Skip to content

A game like BG? Un jeu à la hauteur de BG?

MystreMystre Member Posts: 78
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Hi everyone! As everyone here, I can't wait to try the Enhanced Edition of Baldur's Gate. I delete everything (mods, add-on, etc..) on my computer one month before its last release date. There were some bugs and i've wanted to begin the new one with a fresh start. I told myself that it would be just one month without playing the best game ever (in my opinion). But now it was delayed, i would like to play another game (just to wait). But I have no idea of which one... I would like something as good (as possible) than BG. I've already played Icewind Dale and Neverwinter Night. But is there a recent game which could compete with BG?

Salut à tous! Comme la plupart ici, j'ai hâte de jouer à la nouvelle édition de BG. J'ai tout supprimé sur mon ordi (mods, add-on, etc...) un mois avant la date initialement prévue. Il y avait quelques bugs sur mon installation qui me saoulaient, et je voulais commencer quelque chose de vraiment neuf et propre. Un mois à attendre, ce n'était pas long à attendre et j'ai trouvé à m'occuper en attendant. Mais à présent que la date a été répoussée, je voudrais m'occuper avec un autre jeu en attendant, mais je ne sais pas quoi.. Pour ma part BG (la trilogie) est vraiment le meilleur jeu qui existe. J'ai déjà joué à Icewind Dale et Neverwinter Night. Mais je voudrais tester un jeu récent qui soit à la hauteur (autant que possible du moins) du fameux BG! Auriez-vous des suggestions à me faire?

Thanx to all!!
Merci à tous!!
Post edited by Mystre on

Comments

• HaggardBlazeHaggardBlaze Member Posts: 53
    That's not really what this section is about.......
  • DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    Have better luck posting on the general boards.
  • MystreMystre Member Posts: 78
    I changed the section :)
  • Pluc082Pluc082 Member Posts: 80
    C'est difficile de trouver un jeu "à la hauteur" de BG! De mon côté Dragon Age Origins et le dernier bon RPG auquel j'ai joué.
    je n'ai jamais essayé Dragon Age.. c'est pas un MMO ça? on peut quand même avoir une équipe entièrement contrôlable? j'ai vu une vidéo ou ça reprenait l'histoire de BG2.. Graphiquement ça a l'air de rendre pas mal.. mais est-ce que ça reprend toutes l'histoire? Les sorts, etc...
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    Dragon Age Origins is not an MMO, is a single-player game and yes, you have complete control over your party members.
    Ok thanks! And does the full game of BG2 is followed in Dragon Age Origin?
    No, the BG saga and DAO are separate games set in different fantasy realms with different rulesets. Most likely that was just a video made using DAO's engine, as porting the whole SoA (with or without ToB) into a DAO mod would be a huge undertaking.
    If you like good party-based RPGs is worth giving DAO a try.
  • Temple of elemental evil is good (there are certain patches and mods that fix problems it has out of the box) Or if you want to try something with a different setting while you wait, try Fallout or Arcanum (Just do a little research first, character creation can be cumbersome)
    Both Fallout (1 and 2) and Arcanum are great games although they might not be what the OP asked for since he said he wants a recent game. An amazing game really worth playing is Planescape Torment, but it's not recent either.
    I've already played Temple of Elemental Evil, Fallout (1, 2 and I just bought the 3rd, but it doesn't work...(it shut off my computer while I'm just created my character)). Maybe I try to have a look on Planescape Torment.. But I didn't find it in stores.. I'm gonna try to download them or purchase them on the net..
    And maybe Arcanum too.
    You can find both PST and Arcanum on gog.com
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited September 2012
    Ugh French. Reminds me of highschool :p

Have you tried Divine Divinity? Maybe Nox? I know these games aren't exactly recent, but I view them as being decent RPG's. There aren't on the level of BG, but like I said I'd say they were decent (though the voice acting in Nox is pretty dreadful I will admit and it is closer to a hack/slash RPG game like Diablo than a game like BG).

I assume of course that you have tried The Witcher/The Witcher 2? Without knowing the games you've tried I'm kind of shooting in the dark here :p. There really aren't any Baldur's Gate clones that I'm aware of (at least none that are currently out).
  • ramagonsramagons Member Posts: 96
    if only there was a game that called itself a spiritual successor to baldur's gate

(camera pans down the giant goddamned list of the games that have billed themselves as this, a la the statues of children of bhaal in the baldur's gate final video. Just like in that video, ending in a giant, grinning skull laughing from the burning pit of hell that is gog.com)
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    ramagons said:

if only there was a game that called itself a spiritual successor to baldur's gate

(camera pans down the giant goddamned list of the games that have billed themselves as this, a la the statues of children of bhaal in the baldur's gate final video. Just like in that video, ending in a giant, grinning skull laughing from the burning pit of hell that is gog.com)

Game declare's itself the spiritual successor to baldurs gate.
    Cutscene starts.
    The lead developer wakes up to find himself in hell, relieved to be still alive.
    Suddenly, he hears a scritching sound. What was that?
    He turns around.
    Thousands and thousands of baldurs gate fans are behind him.
    Stay back!
    He tries to throw a fireball at them, only to see it fizzle and a low metacritc fan score appears in it's place
    uh oh.
    The baldur's gate fans charge,, climbing on his back, shoulders, posting complaints about him on interenet forums, thus overwhelming him completely.
    He falls into a pit of acid.
    But wait...
    it's not really acid.
    Gog.com

*fade to black*

suddenly, we are looking down on a large circular table.
    6 hooded figures surround it.
    "Baldur's gate fans have become too powerful!"
    "There is no reason to be concerned. That fate of this foolish fandom has been sealed"
    "But can we be so sure?"
    "Baldur's gate is doomed!"
    Camera pans out.
    It's EA central HQ.

Baldurs gate music begins playing.
  • ramagonsramagons Member Posts: 96
    I can't really think of a follow up to that, other than a cutscene depicting how you have ascended to playing games with significant sale prices on steam and are led to your glorious future by the angelic, green-skinned, glowing form of the solar Gabe Newell
    Besides Dragon Age Origins, Arcanum and PST you could also try Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2. KotOR games are sci-fi, not fantasy, but they're very good.
  • Lord_GayLord_Gay Member Posts: 94
    Are you looking more for a fantasy game, or a game with plot and story? Here are some games to consider, with five stars for most of them:

***** Gothic 1 and 2 (German fantasy games, 1 PC, good story, really enjoyed)
    *** Neverwinter Nights (fantasy D&D game, 2 PCs, decent story)
    ***** KOTOR 1 and 2 (Star Wars games, 3 PCs, excellent story and excellent dialogues)
    ***** Deus Ex (modern day sci-fi intrigue game, 1 PC, great story)
    ***** VtM: Bloodlines (modern day vampire game, 1 PC, possibly my fav CRPG of all time)
    ***** Morrowind (fantasy game, 1 PC, non-linear with IMMENSE area to explore)

I'm not up on the latest games so I can't recommend much there. Oblivion and Skyrim came after Morrowind, but i haven't played them. I haven't played the Dragon Age games, or Fallout 3, or the latest Deus Ex version, or even NWN 2. I also haven't played Gothic 3, Arcania or RIsen. I mention them only because even though I don't know if they're good or not, you can look them up and see what you think.

If you want just a simple dungeon crawl game without plot or story, then perhaps Dungeon Crawl (Stone Soup) might be what you want. It's not fancy, but it's free.

Steam.com has a great list of games with videos to give you a sense of how it plays. GOG.com has a collection of older games like BG, with screenshots and numerous reviews by gamers on each game, as well as lists of similar games to help you find what you want.. Plus, all the games are around $5 USD (don't know euro).

Lastly, if you find a game you might like, go to YouTube and look for "Let's Play" videos for that game, to see somebody playing it which will give you an even better sense of if youll like it or not.