Skip to content

Which Game scenario would you like to see enhanced after Baldur's Gate I+II?

NachtwacheNachtwache Member Posts: 36
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I know these are dreams of the future, but why not ;-) - Or would you rather like to see Baldurs Gate III?
  1. Which Game scenario would you like to see enhanced after Baldur's Gate I+II?144 votes
    1. Planescape: Torment
      40.28%
    2. Icewind Dale
      17.36%
    3. Neverwinter Nights
        3.47%
    4. Baldur's Gate III
      38.89%

Comments

• NachtwacheNachtwache Member Posts: 36
    As I've said in another thread Planescape Torment seems to be the game that was released most incomplete.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited September 2012
    As much as I love PS:T, I'd rather have a new game.
    Post edited by Jalily on
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Definitely PS:T. Such a unique and interesting game, I'd love to see what they would do with it. It's really something special.

Icewind Dale I feel is rather fine as it is. There would be some value in getting the EE bonuses of kits and whatnot, and the prospect of IWD spells getting backported to BG:EE/BG2:EE would be cool. Frankly I'd love to see some BG-izing of IWD with joinable NPCs and some nonlinearity added in, more sidequests and regions etc. but I don't think that's likely to happen.

NWN1? Why bother really, the OC is well...rubbish, SotU is average and HotU quite decent but the NWN series was really made for the custom content and, as such, NWN2 is already the enhanced edition as far as that's concerned (though there are several good points that the NWN1 engine has over the second). What would be the goal of an enhanced edition for this?

BG3 I don't entirely understand the desire for. There won't be another 2nd edition AD&D rules game at this point and you can't continue the storyline of the player character. I suppose it's more a new game with the spirit of BG but we've seen before developers claim their games to be spiritual successors to BG and well, not be. If they make something and badge it BG3, it'd better be bloody good!
  • roboticsunroboticsun Member Posts: 42
    edited September 2012
    Enhanced PST is preferable,but they'd better get Chris Avellone involved
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    My second place vote would have been for Torment, as the game in question is absolutely amazing... however; I too want a new game, as @Jalily said, and to top that off, I am quite curious as to where Beamdog's best and brightest decide to go with the story
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672
    lol, picked the wrong option. I meant BGIII.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    Baldur's Gate 3 , no more request
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    My PS:T vote is entirely selfish--

I never got a chance to play it when it first came out, but I heard wonderful things about it. I'd rather experience it as an enhanced edition where I can play it unmodded before I start trying to meddle with it (like I do with BG almost every time I run it).
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    edited September 2012
    BG3 would be something to wait for. P:T second, as it has tremendous potential but is quite incomplete (and has terrible, really horrid interface)

I don't really care about IWD and even less about NWN.
  • WonderviceWondervice Member Posts: 56
    As much as I like Planescape, it is always better to have something new (as long as it is up to standards of course)
    As for NWN - a visual upgrade would be nice, but the NWN official content was kinda bland and boring. Meanwhile among the fan made modules you can find the best CRPG's of all time IMHO, but they would most likely get lost in the enchancement process.
    In my opinion it's nearly impossible to create a sequel to Baldurs Gate II which is satisfying. Expecially because ToB has sealed every NPC's fate. In case you want some kind of new game just look for Project Eternity.
  • XenonXenon Member Posts: 13
    Nobody likes Neverwinter Nights.
  • NiphireNiphire Member Posts: 15
    I'd rather have something with completely different game mechanics. Get free from restrictions, let them do their own thing.
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    Torment, Icewind Dale 1+2, TOEE, and then BG III.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Planescape: Torment assured. Baldur's Gate 3 will be a new game and Beamdog need more money and stability on game market to release it, The function of the enhanced editions partially is to give Beamdog a stable ground on this market.

Besides PS:T TRULY need an enhancement, no matter in which way they enhance IWD, adding or not new content (NPCs, more side quests...) PS:T should be done first. Neverwinter Nights has no reason to be listed and that game don't need an enhancement, it needs oblivion only.
  • ShadowWolfShadowWolf Member Posts: 33
    edited September 2012
    I'd like to see a remake of ps:t as well this list just makes me want all of the things enhanced and bg3 and never really liked nwn all that much
  • HecklerHeckler Member Posts: 7
    Xenon said:

Nobody likes Neverwinter Nights.

I really liked Neverwinter Nights , not so much the oc but there were many excellent mods . Anyone else following the Tortured Hearts game ? it failed on Kickstarter but is still progressing and looks interesting.

As to the poll I think after BG2 they will overhaul PS:T then hopefully do BG3 , which should be a completely new story in the Forgotten Realms.

Just my tuppenceworth.
  • imajasjamimajasjam Member Posts: 59
    edited September 2012
    PS:T could really use a redone UI/Journal system and bug fixes.

However, if we follow the same sort of contractual rules that are applying to Beamdog in regards to what they can and can't do to Baldurs Gate, i'd be very hesitate to see anything more.

If they aren't allowed to restore + flesh out removed content/broken quests from that game and are forced to just add brand new content and characters, they could quite easily tarnish the themes of the game, I don't think signficant content to PS:T (i.e new joinable NPC's and areas) would be as straight foward as in Baldurs Gate.

I dont see how you could change the PS:T version of the infinity engine into the new Beamdog version (ToB with tweaks) without ruining the feel of the game.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a well done enhanced PS:T, I just reckon it would be abit harder to do writing/design wise.

4th/5th ed (whatevers current) DND CRPG set in modern day (realms time) would be my prefered call after they do BG2.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Make Icewind Dale the awesome game it could be. Add content to the base game and bury Trials of the Luremaster so it never sees the light of day again.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Well i only support a PS:T enhancement IF the contractual terms allow Beamdog to have more freedom of act in the project, the same contract for Baldur's Gate in PS:T would surely ruin the game.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Planescape torment is already good as it is, me guesses ... however, IWD would be quite more interesting using 3rd edition rules!
    DJKajuru said:

Planescape torment is already good as it is, me guesses ... however, IWD would be quite more interesting using 3rd edition rules!

If you only take the first half of PS:T into account, then you're right ...
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    We had that one already but NEVERWINTER nights @Trentoster hehe;) do it!!!