Skip to content

Container Item Duplication Bug

RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
edited November 2012 in Original BG2 Bugs
In BGII, sometimes when you put items in a container, that item (or item stack) will be stored on a separate stack within the container. And, sometimes, when you try to remove items from that stack, they are removed successfully but reappear when you reopen the container. You have to remove the original stack completely first before you can remove items from the duplicate stack permanently.

Making the second stack for similar items is not a bug. This happens when the item's flags or other values are different then the item that is already in there (not identified, stolen / fenced, not pickpocketable, more / less charges).

Not being able to permanently remove items from the second stack is the bug. Based on my observations, this error seems to be tied to the flag that controls whether or not an item is pickpocketable.

Thus, if you put 40 arrows into your bag and then inserted 20 arrows you looted off some enemy that have the "not pickpocketable" flag, you would have one stack of 40 arrows and one separate stack of 20 arrows. If you remove arrows from the second stack, they will reappear next time you open the bag. To remove the 20 arrow stack, you must remove the 40 arrow stack completely first.

My guess that a quick fix would be to remove the "not pickpocketable" flag from items once dropped / picked up.

Assuming the developers ever see this stuff, I hope that helps.
Post edited by Balquo on
BhryaenGriegDurenasCrevsDaak

Comments

• DeathKnightDeathKnight Member Posts: 93
    It's not a bug, but a very convenient coincidence! For example, items in item container sometimes duplicate. This is useful; for instance, you can get only 1 bowstring of Gond, and it is needed by 3 different bow recipes! Don't fix that which is NOT broken!
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    edited October 2013

It's not a bug, but a very convenient coincidence! For example, items in item container sometimes duplicate. This is useful; for instance, you can get only 1 bowstring of Gond, and it is needed by 3 different bow recipes! Don't fix that which is NOT broken!

I fear you will be disappointed then, when they fix this bug. You might not think it's a bug, but it is, just like being able to give yourself infinite hitpoints by importing your character with a familiar is a bug.