc NCP, he HAS to have 19 Str)
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    @Mortianna: Blackguards are a Paladin kit. He'll have to have 17 minimum charisma as a result.

But then again, they fudge around whatever they want to make NPCs a little different so we'll see.

I feel there's no point in speculation so I'm not going to waste my time predicting anything.
    @sandmanCCL Suit yourself. I thought Half-Orcs had a -2 penalty to charisma, which would disqualify them for the Paladin class. Of course, with 4+ editions of rules out there now, anything's possible. Is it confirmed that the Blackguard is a Paladin kit?
    Half-Orcs get a -2 penalty to Intelligence, not Charisma.

And yes, the Blackguard is a paladin kit.
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    Half-Orcs in 2nd Edition rules get +1 Str, +1 Con and -2 Cha according to the Complete Book of Humanoids. Doubt that means much, though. I think the devs are just doing whatever they want regarding Dorn.

My NPC stat estimates:
    Dorn: Str 18/51+, Dex 15, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 14
    Neera: Str 9, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 8, Cha 13
    Rasaad: Str 14, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 11, Wis 18, Cha 13

I'd be surprised if Dorn doesn't have 18+ Str and Neera has less than 16 Con. Those are the two stats I'd bet money on (but won't). ;)
    Half-Orcs don't exactly follow the AD&D rules as far as their racial traits go. In BG, their penalty is to intelligence.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    It's not like all the other NPCs follow the rules (e.g. Coran).
    Technically every NPC except for just a handful have something special about them you can't do on your PC, and this goes for both games.

Because it's a much shorter list, the number of NPCs with no unique attributes to them:
    Imoen
    Khalid
    Ajantis
    Kivan
    Jaheira (edit: she gets a resurrection spell in BG2, something druids normally don't get)
    Skie
    Xzar
    Montaron
    Shar-Teel

Notice that the majority of this list are characters often considered extremely good due to high stats.

In BG2, you have Korgan. You might also consider Keldorn, Valygar and Anomen in this category as all they get are bonus equipment. (edit: Anomen is an illegal dual-class due to stats.)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012
    Agree with @sandmanCCL, Blackguard = Paladin = minimum 17 Charisma. In Baldur's Gate II, Half-Orcs got +1 Strength, +1 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -1 Charisma. He can still be that.

And it was stated in the AMAA that Blackguard is human-only as it is paladin, but "Dorn is speshul."

I also agree with the prediction that Dorn will have a 19 Strength. I consider that highly likely, being as he is the only half-orc and they will probably want to show that off. Constitution, who knows, but probably high. It could be a 19 as well but I really doubt it. All of the BG1 fighters were very well balanced with one another, always lacking in some shape and form, and to give Dorn a 19 Strength and 19 Constitution would be ridiculous and unbalancing. You can say, "well make his Dexterity crap then!" But let's be honest. Gauntlets of Dexterity.

My guess, although not worth much, is:
    19 Strength - 12 Dexterity - 15 Constitution - Intelligence 10 - Wisdom 14 - Charisma 17

This would make him comparable to Ajantis, except more strong and less healthy.
    @sandmanCCL and @Quartz *clicks through her pdf library* 1st edition's Anti-Paladin (from Dragon Magazine #39) had a special rule about Charisma. He or she could have a Charisma of either 17 or more ("devilishly handsome), giving them the ability to Charm, or 4 or less ("sinfully ugly"), enabling them to Cause Fear. Since Dorn is indeed "speshul," they'll likely do whatever they want with him. Fine by me. It would be a nice surprise if they gave him a 4 or a 3 though. It seems he'd be more likely to cause a crowd to make way for his path than to follow him.
    Mortianna said:

@sandmanCCL and @Quartz *clicks through her pdf library* 1st edition's Anti-Paladin (from Dragon Magazine #39) had a special rule about Charisma. He or she could have a Charisma of either 17 or more ("devilishly handsome), giving them the ability to Charm, or 4 or less ("sinfully ugly"), enabling them to Cause Fear. Since Dorn is indeed "speshul," they'll likely do whatever they want with him. Fine by me. It would be a nice surprise if they gave him a 4 or a 3 though. It seems he'd be more likely to cause a crowd to make way for his path than to follow him.

See, I just don't see where in the story, or in the voice files we've gotten, or (least importantly) by his appearance in pictures how exactly he could have a low Charisma. I just don't see it, sorry.

Now the point you could make, is, "well he was 12 then ... he's going to have changed a lot" which is quite true. So it could go either way really; he could become more influential, or more arrogant and annoying.

He sounds smart for a half-orc, which is a stereotype breaker from the get-go, which makes people already think higher of him. I really, seriously doubt he's going to have a bad charisma.

And then, from a game balance stand point, very few evil characters in BG have a good charisma ... in fact, most of them have pretty mediocre charismas with the exception of Eldoth.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    We have an elf with 20 dex, a dwarf with 20 con, make way Minsc, our half orc is going to have 20 str.

You heard it hear first though
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Dunno about you guys and gals, but as a straight guy in love with his GF, I find Dorn to be pretty damn handsome for a half orc. Besides, his mother told people that he was ugly as a teenage half-orc! (he might have had a single eyebrow back then!)

As for Half Orcs, their max stats in BG are simple : 19, 18, 19, 16, 18, 18, so yeah, his kit isn't illegal ;)

... well, aside from the fact that he's no human. Whoops, his kit *is* kinda illegal XD
    I wonder if they are going to pull a BG1 Jaheira/Minsc/Viconia on us and make them have good but still kinda underwhelming stats in BG1 and then making the iterations of Dorn, Rasaad and Neera have magically better abilities in BG2.

We have an elf with 20 dex, a dwarf with 20 con, make way Minsc, our half orc is going to have 20 str.

You heard it hear first though

I would really dig it, and you are quite right in that it would make sense with the rest of the characters.

However, BGII ran away from such cheats by axing Coran and flat-out replacing Kagain. Beamdog gives me the feeling that they are bigger fans of BGII to be honest and I kind of suspect they will add BGII elements instead of staying true to the BG1 atmosphere. (Which will be a failing in my eyes, but I'm still totally excited for the project of course.)

I wonder if they are going to pull a BG1 Jaheira/Minsc/Viconia on us and make them have good but still kinda underwhelming stats in BG1 and then making the iterations of Dorn, Rasaad and Neera have magically better abilities in BG2.

I hope so, actually. I would like that.

Dunno about you guys and gals, but as a straight guy in love with his GF, I find Dorn to be pretty damn handsome for a half orc. Besides, his mother told people that he was ugly as a teenage half-orc! (he might have had a single eyebrow back then!)

I agree he is "pretty damn handsome for a half orc." His picture is actually fairly handsome. All the more reason it's my avatar. :P
    Quartz said:

See, I just don't see where in the story, or in the voice files we've gotten, or (least importantly) by his appearance in pictures how exactly he could have a low Charisma. I just don't see it, sorry.

Now the point you could make, is, "well he was 12 then ... he's going to have changed a lot" which is quite true. So it could go either way really; he could become more influential, or more arrogant and annoying.

He sounds smart for a half-orc, which is a stereotype breaker from the get-go, which makes people already think higher of him. I really, seriously doubt he's going to have a bad charisma.

And then, from a game balance stand point, very few evil characters in BG have a good charisma ... in fact, most of them have pretty mediocre charismas with the exception of Eldoth.

Good points. Appearance/Comeliness is so subjective anyway that it would be impossible to combine with a character's force of personality into a representative Charisma score. Does a stunningly attractive human with the personal magnetism of a Troglodyte even out with about a 10 Charisma? Is a dwarf with 16 Charisma just as attractive as an elf with 16 Charisma? It seems best to confine Charisma to force of personality and leadership ability alone and let beauty be in eye of the beholder (no pun intended).

Even though his mother said Dorn had "his father's brains as well as his looks" at 12, he may have changed a lot since then, as you said. Whatever the case, I'm sure it'll all make sense once we finally get to see his stats and have him join our parties.

Mortianna said:

Quartz said:

Good points. Appearance/Comeliness is so subjective anyway that it would be impossible to combine with a character's force of personality into a representative Charisma score. Does a stunningly attractive human with the personal magnetism of a Troglodyte even out with about a 10 Charisma? Is a dwarf with 16 Charisma just as attractive as an elf with 16 Charisma? It seems best to confine Charisma to force of personality and leadership ability alone and let beauty be in eye of the beholder (no pun intended).

Even though his mother said Dorn had "his father's brains as well as his looks" at 12, he may have changed a lot since then, as you said. Whatever the case, I'm sure it'll all make sense once we finally get to see his stats and have him join our parties.

Charisma truly is one of the most difficult stats to calculate. I tend to like to edge towards it just being "force of personality," but I mean look at Safana. She's got a 17 because she can sweet-talk her way through everything, because she's physically and vocally attractive. So, it's tough.

(Fun note: I find this hilarious, Safana is pushed as being the "hottie" in Baldur's Gate, and judging from her portrait she has literally an identical jaw line to my mother. That's awkward hahaha)

I'm going to explain one point I made further, for no particular reason:
    As I said, only evil character with a good charisma is Eldoth ... Viconia isn't bad either. Overhaul keeps saying "evil parties will LOVE Dorn," well this would be yet another reason. Finally a leader to put at the front lines who's a fighter and charismatic. Good for role-playing, and I know there's great debate over such things but really from what I've noticed, you put someone with a high charisma at the front slot and party members almost never come to blows.
  • MikaalMikaal Member Posts: 15
    Well, I tried to build the characters for Tutu and used for the Blackguard Kit "Sword and Fist" Mod. There The Blackguard is actually a Fighter!