Skip to content

Request for previous patch.

Given that the colour "upgrade" on the character sprites is giving me some problems playing the EE edition of BG1, Iam going to have to downgrade the version of it. Seems the new sprites got added when SoD came out. Is this doable? I just can't play the game in its current state. I am guessing if I download the game a new to install it, the game forces the current patched version on me too?

Comments

• GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    If you're using Steam, you can download the 1.3 version by selecting "1.3 beta" in properties->beta.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    "Welcome to my nightmare", as Alice Cooper would have put it. I won't say more than that. You can check out my history concerning this if you want.
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    Not using steam. I loathe steam. Bought the game from the Beamdog store. Both BG 1 and 2, actually. Looks like I can only download BG1 version 2.0 from this site now.
    @fkirenicus

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/51139/is-there-a-road-back-to-1-3-20xx/p2

I wouldn't be surprised if you've been trying to do something logically impossible for a few days without thinking about why it doesn't work.

@Rawgrim Well, there's no way to go back for Beamdog client, you can request a Steam key by contacting the support.
  • InconnuInconnu Member Posts: 99
    Well since you already bought the game and just want to go back to a previous version, I'm sure you could find one up on a certain nautical themed torrent site. Not that I approve of that sort of thing...*cough*
    Same story as me, then. NOT updating BG2 nor the Android versions. Actually got 1.3 back but that's another story for another time.
    Seems my savegames got messed up by this too. Several hundred hours right down the drain.

Thanks, Beamdog. Classy move.

@fkirenicus

I wouldn't be surprised if you've been trying to do something logically impossible for a few days without thinking about why it doesn't work.

Oh, where there's a will... :wink:

Inconnu said:

Well since you already bought the game and just want to go back to a previous version, I'm sure you could find one up on a certain nautical themed torrent site. Not that I approve of that sort of thing...*cough*

I kind of need to patch it up a little bit. Given the bugs. The problem would be solved if Beamdog could just put the unpatched version up in the store or somewhere else, and let people download patches individually.

@fkirenicus

Oh, where there's a will... :wink:

Still messes up all the savegames, though. I had 3 playthroughs completed so I could import various characters into the upcoming expansion pack. Kind of pointless to even buy that one, given that it comes with the same graphics issues.
    Ok ok.

People attention please, if you don't get it right now, this will happen to you with many other software updates.

Softwares on your computer need to store data like your preferences or your savegames. When they update, sometimes, the way this data is stored changes due to a software update, so the format of your config or your save games changed. In this case, the way your config is stored changed and the way your savegames are stored changed too, no major changes but still changes.

So when you update your software, you have this 2.0 software that has to read data from your previous version, and to this 2.0 software, it looks incomplete because it's looking for the new format. Now the new software very often has a way to read the incomplete data and set default values for things that weren't stored in the previous versions. This is because, when the 2.0 software is written, the format used by the previous version is known.

On the other hand, when the previous version was coded, the programmers didn't know how the future version would look like so the old software isn't able to read the new format unless the new format is made specifically with this in consideration (and only if the previous version was capable of it too) so basically, it doesn't make sense to expect your data in a new format to be read by the old software, so if you want to go back to the old software, you need to let it rewrite all the data. That's why you need to remove from your documents the data that has been altered by the 2.0 version. The 1.3 cannot read this new version, if you want the 1.3 to work, you can't let your files altered by the new version where they are.

Ok ok.

People attention please, if you don't get it right now, this will happen to you with many other software updates.

Softwares on your computer need to store data like your preferences or your savegames. When they update, sometimes, the way this data is stored changes due to a software update, so the format of your config or your save games changed. In this case, the way your config is stored changed and the way your savegames are stored changed too, no major changes but still changes.

So when you update your software, you have this 2.0 software that has to read data from your previous version, and to this 2.0 software, it looks incomplete because it's looking for the new format. Now the new software very often has a way to read the incomplete data and set default values for things that weren't stored in the previous versions. This is because, when the 2.0 software is written, the format used by the previous version is known.

On the other hand, when the previous version was coded, the programmers didn't know how the future version would look like so the old software isn't able to read the new format unless the new format is made specifically with this in consideration (and only if the previous version was capable of it too) so basically, it doesn't make sense to expect your data in a new format to be read by the old software, so if you want to go back to the old software, you need to let it rewrite all the data. That's why you need to remove from your documents the data that has been altered by the 2.0 version. The 1.3 cannot read this new version, if you want the 1.3 to work, you can't let your files altered by the new version where they are.

And since the savegames have all been altered by the 2.0 version?
    You can hope that it'll only be the ones you've overwritten.

The 2.0 software might "think" like this though : "since i'm updating this data to the new format, I might as well update all the data to the new format, this way I won't have to think about it again later".

That wouldn't be the most user friendly way but depending on the software it could be a big gain of time. For the future, back up your software before updating.

The 2.0 software might "think" like this though : "since i'm updating this data to the new format, I might as well update all the data to the new format, this way I won't have to think about it again later".

That wouldn't be the most user friendly way but depending on the software it could be a big gain of time. For the future, back up your software before updating.

Good advice. But I have never run into any games that has changed the graphics so much with a patch.
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Rawgrim said:

Good advice. But I have never run into any games that has changed the graphics so much with a patch.
    I dont suppose you can post some comparisson screens to see whats changed? I havent really played the EEs over the years so I cant really tell, but it still looks like BG to me (without sprite outlines that is.. and they are Bg2 sprites I think).
    Rawgrim said:

Truth be told, the "mission pack format" as it was called back in '99 when TotSC was released broke compatibility with the standard format in the original Baldur's Gate.
    However, there's one HUGE difference: in '99 it was clearly stated when you installed TotSC that this was the case....!

For the future, back up your software before updating.

And how, pray, is one supposed to do that when there are no installation files? Is it enough to backup the game install directory and the My documents\bgee directory and subdirs? No registry settings that must kept intact or anything?

Rawgrim said:

I dont suppose you can post some comparisson screens to see whats changed? I havent really played the EEs over the years so I cant really tell, but it still looks like BG to me (without sprite outlines that is.. and they are Bg2 sprites I think).
    Nope. Since I can't take screenshots of the previous version. Impossible to downgrade.

Right now it looks like cartoonish characters atop a live action movie. Looks like they are standing half a foot or more above the ground.
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320

And how, pray, is one supposed to do that when there are no installation files? Is it enough to backup the game install directory and the My documents\bgee directory and subdirs? No registry settings that must kept intact or anything?
    Yeah, copy/paste the install directory in a different location. I believe the my docs/bgee will still be used regardless of where the back up is.

Rawgrim said:

Truth be told, the "mission pack format" as it was called back in '99 when TotSC was released broke compatibility with the standard format in the original Baldur's Gate.
    However, there's one HUGE difference: in '99 it was clearly stated when you installed TotSC that this was the case....!
    A warning would have been nice, yes. At least I would have made backups for my saves if that was the case.
    edited April 2016
    illathid said:

Yeah, copy/paste the install directory in a different location. I believe the my docs/bgee will still be used regardless of where the back up is.
    And once the patcher runs an installs a new version? One can simply overwrite that with files backed-up? It sounds too good to be true... But since I have used Windows since 3.11 I may be somewhat ...prejudiced.
    When the savegames are patched to 2.0 already, they won't work with version 1.3 of the game.
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320

illathid said:

And once the patcher runs an installs a new version? One can simply overwrite that with files backed-up? It sounds too good to be true... But since I have used Windows since 3.11 I may be somewhat ...prejudiced.
    You can just run the backed up version directly. You could have both a 2.0 version and 1.3 version installed at the same time (granted they would share the mydocs/bgee folder which could cause some issues if you wanted to play both at once).
    illathid said:

You can just run the backed up version directly. You could have both a 2.0 version and 1.3 version installed at the same time (granted they would share the mydocs/bgee folder which could cause some issues if you wanted to play both at once).

If this is correct: Oh how much frustration and things written better left unwritten (both by me and others in the same situation) that could have been avoided if but Beamdog put such information in the client patcher window. At least when upgrades of the magnitude of 2.0 were released.

illathid said:

illathid said:

It is not possible to download the 1.3 version. The store right here on this site has 1 version available for download, and that one is already patched to the 2.0 version. Beamdog isn't even giving me a chance to fix the problem myself.
    Yes you can have as many folders with a baldur.exe or a SiegeofDragonspear.exe as you want, the baldur.exe will look for game ressources(understand maps, override etc) in the folder it is located in, and for player data(config and save games and portaits) in the My documents/Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition folder.

What I do to keep things in order, I have a folder tilted "Save management" in my player data folder in which I put all the save games related to a character under a folder for each character. This limits the number of save games that the game reads at a given time.
    I just sent a refund request for the EE editions. I can't play them now anyway. Hope it works. Not my fault they don't factor in people that a colourblind when they "improve" their games.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I could, but I won't. I don't use steam. It is a principle thing. DRM, forced to be online while playing. Rubs me the wrong way. Much like Gamergate rubs people the wrong way, I think.

I have the old BG games on GoG, and they work like a charm. No crisis in that regard. Just sucks to pay for something and have it get ruined by a patch, and not being able to fix it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.