Skip to content

Should the new characters be optional dlcs?

Comments

• NouserNouser Member Posts: 53
    edited September 2012
    mod disponibility,intellectual characteristics influencing dialogue,alignment change,more creature variety,more spell effects,more customization options (they already added this),class balancing . All of these are more important contents.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    @HexHammer - You have nothing to worry about as the DLC included with BG:EE is just part of one installation. You simply run the installer, activate it once, and everything is downloaded automatically for you.

@Nouser - I hope to help clear this up with you. In the original BG there are hundreds of NPC's wandering around the game world. The three new DLC NPC's are going to be NPC's like this, where you have the option to talk to them or not. If you choose to not talk to them then the game does not change in any way other than being BG in the BG2 engine, along with the other bug fixes, and UI change. The dialog additions for original characters you will not see unless you talk to the three 3 NPC's.
    RedGuard
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    edited September 2012
    That sounds a lot like new content, which I think it's a bit hypocritical to draw the line at NPC's because you want to preserve the old BG and ask for that at the same time.
    edited September 2012

@Nouser - I hope to help clear this up with you. In the original BG there are hundreds of NPC's wandering around the game world. The three new DLC NPC's are going to be NPC's like this, where you have the option to talk to them or not. If you choose to not talk to them then the game does not change in any way other than being BG in the BG2 engine, along with the other bug fixes, and UI change. The dialog additions for original characters you will not see unless you talk to the three 3 NPC's.

Allow me to keep skeptical. Lets wait and see.
    edited September 2012
    RedGuard said:

That sounds a lot like new content, which I think it's a bit hypocritical to draw the line at NPC's because you want to preserve the old BG and ask for that at the same time.

Nothing of this is really new content. As the game had all of these previously, but they did not develop all of their potential.
    Example,the game had alignments,but they did not change,independently of your reputation.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    kamuizin said:

@Balquo, insightful notice, but is it true? Cos ATARI didn't yielded to Beamdog BG license, just partially assigned it (and because of that a lot of restrictions are being done), so i have some reservations if the old game will vanish or not.

I suppose I needed /sarcasm.

If BE:EE turned out to be a disaster I just don't understand how that could affect anyone who enjoyed the first, as the original game is always going to be there. Nothing can change that and nothing should affect that. Similar to when movies get remade and people scream you are going to destroy it! Destroy what? They are not touching the original. Ah whatever.
    Do you think it will affect the torrent disponibility?
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    One needs to change 1! byte in the .exe to disable all new joinable npcs. Entirely. They won't appear as a creature or even rumour. Next time you come that BGEE shouldn't implement the black pits, because that was not in the original and also shouldn't have altered the GUI because the old was better.
    What is the black pits?
    You're talking changing of game features, which is again hypocritical if you're calling for no new NPC's with the released game because you want to keep the old BG sacred. You clearly don't mind changing the old BG when it suits you.

Also, I'm sceptical as to your assertion that none of which you listed as being new content. I'm a little confused to what you think doesn't qualify as new content since you say "but they did not develop all of their potential". To me that seems to be edging towards like saying the mod 'Unfinished Business' (or really anything that was potentially cut from BG) isn't new content because it may have been planned for BG but didn't make it. It's still new/additional content and goes against keeping the old BG intact.
    edited September 2012
    Redguard,unfinished business is an unnoficial mod. Thats what makes it good. When i speak of "mod disponibility" its about making mod installation smooth and easy (even packed,in some cases) to players.

Alignments,character customization,intellectual characteristics are all in the original game. But Orcs and goblins in the bg2 should be added to bg1 because replacing them with only xvarts suck :)
    Post edited by Nouser on
    I think ill be gone now.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Balquo said:

kamuizin said:

@Balquo, insightful notice, but is it true? Cos ATARI didn't yielded to Beamdog BG license, just partially assigned it (and because of that a lot of restrictions are being done), so i have some reservations if the old game will vanish or not.

I suppose I needed /sarcasm.

If BE:EE turned out to be a disaster I just don't understand how that could affect anyone who enjoyed the first, as the original game is always going to be there. Nothing can change that and nothing should affect that. Similar to when movies get remade and people scream you are going to destroy it! Destroy what? They are not touching the original. Ah whatever.
    Dude, did you replied to my comment or did you quoted me and gave answer to another post, cos what you wrote has nothing to do whit what i asked. Just to be sure i will ask and "explain" what i asked:

You said that after the release of BG enhanced edition, the old BG will stop of being sold by an yet to be explained reason. That's what i understand and why i made this question to you.

So, what i want to know is: Taking in fact that ATARI didn't gave "all" BG rights to Beamdog, but only partial rights, why would ATARI stop to sell the old BG after the release of BG EE? Will be by law reasons? Contractual reasons? Good faith?
    It sucks because people who dont live in the u.s totally depend on torrents. And i think they will be in extinction after the EE edition.
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288

@HexHammer - You have nothing to worry about as the DLC included with BG:EE is just part of one installation. You simply run the installer, activate it once, and everything is downloaded automatically for you.

I do that without internet?

• BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    @kamuizin Sorry, man. Thought you were the guy who I quoted originally.
    Anyway, I wrote that in joke. BG will continue to sell I'm sure.
    edited September 2012
    Nouser said:

Let me ask you this, what you do you think is going to change or not be right with the new NPC's?
    HexHammer said:

I do that without internet?

You need the Internet to activate the first time, as this game is only available online. Once you have purchased and downloaded the game and activated it, you can play it without the Internet.

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    edited September 2012
    @HexHammer - If you have no internet, then how are you going to download the game? Unless I'm mistaken, the game is only going to get a digital release.

Edit: Ninja'd. Again. This forum really needs a "somebody has posted before you" warning.
    edited September 2012

Nouser said:

Let me ask you this, what you do you think is going to change or not be right with the new NPC's?
    I do not trust new canon content. It is a lack of trust, becuase i have not seen it yet. So ,i would prefer it to be optional

edited September 2012
    Nouser said:

Redguard,unfinished business is an unnoficial mod. Thats what makes it good. When i speak of "mod disponibility" its about making mod installation smooth and easy (even packed,in some cases) to players.

Alignments,character customization,intellectual characteristics are all in the original game.

I'm wasn't really talking about mod availability or compatability, just implying that from what you said it seems that you may regard content that may have been meant to have been implemented but wasn't actually used in the original game as original content (though Unfinished Business is more of an extreme example due to how much it does change things).

Though you're saying that most of what you're asking is in the original game, but on the other hand you are asking for 'more of' in some cases which would definitely be new content. Even the stuff of the junk stuff that's unused but present in the game's files would be considered new and a change from the old BG (some cases more than others).

In the cases of where you're not asking for 'more of' I'm still getting the impression that you're still asking for content changes yet view it as original content.
    edited September 2012
    I think making the old content even better is more important than more characters.
    edited September 2012
    Nouser said:

I think making the old content even better is more important than more characters.

How can you trust them to change/improve old content "to your judgement of canon" but not add new characters that meet said requirement?

RedGuardsepotter
    edited September 2012
    Have i suggested official canon changings? non-official canon/optional changes are ok.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Not to nitpick, but "dialogue changes based on alignment and abilities" is a change to original content, because at the very least you have to write the new dialogue and responses to said dialogue, and in order to make it meaningful you also then have to create significant results of those dialogue options.

And those dialogue pieces will be written by the same guy who's writing the new NPCs.

Where exactly is the problem, here?
    RedGuard
    Aosaw.I always see people trying to do "supermods" and failing (example: medieval 2 total war supermod). Having a business company backing that effort,gives opportunity and capacity to do this.

So, getting the mod of the bg1 character dalogues and mixing it with these changes,could make the game great. If they change things too much,simply packing then and making them a dlc or expansion to the game would no be that difficult,i guess.
    I'm confused how you can accept mod changes to the original content being implemented, but the NPC's will ruin the old BG. You're already proposing significant changes. The stuff that Beamdog are adding is optional, but what you ask for would mean noticeable gameplay changes.

I just think you're arguing for what suits you and not what keeps the old BG intact.
    edited September 2012
    RedGuard said:

I'm confused how you can accept mod changes to the original content being implemented, but the NPC's will ruin the old BG. You're already proposing significant changes. The stuff that Beamdog are adding is optional, but what you ask for would mean noticeable gameplay changes.

I just think you're arguing for what suits you and not what keeps the old BG intact.

Having the greater changes being added externally leaves up to the player if he want changes or not.

Sort of ignoring the point there. The changes you request may arguably be greater than just three NPC's (and some new areas) that you'll never see if you choose not to interact with them. You propose changes to the actual gameplay that wouldn't be optional yet argue the entirely avoidable new content should be taken from the game and made DLC.

Which one actually keeps the old BG more intact and which one is actually the greater change? Your argument falls flat for me.

Regardless, I'm done. At this point I'm just going round in circles.
    edited September 2012
    No.I think if something change the game too much,than is optional. But the best optional stuff should be promply disponible to the player. In the form of dlc, expansion,etc .

The most severe change is always regarding the canon.
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    edited September 2012
    Tanthalas said:

Umm... They're already optional. You don't have to recruit them. Hell, you don't even have to talk to them.

Done and done.
    Agreed.

It's baffling how many "remove feature X from the game because I personally don't need it" threads are coming out these days.

sepotter